Saddle Hunt

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Saddle Hunt

Postby Kaleena » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:53 pm

I posted in one of the other threads that I was thinking of starting a new saddle hunt so I figured I'd make us a new thread to read :wink:

I stopped in at Bakers on my way home from work on Tuesday and ended up coming home with a brand new Stubben and a brand new Prestige. The Stubben was the only saddle he had in stock (new or used) in a 17inch. The Prestige was an 18inch but he gave it to me just to try on Cirrus to see how the tree fit her as he was thinking about ordering in a 17inch of the same model.

So the Stubben was touch too wide for her (which I found odd but it definitely was) I rode in it a bit just to see and I wasn't in love with it anyway. The Prestige fit her really well, nice and balanced not pinching, it sat on her exactly like my Passier does. The only problem is I don't really know much about the brand. Anyone know anything about them?

I have a Kieffer I'm going to try this weekend, but I don't think I'm going to like it as in my past experiences they tend to have quite high pommels.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Saddle Hunt

Postby *rickie* » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:03 am

Kaleena -- could the Stubben work if you added a 1/2 pad under it??

I'm jsut thinking that if you continue to work Cirus she may muscle up even more?? And having a slightly bigger saddle is always better than one that just fits now, or is slightly too small, My theory that you can always pad up but never down stands true here :D

I'm not of any more help with the Pestige, as I don't have any personal experience with them. I believe they are a good brand, but with the little knowledge I have of them, I wouldn't class them up with Passier, Kieffer & Stubben.
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby LookOfEagles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm

I don't have any personal experience with the Prestige, but a friend of mine had a jumper saddle from their line and it was absolutely gorgeous. The Prestige saddles are definitely in the same league with (if not above) other European saddles. I believe they are made in Italy and only from the best materials.
LookOfEagles
Newbies
Newbies

Postby fusspot » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Oh Kaleena, the Prestige saddles are gorgeous!! Top of the line quality, less bulky and I believe they can be adjusted. If the Vega hadn't fit, I was going to try a Prestige next.
fusspot

Postby Kaleena » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks Ladies!

Rickie - Thanks for your thoughts but I'm not really interested in padding up. If anything if I loved the Stubben I would get my saddle fitter to take a look to see if he could add more wool to the front to make it fit. That being said I would prefer to go with a saddle that can be adjusted to fit along the way, like my passier. I've had it for 4 years now and it's been adjusted and refit every 6months or so as she's grown. If the Stubben's tree could be adjusted then I might have considered it but I really didn't love the saddle anyway.

LookofEagles/Fussy - The Prestige I took home with me was super nice, I was really really careful with it! It felt really nice sitting in it in the store even though the seat was too big for me. It was the same tree size as my passier but it didn't feel as wide which I think is what I'm looking for. I asked about the Vega's but Carmen said the one he would have liked me to try was out at the moment. He is going to order the 17inch Prestige in Cirrus' tree size for me to really try and he'll give me the Vega to try when it comes back in too.

I tried the Kieffer last night and like I thought I didn't really like it. I'm not in any hurry since I have a saddle that fits my horse so I'll wait for the Prestige and the Vega to come in at Bakers and try those out. I'll also keep looking for other brands/models to test out in the mean time.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby fusspot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 am

Hey Kaleena!! How is the saddle hunt going? Having any luck?
fusspot

Postby Kaleena » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Yes and no... the Prestige hasn't come in to Bakers yet. I've tried a few different Passiers from Petra's place (she used to own/run Tack Town and has opened her own store). I have a Barnsby right now that I like a lot, I just need to find out from my saddle fitter if it can be adjusted to fit her or not. If it can I'll try it a few more times to see if I really like it, if not back it goes. I'd still like to try the Prestige, but Carmen didn't have any idea on when it would come in - could be weeks, could be months.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Kaleena...you mentioned Barnsby? SP is sure to jump in...LOL. You know how she loves her Barnsby. I'm pretty sure her saddle guy (and yours :wink: ) has adjusted SPs saddle a couple times...so perhaps he can work with the Barnsby. But like you said, you're in no really hurry. It won't hurt to wait to try the other saddle.
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Kaleena » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 pm

We'll see, Joe is coming out on Friday to take a look. The Barnsby tree is not adjusable so all he can do is adjust the wool flocking.

