How is everyone handling the cold?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

How is everyone handling the cold?

Postby spotz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 am

How is everyone dealing with winter so far? Is the cold stopping you from riding?
For those of us who work in the barn all day how are you coping with the cold? Is it making your barn work harder to do?
I have to admit I am counting the days till spring arrives.
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: How is everyone handling the cold?

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:57 am

I'll admit I'm a wimp. I only rode 2x this past week because it was so cold. I rode one evening when it was -8, and that was cold enough for me, my lungs were really sore afterwards. When it is this cold, if I ride, I just do minimal things to keep us both moving.

I am counting the days until spring as well!!
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:47 am

Heck, I'm not even riding, and I am counting down the days til spring.
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Kaleena » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm doing okay. I rode tonight and was comfortable after we got going. It was apparently -6 not sure if it was that cold in the arena but probably pretty close. I think -10 is my limit and even if I do get on when it is that cold I don't do very much similar to SP.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby pmc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:35 am

We've been wimping out here, too. :mrgreen:
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 am

It's funny because if I have a lesson, I am totally pumped to ride. But if I'm just riding on my own, I use the "it's tooooo coollllllddd" excuse to keep me out of the saddle.

There are a couple clinics this month that I could go to and audit but the thought of sitting in the freezing cold all day just does not appeal to me AT ALL. If I was riding, then no problem, but to just sit there...ummm, no thanks!

I think I'm getting old :(
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 am

I haven't ridden since New Years eve. I was planning on a ride last night but we got a bit of a snow storm so I didn't bother. Hopefully tonight.

I found a great thing for clinics and long days in the cold - it's like the Hotshots for your hands but is an insole that just slips into your boot. Keeps nice and toasty all day long.
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kaleena » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:01 am

I hadn't ridden since before New Years Eve either, but I made myself go out last night. I have a lesson coming up this weekend and as much as I'd like to not have to ride this week I know our lesson will be SOOO much better if I can get a few rides in before hand.

Jax - I have those insole things too, they're great!
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby BlazingColours » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Been handling it like a CHAMP! :D Rode 5 horses yesterday and 3 the day before. Going to be riding a few this afternoon as well. Not sure if I am getting tougher or if having an indoor at home (rather than driving to a boarding barn) makes it so much easier to ride more. I think having them at home helps a lot. The new complex is quite warm so make it very comfortable inbetween rides.

I also have a tractor with a cab on it now; so that is a HUGE help. Going to put a few round bales out now and will not get cold :):)
BlazingColours
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *rickie* » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm

My work schedule has changed, and because of that, I'm working till really late. So that means no time to ride! I have another 1.5weeks of this, then I return to the usualy 7am-4pm shift and will be back to full swing riding each night!

Todays my day off, and the plan is to meet a friend & her daughter at the farm at 4pm, and we're going to work 4 outta the 5 horses in the barn....she's going to teach me how to long line! :D I'm excited!
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Flyin' High » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:24 pm

I havent been riding since Nike is on lease right now, but i work on the weekends at a barn and i was freezing this past weekend!! On Sunday i wore 2-3 layers of socks, flannel pajama pants under my fleece lined snow pants, and about 4 layers of shirts/sweaters under my skidoo jacket!!

I'm definitely counting the days until i can start delayering when going to the barn!!
You can tell a gelding and ask a stallion, but you must discuss everything with a mare!
Flyin' High

Postby cnigh » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:53 pm

I lost weight - again - so this winter seems really really cold to me. Not much riding although I have 3 to ride and my own colt to play with. I work 6 days a week and its the lack of day light bevfore & after work rather than the cold that is stopping me from riding as much as I would like to.

But Spring is coming and days are getting longer so I see much trail riding in the near future. :D
Bakkir - 2008 Pure Straight Egyptian Arabian colt

cnigh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Roger That! » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:18 pm

I hate winter!! Short days, no indoor arena...I can only ride on weekends when the weathers ok. On the colder days I go bareback. Its a little warmer, though not that warm! We just had a sleigh made but its been too icy to drive here. I can't wait to use it though!
In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster. - Unknown
Roger That!
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Champ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 pm

I've been riding as much as I can all bundled up and Champs woolies on. We have no indoor so its mostly on weekends or when someone can watch Kadence during the week day if I'm off work. Mind you, I dont go out with its blowing like an SOB or freezing but I would say - 15 is my limit. Yea, you all may think Im crazy.

We're in a Dressage Clinic on February 6th so I have to go ride no matter what or we will have out asses handed to us. Not to mention along with Champ getting some good work I've been working out and started weight watchers. Almost 5 pounds in 9 days and all my ab muscles and arm muscles are slowly coming back :D
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Actually I find fall and winter pretty cool so far..not too cold..
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to General