Puma attack

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Big cat in Ontario! That's crazy. Yikes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear the stallion is generally ok though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby saddlesore » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 pm

There have been cougar attacks & sightings now in southern Ontario for the last 2 years.  I heard they were in the Belleville area & I think Cannington also reported a sighting.  I remember hearing warnings on the news last year about it.
saddlesore
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eileen » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Right you are SaddleSore, I do remember now, the sightings of the big cat in the Sarnia/London area, eeek that is right in my back yard.  I was away for a good part of last summer, so had forgotten those headlines. Best to be on the lookout no matter where we are in Ont.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby cheekyhorse » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We were just having a discussion about cougars and horses on the COTH forum.  Who's stallion was attacked, does anyone know?   Anyhow, there is a big difference in opinions on the other forum, some posters don't think that a cat prowling and hanging around someone's farm and their horses is a big deal, and others would be scared and would want to shoot it.  Interesting thread going on over there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cheekyhorse
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally, I think it is a big deal. Mind you, I wouldn't shoot it (I loooove big cats! From afar that is...but I think they are beautiful creatures), but I would contact some sort of animal patrol to try and catch it and return it to a better habitat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cats are predators and horses are prey. My godmother has family who has a large farm out in the foothills near Calgary and she was telling about how there the cats are a danger (along with bears and such). In terms of the people, you don't go anywhere on the farm without taking the 3 large dogs with you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to General