Plan for 2010?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Plan for 2010?

Postby chenders01 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:51 am

So, now that we've all had had a chance to update on where we've been and what we've been doing since the board went down, let's talk about where we're going, and what our plans are for this year.

Well, my main priority is to get Raymond healthy. That is really all I am focusing on right now. If the allergy meds that he will be starting next month work, and I have a cough-free horse again, I will just be happy to ride. It's going to take him awhile to get fit again, so that will be my focus for the rest of the winter at least.

I don't think I will show the Conestoga Cadora shows again this year. Frankly, they are just too expensive for me...$20 a class plus the additional fees, plus trailering...it's just too much. So IF I get the urge to show, I will probably go to a local club show and just do the hunter hacks or something. My BO goes to the Rockwood shows and classes there are only $8 and the competition is not very stiff, so I may try that...it would be an inexpensive day out, at least.

I also would like to do more trail riding this coming year. I've mentioned to my BO about trailering a group of us to places where we can ride on really nice trails. She thought that was a great idea, so hopefully that will happen (her trailer accommodates four horses).

Okay, next?
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Plan for 2010?

Postby Dutchie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:44 am

Well, since I sold percy in early "09 I don't have a horse. However I am taking lessons on a nice been there done it all. who is just like percy.. just.. a heck of a lot safer. LOL. My goals are to ride atleast once a month (Since I moved out in the fall of 09, I live 45 mins away from home and don't have a car, so riding involves taking a bus home for the weekend, and thats hard to arrange around two jobs.)

My riding goals are just to improve my convidence, especailly over fences. I've ridden this mare twice now and shes alredy got be back at 2'3 oxers, which is huge for me becuase.. last time I jumped that was before I even had percy. like 5 years ago. LOL

My non horsey goals are to finish my Animal Welfare Certificate I am currently taking online with Thompson Rivers University and the BCSPCA. I've done about 1/4 of it, 100% on eveything so far, so lets keep it that way.

My biggest non horsey goal is to get accepted for the fall semester at Thompson Rivers University, Im in the process of applying right now for their Animal Health Technology program, and its pretty stiff to get in. only 24 seats, so wish me luck! I am also then moving to BC in August if I get accepted :) big change from livin in Ontario!

And, if I get in, if they have a riding team.. not sure if they do.. I want to be on it.. and if not, i want to still ride atleast once a month!
Thats it for me :)

Chenders..Wish you and your guy the best of luck getting his coughing under control, I can only imagine how hard it must be to have to deal with that, and not be able to do much riding. I know Im going out of my skin only riding once a month, and to watch your four legged friend suffer though it can only be heartbreaking. Best wishes you get that under control so you can follow through with your 2010 as planned! :)
----------------------------------------------------
Ride a draft...it makes your butt look smaller
----------------------------------------------------
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Postby cnigh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:44 pm

Chenders - I really hope Raymond is ok. IMHO trail riding heals all! At least it does for me - lol! If you can trailer to the Dundas Valley. It is amazing to hack through.

Hmmm goals for the new year. Well I don't think Bakkir will be ready to back. But there is tons of ground work to do before that. He will most likely be started lightly as a 3 yr old like Beauty was. But Arabs are slow to mature so I may have to wait longer. Luckily there are 3 other horses at the barn who need riding, so I will still be hitting the trail as soon as I can see where I am going at night.
Bakkir - 2008 Pure Straight Egyptian Arabian colt

cnigh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby naughty by nature » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Well for 2010 my plans have kinda changed from what they would have been earlier in 09. I did want to do alot of showing this summer in the barrl and pole ciruit here however since I'm now engaged showings going to be put on the back burner. My horse isn't fast enough to win so i'm only showing for fun not to make money. We want to buy a farm so thats where my show money is going to be going.
My riding goals for this summer (since I don't really ride in the winter) are to get my horse out on the trails and ride at the beach more I took him abit this year and he was great but I ride alone alot and don't get the chance to go alot.

I want to put flying lead changes on him as well so he can't get the correct lead for the first to second barrel and I would also like to cut my run times down by about half lol which means i need to canter the whole pattern this time. I also want to make a set of poles and work on his pole bending as he seems to be better at it then barrels.

