Updates!!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Updates!!

Postby chenders01 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:09 am

So let's hear everyone's updates on their ponies! I'll start:

2009 has not been the greatest year for Raymond and I. He started coughing in June so I put him on Respi-Free which worked for June and July. And then in August, he started coughing again, so I had the vet out and he was scoped, and found to have an "allergic airway". He had a lot of inflammation so he was put on Prednisolone. I also put him on outdoor board so that he could be in the fresh air all the time, although I've continued to pay for a stall so that he can come in on the really bad-weather nights. He comes in maybe one night a week...the rest of the time, he stays out.

After the Prednisolone, he was still coughing, so I decided to try some natural remedies before going back to drugs. I did that throughout October and part of November, and they didn't really do anything, so decided to go back to my vet.

I managed to get him to three dressage shows in '09 (May, June, July) but had to skip the August one because he was coughing too much. I basically had to stop doing any real work with him, and could only take him for walking hacks...but I overcame my fear of hacking by doing this. We only have roads to hack on and Raymond has been such a steady-eddy, so that was a big accomplishment for me :)

In early December, I heard about a study that the OVC is doing for horses who cough and have allergies, so I took him there on Dec 17th and they discovered that he had pneumonia (this did not come up when he was scoped in August...it developed after that time). So he just finished a round of antibiotics to clear that up, and is on Prednisolone for another month, to clear up any residual inflammation. In February, he will start allergy meds (needles) through the OVC, which are free as part of the study...so there is a light at the end of the tunnel in that regard.

I haven't been able to ride him for most of December :(

It has been a long haul, and a pretty sucky year, but I am hopeful that, once he is on the allergy needles, this will maintain him so that I'm able to resume a normal riding routine with him. My goals for 2010 are not geared towards showing...my BO has a 4-horse trailer and I'm trying to talk her into trailering a group of us to places where we can go hacking on real trails. I just want to be able to have fun with Raymond, and I think I'd have a lot more fun hacking than showing. He is with me for life, and I want to do easy things that will not stress his lungs too much...the allergies are something he will always have.

So, that's it for us. Next??
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Updates!!

Postby Fritz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 am

Chenders,

At any time did the vet not suggest Clenbuterol (sp?)? Much more effective then prednisone in my experiance - it's a liquid. Is he on round bales outside? If the allergies are related to dust, being outside eating dusty hay probrably won't have much effect. Wetting hay (steaming actually) that is square only is much more effective. These are just suggestions from someone who's been there, done that. Hopefully you'll see some success with the allergy shots.

I just retired a mare that suffered from allergies too - retired due to a suspensory, not the allergies. I found she was seasonal too - often worse in fall/spring then winter/summer. Super cold weather often acted her up too. Quite a management battle. I feel your pain.

In October 08 I got a new horse - a 3 year old Trak gelding as a dressage prospect who is near perfect. A really steady guy with above average movement and unflappable temperment. Took him out this season in W/T classes to get in the ring, and he had good success and proved to enjoy the showing experiance, so it was money well spent. This year we hope to be schooling 1st level to be comfortable in Training - he is 16'3 1/2 and still growing, so no point in pushing him beyond his limits. He's a forever horse for me (I think?) as long as he likes dressage, although we've freejumped him and he would make a LOVELY hunter if needed. So soft in the mouth it took 3 months to find a bit that didn't overface him :)

Anyway, looking forward to hearing other's updates. Glad the board is back up and running :)
Fritz
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Champ » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Hello,
Glad to have some updates on everyone's horsies :D

Well at the end of 2008 I wasn't riding much due to being Pregnant. But in the mean time I was teaching my fiance how to w/t/c, work over ground poles and jump some small x's with Champ. He's such a good boy and to boot the Fiance is a natural! who would have thought.

