last chance for this mare please help now!!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby J Dexter » Fri May 02, 2008 11:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I understand where you are coming from DQ.  I would have to see something pretty special about this horse to justify re-homing her.  As you said, there are many good and potentially great horses going for slaughter,  why risk personal safety on an animal like this one.  But ultimately, if the new home is WELL informed about the 'issues' this mare has and wants to take a chance on her, then really its up to them.  The current owner does have to take the responsibility in making sure that the potential new home is experienced and capeable of handling this horse with minimal risks though.  They should not let someone take this horse just to save the mares life and get her off their property.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
J Dexter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri May 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Hopefully this new potential home works out for the mare and they really are experienced.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I would suggest to the owners to have a full vet check done- maybe the mare has a hormonal imbalance, or a chemical imbalance in the brain. You never know- it could be something potentially *easy* to fix. One of my first thoughts was a hormone or chemical inbalance because of what you mentioned with the two mares being completely opposite. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I do hope these new people are experienced and can handle the mare. I agree- an auction is the worst way to go. Either she would get sold to some unsuspecting buyer and real danger would occur (which I think it's unfair and irresponsible on the part of the current owners- once you take ownership of a horse I believe that you are responsible for the horse onward), or she'd get sold to the meat factory. I don't have anything wrong with raising a horse for meat (not that I myself would ever eat horse- but in Europe horse is a delicacy) or even slaughter- provided it is done humanely- but I don't view the commercial way of slaughter humane. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#If anything should come down to the bottom line, the mare should be euthanized. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#But, I understand what you're doing Eccap and why- everyone wants to hear about the happy ending where the mare turns around and becomes happy and healthy. I'm sure we all hope for that. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to General