No horsey I would like to start saving so money for a down payment on a farm and then start saving/planning our wedding in a couple years. I'm selling insurance now and am taking courses to get my insurance professions cert as well so I want to take a couple more classes in that as well
naughty by nature

Postby Kaleena » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:33 am

Not really sure what my goals are going to be this year. While I did enjoy showing a little bit in 2009 it's not really my thing. I mean I like going to find out how we're doing comparied to others and getting some outside feedback but it costs so much even with no trailering fees (we hack down). We'll see what summer brings.

I do want to continue to progress with Cirrus. We are kind of at a plateau right now whrere we are both really comfortable with the work. I need to kick it up a notch and get after her a bit more if we are going to move forward in her training.

I think I might be in the market for a new saddle, one that fits me better. I bought the one I have when I first started Cirrus and went with one that fit her (and could be adjusted to fit her) best. Now that I'm really sitting on her a lot I'm finding the saddle really isn't helping me out much. Basically it's a bit too big for me.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 am

What saddle are you looking for, Kaleena? I saw a Kieffer Lusitano for sale on EMG. 17" seat, wide width. Sounds like a nice saddle, and the Kieffer trees can be adjusted to fit.
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Flyin' High » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 am

Well 2010 will certainitly be bringing some changes for me. Nike has been leased for the last 2 years, and i believe that at the end of this lease he will be for sale, if not sold to his Current Leasser. It has been a very hard decision for me. As you know, i've owned nike since he was a yearling, and am the one who put all of the training into him. Unfortunately though, i dont ever seem to have the money for a horse right now, and while I could continue leasing him out, i dont think it's fair to him to have a new home and new rider every year... i just feel bad uprooting him once a year. So we will see what happens, but unless i come into a bunch of money, and QUICK, i think he will be for sale. :(

I'm hoping i can find someone who will proide a forever home for him - this is going to be my main focus right now, is just finding someone who will love him as much as i do. I'm still hopeful that i will win the lottery and be able to keep him though! I think this will be the toughest thing in the world for me to do, selling Nike, but something has to be done, and i really dont know if i can lease him out for another year. It doesnt help that i've has so much trouble with my current leasser that it has put a really bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

Wish me luck on finding him a good home! Or if anyone knows a young rider who may be interested, let me know.
You can tell a gelding and ask a stallion, but you must discuss everything with a mare!
Flyin' High

Postby Kaleena » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 am

chenders - Thanks, I saw that one too. I've been checking EMG, ebay and here for the last few weeks just to see what was out there. Truth be told I'm not exactly sure what kind I'm looking for. I have a 17.5 Passier Antares right now. I'll need 17 or a 16.5 depending on the saddle and depth of the seat. I think I might stop and Bakers this week and bring a few home to try. I need to ride in a few different ones to find out what fits me best...then try and find one that will also fit Cirrus. Ugh..I can see this being a long drawn out process already!

FH - Sorry to hear about your upcoming decision about Nike. Definitely a hard one to make, but if you feel it's best for him and you to put him up for sale, to find him that forever home then no one can fault you for that!
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby fusspot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Sorry to hear you have to sell NIke Flying High. It's never an easy decision but it sounds like you are doing what is right for the horse and that is always a gold star in my books.
Kaleena, Cirrus is wide isn't she? You might want to try a Vega by Amerigo (Baker's has them). I went through the whole saddle fitting nightmare for my wide gelding in the fall of 2008 and the Vega fit us both really well. I have never regretted buying that saddle.

My plans for 2010 include continuing to progress in dressage with Dually, lots of trail riding with my buddies and getting a good start on my filly. I would like to back her lightly by the fall and then let her be until she is 4.
fusspot

Postby RioG » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:36 pm

No major plans for me... I will be obtaining my Equine Soundness Certification, which is cool. Currently in sunny SC completing my mentoring days.

Otherwise... lots of trail riding. I have always wanted to try endurance... not that Rio is suddenly going to morph in to an endurance horse, but long trail rides will be very good for her, and I can get a sense of whether or not endurance truly is something I would enjoy. If the gods are really smiling on us we will make it to some LDA shows, but not sure if I really have the burning to desire to get us there or not.