Champ had most of January and February off from hard work and my part boarder was just doing some easy stuff with him. We got back into work in March and just goofed around. There wasn't a real plan to show in 2009 and I wanted to give him time off from the ring from the past few years. After 3 years at the farm we boarded at I moved him to a far further away because I had gotten a cash job (Mat. Leave wasn't paying enough) at a big boarding/showing barn, I didnt see the point in driving from work at one barn to another over an hour away to ride especially with a baby. A younger girl started riding him at the new place and took him to a Central East Trillium show in August and a few other shows for fun. A old family friend who I used to lease her horse from started to part board Champ around this time as well and taught him some nice Dressage stuff. He seemed to enjoy it but at this barn because they were brought in so early in the day (4:00pm) he started caughing with the dry hay and lack of fresh air. We put him on Zev as it wasn't anything tooo bad and it did the trick.

After a bit of a falling out with drama and he said she said stuff I just decided to pack my stuff and get out of the stressful environment and moved him back to our old barn. Sadly I had to move him 3 months after that again (December 1st) as he pulled something in his left shoulder a few days after we moved him back to the old barn and I couldn't justify paying the price for board when I wasn't able to ride him. He's now at a friends farm getting light work. He w/t/c's soundly thank god and we've just started back to ground poles. Our plan was for us to go out eventing this year, take a well needed break from the hunter ring but I find he has lost his interest in Jumping. He just doesnt seem to enjoy it as much. So with that said I have a wonderful new coach who I take lessons from on some of her eventers. I will hopefully be bringing one of the mares out this year to some events. In the mean time Champ and I are hitting up a dressage clinic February 6t.

I thought I would let you know that Jenn (cdn-tinkerbell) who owns Manny also had a baby last year. His name is Preston, she still live in Alberta. My little girl Kadence was born January 26th and Preston was born January 27th!
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dutchie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Wow, has it ever been a long time.

Im sure some of you remember my PercheronX Gelding Percy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/theuglyduckling23/IMG_9142.jpg

We were still having our ups and down.. more downs it seemed. I tried several different coaches, and we re started him with a western trainer (Champs cousin actually) and we were doing a lot better. I had a bad fall in May of 08 and broke my foot (jumping accident. fell off, got dragged) and it totally smashed my confidence, even more so than it already was if you can imagine.. I tried riding him here or there.. mostly just lunged him but, i wasnt enjoying going out to ride anymore, i was afraid and unmotivated.. I knew it wasnt fair to keep him in a field with so much potential.I ended up selling Percy in May of 09 to a Field Hunter and he is doing fabulous with her. I started riding at the same barn Katie(CHAMP) moved to, for work, during the summer and overcame my fear of riding, and especially jumping. After the summer 09 I moved from home and am no longer riding on a regular basis. Whenever I go home occasionally and head out to the barn to ride, but only once a month or so.

Its a big transformating going from riding 3X a week, to not riding at all but I am getting used to it. I enjoy riding more. Learning on a BelgianX mare who reminds me 100% of my big guy, however I feel so much safer (shes a been there, done that kinda gal).

Im doing an animal welfare certificate with the BCSPCA and Thompson Rivers University as well as volunteering at the OSPCA and starting a new job at a doggy daycare. I will be moving this summer to BC to go to school at Thompson Rivers University for my Animal Welfare Certificate.. Definetly been a busy time since we've all spoken last!
----------------------------------------------------
Ride a draft...it makes your butt look smaller
----------------------------------------------------
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 am

Fritz wrote:Chenders,

At any time did the vet not suggest Clenbuterol (sp?)? Much more effective then prednisone in my experiance - it's a liquid. Is he on round bales outside? If the allergies are related to dust, being outside eating dusty hay probrably won't have much effect. Wetting hay (steaming actually) that is square only is much more effective. These are just suggestions from someone who's been there, done that. Hopefully you'll see some success with the allergy shots.

We talked about the options re. steroids and the vet felt that Prednisolone would be the easiest to administer and has the least side effects. If Raymond is still coughing after this round of Pred., then I'll have to go to an inhaleable steroid like Ventipulmin.

The horses at my barn get fed out of round bale feeders but the hay is off of square bales, and it's put out every day, to prevent them from stuffing their heads down into it and inhaling all the particles. I asked about having the hay put on the ground and received a resounding "NO" over that one.