I like the passiers because the tree itself is adjustable... Joe has adjusted it many times for me in the last four years! I'm just not liking the hard seat of the passiers right now :P
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 am

So the Barnsby I tried was a no go :( Just the specific model wasn't right for her so I'm on the lookout for different Barnsby's to try.

I found a Prestige on ebay that should be the right size for both of us, looks pretty much brand new and is less than half the price of a brand new one from Carmen... trouble is I haven't ridden in a Prestige before!

I found a similar deal on a Barnsby from a tack store out West that is clearing out their old stock - brand new Barnsby Kanter Dressage on 50% off... but again I haven't ridden in the Kanter before.

So now the dilemma is do I take the chance and buy one hoping I like it and save a lot of money? Resale on 17" dressage saddles isn't very good around here but I would hope I could recoup most of the money spent if I absolutely hated it.

Gah, decisions decisions.... :)
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby LookOfEagles » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Wish I could help you make a choice Kaleena ... Barnsby and Prestige are both very good saddles!

Do you have a saddlefitter you're working with? -- they may know about the designs [trees, panels, etc] of the models you're looking at, and have a better idea of which one might best work for you & your horse?

I realize the Prestige hasn't arrived yet, but would there be a Kanter around somewhere you could sit in -- just to get an idea?
LookOfEagles
Newbies
Newbies

Postby fusspot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Argh, that is a dilemma isn't it Kaleena?

You really need to sit in those saddles before you go out and buy one. It would be a total PIA to have to resell it if it didn't fit or you hated it. Hasn't Carmen got the Prestige in yet? You may have to nicely nag him a bit.

Not sure where you are located, but if you want to sit in the Vega, you are more than welcome to sit in mine.
fusspot

Postby Kaleena » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Nope, the 17" prestige hasn't come in yet. He ordered it but apparently it has to be made...and then shipped over so who knows how long that will take.

The Passiers that I got to try in 17" sizewise felt good, except I don't want another hard seated Passier lol. The Barnsby that I did try was a 17" and it felt really good, but didn't fit Cirrus very well.

There are no stores around here that actually stock any dressage saddles in size 17, it's even hard to find a 17.5" for the most part. My orgininal plan was to sit in as many different models in a 17" that I could... but that hasn't worked out so well. For the most part I would need to special order in a 17" in any brand

I do have a saddle fitter LookofEagles who knows my horse very well, both the Barnsby and the Prestige I mentioned above will fit my horse (or could be made to)...it's me that I would be taking a chance on :)

Thanks for the offer Fussy, I'm in the Newmarket area, is your Vega a 17?
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:22 pm

The Prestige are actually very good saddles from what I have heard.

Saddle hunt is such hard..I have a saddle, a 17.5 adjustable tree but the twist is narrow..I am actually looking if the twist can be changed but have not got an answer. Otherwise this saddle is just sleeping in my closest since my young horses all need wide..

Good luck !
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fusspot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:45 am

Shoot, I forgot you are looking for a 17, mine is an 18 I think. Darn.
I'm a ways from Newmarket anyways....about an hour and a half.
fusspot

Postby Kaleena » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:59 pm

No worries, thanks again for the offer.

So I ordered the Barnsby. The store is going to charge me up front for it (as expected) but I can return it less the shipping charges. So if I hate it I'll only be out about $100 and if I love it I'll have saved $1400-$1600. I can deal with that.

Should be here on Tuesday.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am

The Barnsby is a keeper! It arrived on Friday (much quicker than the store thought it would). I rode in it over the weekend a few times, used it in my lesson on Sunday and really liked it.

Got it checked out last night for fit and with some small adjustments it should be good to go for both of us :)

I got the saddle from Sandridge Saddlery in QC (I miss typed earlier and said the store was out west). If anyone is looking for a good deal on a Barnsby they have all of their Barnsby stock on 50% off right now, the list is available on the website.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby LookOfEagles » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

That's great that it worked out for the Barnsby Kaleena! Enjoy your new saddle!

I've ordered things from Sandridge before and they've always been really helpful.
LookOfEagles
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36 am

That is great that it worked out and you saved $$$ too!
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby fusspot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 am

Wonderful!! Congrats on your new saddle and WOOT for saving loot!
fusspot

Next

Return to General