And hopefully lots of trimming. It is almost more fun being under the horse than on the horse these days.
www.heelfirsthoofcare.com
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kaleena » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks Fussy! I'll check them out too when I stop in... might have to do that today on my way home from work :)
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 am

My 2010 goals include start Fez to saddle this spring/summer. Before that i want him ground driving really well, and I'm considering getting a little cart for him too! Hubby has shown a bit of interest in learning to drive him, so I don't want to spoil the thought that I may turn him into a casual horsey man :lol: :lol:

With my big boy in training, I want him going really well, and I'm secretly, actually I don't think it's any secret -- I dont' want him to sell, cause I'm faving FAR too much fun bringing him along and up the levels. I'm hoping to get out to a few more shows this years with a friend & just generally bringing him up the training levels. We're near-ready for 2nd level showing, so I'd like to get to 3rd before the end of the summer.........that is if he's still around!

The big mare in training, has just come leaps and bounds this weekend! From 8weeks ago not being able to pick up her hind feet to having a young & gutless rider sitting on her doing w/t on the luge! I'm just thrilled that she's coming along well! Having extra hands & gutless teens to help REALLY makes all the difference when backing a coming 11y/o mare who avoids everything like the plague! So I want to continue her training, and see where she ends up! The young teen that's helping wants to show her at palgrave this summer....I have no issues with that, so we'll see what happens! :D

Lastly the little 2.5y/o filly Chicca I'd like to teach to ground drive and back her lightly this summer as well. No rush for her, as she still looks really young. So if she doesn't "grow into herself" we'll leave her till she's 4 to start, but then I will for sure have her ground driving 1st! She's so cute! The young gutless teen working with the big mare -- her younger sister is just in LOVE with Chicca, so I have this funny feeling that I'll have a young teen wanting to ride her too this summer! I can't complain, I've been riding so-lo for 2years now, it's nice to have some company & I'm sure the ponies like having someone else in the ring with them more often than just at shows :D

Flying, while it's a very hard decision -- I think you may be making the right one. While I wasn't in your shoes, I had to make the decision to sell my "forever horse" a few years back because of not being able to provide the right environment for him to excell in.

RioG, that's soo cool! I hope to see you at a few shows --- there's a really nice smaller dressage circuit just a bit past London (on the way to Sarnia) and their entry fees are FAR less than LDA. I dont' think it's sanctioned, but it's a great little place for the casual riders/showers to get out! PM me if you need more details -- same to you Kaleena.
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby fusspot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Rickie...don't you mean GUTSY, not GUTLESS?
Gutsy = someone who has no qualms about climbing on huge young horses without fully formed brains.
Gutless = someone who has a meltdown when their dead broke pony so much as lifts an eyebrow.
:lol:

And YAY for having those young riders around!!!
fusspot

Postby Flyin' High » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for all the support guys!! It's definitely a hard decision, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that my situation will change in time, but i need to think of Nike first. Hopefully i'll find a forever home for him, since that ios what i was planning to be!
You can tell a gelding and ask a stallion, but you must discuss everything with a mare!
Flyin' High

Postby *rickie* » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:11 pm

fusspot wrote:Rickie...don't you mean GUTSY, not GUTLESS?
Gutsy = someone who has no qualms about climbing on huge young horses without fully formed brains.
Gutless = someone who has a meltdown when their dead broke pony so much as lifts an eyebrow.
:lol:

And YAY for having those young riders around!!!

Why yes, you are correct -- sorry, musta been typing too fast and re-reading to fast to catch that one, but you are correct. And Yes, it's a big YAY for having them around....I've decided this weekend I'll get on that mare FOR SURE....providing she doesn't try anything funny before that....gotta think of my back issues & health problems 1st :D
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 am

Lacey is doing well, getting her strength up so I'm going to continue that with her. This spring she will head out to her new retirement life (trail riding and pleasure riding and being a spoiled pet).

Right now I'm just planning on taking jumping lessons with Salsa and getting us doing well there, perhaps well enough to go to a spring show.

I'm also shopping right now, looking for a TB with a few after track miles that's ready to be adored and loved. It would be nice to take the new horse to a show this summer or by the end of the summer.

There may be other changes afoot in my life...I'm considering a move back to Saskatoon if I can find a job there. On the upside, there are lots of good coaches and shows to go to around that city. But it would mean leaving my great boarding barn and local horsey friends.
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to General