I've considered moving Raymond to another barn but I don't know too many that feed small square bales on the ground. And then if they do, who knows what the care is like otherwise? I *love* the barn I'm at now and I don't want to move if I can avoid it but if anyone knows of a place in the Kitchener area that feeds hay on the ground instead of in feeders, I would go and check it out.
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:01 am

Dutchie wrote:Its a big transformating going from riding 3X a week, to not riding at all but I am getting used to it. I enjoy riding more. Learning on a BelgianX mare who reminds me 100% of my big guy, however I feel so much safer (shes a been there, done that kinda gal).

Dutchie, I'm sorry to hear that you had to sell Percy, but I give you credit for coming to the realization that he was not a good horse for you. A lot of people stay with horses for years, who are not right for them, so it's good that you decided to move him onto a new person...it sounds like he is doing well with his new owner.

And it sounds like you found a good horse to rebuild your confidence with. That is sooooo important! This riding thing is supposed to be FUN :wink:

Good luck in your school endeavours :)
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:47 am

I can see everybody so far had their issues :roll:

Well for my part I am still in my cancer battle :?

I worked the all year to improve my riding and started 2 new green horses, Lancer and Domingo. I did some shows with both on chemos which really not a party...
I found Domingo a long time partner but at the meantime, discovered my farrier was not doing a good job so had to find a new one..let the time improve horses's feet. Lancer's feet were affected so it took a good 6 months to adjust..he was really tense for that matter..Poor boy suffering. But now he is happy with the new trimer and has improved tremendously..more relax.

I have a couple of green horses still to start and find them nice home ; these projects keeps me alive and help chemos efficiency. I am up to over 20 treatments now :shock: Since the diagnostic, I am really looking to downsize, slowly but surely and have all the horses finding good home.

We stop breeding since 2 years now; I don't want to leave my husband with too many foals and unstarted young horses.

So still there, battling, having fun as long as I can and living day to day !
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby dressagequeen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:16 pm

wow - it's been forvever! Looking great Luna!

Sadly the past year has been riddled with sadness for me - I became seriously ill (and still recovering - slowly but surely) and was out of the saddle for a long time. I also lost Aris in April (RIP big man) - he died peacefully in his sleep.

On the bright side I'm back into the saddle and I still have my mare - she's coming along like gangbusters. Still having a bit of a debate on whether she wants to do dressage or hunters (no pics over fences yet...I need to get used to jumping BIG lol).

My favorite view of this world is all that I can see between the two pricked ears in front of me...
dressagequeen
Groupie
Groupie

Postby spotz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 am

Things have been going well for me. I broke up with SO & have been single for two years now. (very good thing) I am still running a small barn, I'm full with a waiting list, & have an amazing group of boarders. My 4 horses are doing well & I got a full boarder/leaser for my 6yr old gelding this past August. They are both getting along well with each other & hopefully he will be going to some shows with her this summer. I am riding my girls again & working with the 6yr old more than the 10yr old. One of my boarders is riding the 10yr old a few days a week so I can concentrate more on the young girl. I'm hoping to maybe get out & do a few schooling shows in my area this summer.
Had some sad losses since I was on here last as well....My old cat passed quietly passed away in his sleep at age 19, & my 3 dogs passed away all within a year. Two passed away from cancer, & the other to bad hips & no longer being able to walk. They were all 10 to 12 years old. I found it so hard to not have a dog around...I was so lonely without them that I eventually got a puppy. I now have a JRT & a JRT/Chihuahua cross.
Last edited by spotz on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:13 am

Wow, some big changes for everyone. Sounds like you have had a bumpy year or so Dutchie.

As for Harvey and I...we've been doing dressage since EC was up last. I guess we are doing the equivillant of level 1 and moving into some level 2 things. We had to move barns in October because the old one sold, and I think Harvey likes this barn a lot. I have seen a lot of playful behavior in her since we moved, which I am happy about, and she is soooo much nicer to ride. Since the summer, it was impossible to have a ride without at least one big spook. Now that is very abnormal, she is so relaxed at this new barn, it's awesome. She's boss in her herd and quite contented with that :wink:
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Hev339 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Yay! It's good to hear from everyone.
Sounds like everyone has had their bumps and I'm no exception, but really I am just uber-excited to have 2009 behind me and get a fresh start in 2010.

Baci's doing great. Same old crazy TB with a ridiculous personality and that's why I love him. Haven't been riding nearly as much as I would like to be, but we did move to a new barn in 2009 and get a new coach, and every time we ride with her I INSTANTLY feel and see some improvements from both Baci and myself. I think once I get back into the swing of things, it will be a good year for the two of us.

Also, DQ and I got a new project, Shae. She's an OTTB from New York State, sweet little girl and will make a wonderful horse for someone. Only 4, already making huge leaps and bounds in her training and seriously, the best personality on any horse I've ever met. Here she is:

Oh, and this is my puppy, Farley :D
Last edited by Hev339 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Magic » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Wow, lots of action going on for everyone and it's nice to see everyone keeping busy, doing well and staying in pretty high spirits.

Well, unfortunately I have no pony updates as I have been out of the saddle for longer than I care to admit and longer than I ever thought I would be, but I am planning on getting back into riding come this spring/early summer. In the time that I haven't been riding, though, I've finished my degree at uni (I have a General Social Sciences degree, and am thinking about going back to do something more specialized) and am working at an office near where I live for the time being (it'll be a year already this February).
The gospel is meant to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable--Garrison Keillor
Magic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Infamousluna » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm

It is really nice to hear from the EC family! Luna and I are doing well. After nearly a decade, we have started jumping again. At 18 years old, she is still springy and loves to jump. It doesn't matter where I put her, she will jump out of anything. She has been such a great confidence builder after all these years of dressage work.

I got a new project, a four year old OTTB who is the kindest, sweetest and smartest horse I have ever worked with. He is currently ground driving and growing leaps and bounds everyday. I couldn't be prouder of his heart, mind and work ethic.

I also lost almost 130 pounds (Luna seems grateful!) and am feeling really good. I would like to lose another 30 pounds, but I find that I have been a little stagnant lately. I started Teacher's College and am loving every minute of it, and am going through the certification process for my EC coaching levels.

The last few years have been very trying, physically, mentally and emotionally. I dealt with devestating losses and setbacks and learned a great deal. I am happy for every heartbreak, as it has kept me grounded. Better still, I may not be where I want to be in life, but I can finally see myself getting there. I am feeling very blessed.

I hope that everyone else will feel blessed and loved and cherished this year, and find themselves travelling on the right path, too!
**The trouble with being on your high horse is having farther down to fall**
Infamousluna

Postby EAB » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi all!!!
I wasn't too active on this board before, I'm more of a lurker, and I have nothing exciting to report, in fact, I am on a now one year hiatus from riding, as my husband is in dental school and there is no spare money to go around for horses :-(
I was working for an FEI dressage rider for a time and riding some of her horses, but we had to move to another city so I don't have that opportunity available to me any longer. I now live in Indianapolis (originally from Toronto) and to be honest, the dressage world sucks around here...and there is no one I would like to work under that is within an hour's drive.
However, I live vicariously through other owners and riders by writing for several horse publications. That's why I'm remaining active here. There is a good chance I will need some of you as sources in the future for articles....I hope you guys will be game :-)
The only horsey highlight for me to report is that I'll be attending the WEG in KY as a reporter this year. I am super excited :-)
EAB
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Flyin' High » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi Everyone!! I still cant believe this board is back up and running again!! :lol:

2009 has been a bit of a crazy year for me! Nike has been leased out again, just cant afford to pay board on him right now. He's beeing doing well, and is loved by a 14 y/o girl who just entered grade 9 this year. I'm having some issues communicating with the new leasor (oh the fun of dealing with a teenage girl who THINKS she knows everything) but other than that things are looking up! My boyfriend (it's been almost 3 years for us now!!) bought a house last april, and i moved in about a month later. It's been great, but tough.. definitely saw a difference in my money funds when i left mom and dads!!

Hope everyone is well!

FH
You can tell a gelding and ask a stallion, but you must discuss everything with a mare!
Flyin' High

Postby saddlesore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:19 pm

130 pounds is an amazing accomplishment infamousluna. Congratulations & kudos to you. That is like losing a whole person...wow! You must be so proud of yourself.
I mostly lurked here & didn't join this BB till much later, right before it closed. I'm happy that it's back.
saddlesore
Newbies
Newbies

Postby IronHorse » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Great to see most people are doing well on here!

2009 was a rough year for Pride and I also. At the end of 2008 he came up lame and we determined that he had a suspensory tear in his front right leg. He was on stall rest for almost 4 months and underwent a series of shockwave treatments. We then started back to work very slowly and have been back in full work as of September.

Unfortunately at the end of November, when I dismounted I landed funny and my knee popped and I tore my MCL. So I had a month off to recover and have just started back to work with him very lightly as my knee still can't take too much.

Here is a video of Pride's first time out since the injury in the spring of 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gniy-DiC1rk

and here is a video of part of my last lesson before I hurt my knee (excuse the crappy transitions!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHWqhjYs9dQ

We are hoping to hit the show rings this summer so am keeping my fingers crossed!
IronHorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kaleena » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Wow! Never thought I'd see the day this board came back to life again LOL

Hi Everybody :D

Cirrus and I have been doing really well over the last year or so. She is 7 and half now which I still can't believe. I bet some of you remember when I first got her, she was 14 months old! We had a weird episode of her legs all puffing up in the summer...vet figures she may have ate something? blood work was fine, but it took about a week to get the swelling to go away with her on a few different meds, but she was never sore and it never happened again so who knows.

I decided to take her out to her first show in May 09. Having never really been off the property I wan't expecting too much, just wanted to get her out and about, so we entered the two W/T classes at Bluestar. Well she was absolutely awesome and trucked around like a pro and we came home with 2 firsts. We went back for the Aug show and did the W/T classes again as well as one training class and came home with 2 firsts and a third.

Not sure what the plan is for this year. I'm not much of a shower I just wanted to see how she'd be and she was great so I don't even feel the need to do it again.

Glory is still around too. She'll be 22 this year. This might be her last winter as she doesn't seem to be handling it as well as previous years but we'll see what next year brings.

Good to hear from everybody!
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:55 pm

No horse updates from me. The last two years have been tough ones for the BT family....the MIL broke her hip last Easter, and it took her forever to recover from it. We lost our goofball dog, the big puppy, Kane to prostate cancer in October last year. It was very quick, and extremely heartbreaking for us. Plus, we've been hit majorly hard by the whole recession thing. Hubby was working as a project manager for a small construction company, and when the recession hit, the work stopped. And as I was working for a small construction company as well...the work stopped too.

It's been tough climbing out of all that, as it seems we just keep hitting stumbling block after stumbling block, but we're surviving.

We did get another dog, Rexx a GSD/retriever mix. He was a rescue. He's 2 now and we've had him a little over a year. We're trying to make progress with him, slowly it's coming. And we have another baby BT....that makes 3. All girls. The little one is just over 4 months old.
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby pmc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:08 am

Wow! Looks like everyone has been really busy!

Big changes here at the pmc house, too. My mom fell and broke her hip a few days before Christmas '08, after having fallen and fracturing her kneecap in Autumn. Both times, she came here to recuperate. After her hip fracture, though, it became pretty self-evident that living on her own was no longer a safe or viable option for her, so she officially moved in with us last Spring. It has been an interesting transition for all of us, but it now seems 'normal.'

Snickers is now rising 12. And "wee" pmc will be 18 in a few weeks! :shock: When the heck did THAT happen?! :mrgreen: L'il Snickers the cat is now 11, and is wonderful. We also welcomed a new cat, Charlie, to our little menagerie. She was a rescue who came to us from Sudbury, and is a total love-bucket.

I recently underwent two cataract surgeries, since my eyesight had deteriorated to the point where driving at night was out of the question. My mom also had cataract surgery at the same time. The surgeon had never done a mother-daughter duo before! Of all the things on my list of life's to-do's with my mom, dueling cataract surgeries was never even on my radar screen. :wink:

Life is good.
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to General