Tell me about bit weight...

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Tell me about bit weight...

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Zippy is currently in a single jointed loose ring snaffle and I was thinking of switching her over to a french link loose ring instead. A friend let me borrow hers to try, and I think Zippy responds a little better in it- I feel like I have more control over her shoulders (she likes to drop her right shoulder and get heavy on my right rein sometimes and I feel like with the french link I can get her off of it and pick her shoulder back up with a half halt, opposed to the single joint where I find it takes alot to get her back off it once she's "sitting" on it- ie. several half halts and leg bumping).

Anyway, after trying this french link out, I noticed it is heavier than the single jointed (which is feather light in my hand). So I was wondering- does weight make a difference to the horse, and if so, what effect does it have? I'm thinking of going and getting her a french link, so I was wondering if I should look for a specific weight (light like her old one, or not)?
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Tell me about bit weight...

Postby LookOfEagles » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm no expert, but I find my horse goes best in the double-jointed snaffle as well, and I've found the solid [heavier] bits seem to stay a bit steadier in the mouth as well ... which a lot of horses seem to prefer. He too is one of those boys who throws his shoulders around!

It sounds like the single jointed snaffle you had might have been hollow? ... hence feeling lighter in weight ... but you can also get these in solid metal as well. So for snaffles, there are a lot of variations available in terms of hollow/solid, thick/thin, and jointed, etc., and then the bit rings as well!!

I know it's said that a thicker bit is kinder -- I started out with a thick, hollow mouth single jointed snaffle, but what suited my horse was something very different altogether. From what I've learned, I would say the bit that fits the horse & the skill of the rider's hands are what make any bit "kind".

Not sure this really helped, but your horse might just prefer the style & weight of that french link -- so I would look for something similar.
LookOfEagles
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kaleena » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am

I personally don't like the super light bits very much. I'm sure they have their purpose but I think there needs to be a little bit of weight for the horse to really make a connection with your hands but that's just my experience with the horses I've worked with.

Cirrus goes best in a loose ring ring oval link that is probably a medium wieght and thickness.

How did the thickness of the french link you tried compare to the loose ring she normally goes in?
Last edited by Kaleena on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:32 pm

What's the difference between a french link and oval link?

The french-link was a bit thinner, but not much. Though, I think she needs a slightly thinner bit, as she has a small mouth. Her current loose ring is quite thick, and it's ALRIGHT, but I've always wondered if it would sit better if it were slightly thinner.

The one thing I noticed when riding in the french link, is that it was really easy to pull the bit to one side of her mouth. Why would this be? Is the bit too big for her? I checked it before riding, and it seemed to be just right, not too far out her mouth, but big enough that the rings are not right against her skin. I've heard a loose ring should be a tad big so the rings don't pinch. This bit I tried was a 5.5'', and I measured it against her current one, and they look about the same, but before actually buying one, I will find a tape measure and do it properly. Or could it be that I didn't have the cheekpieces done up tight enough to hold the bit up higher in her mouth? Where I had it sitting, she had 2 small wrinkles. It seemed like it could've potentially been sitting a bit too low (haha, no pun intended :P), but when I upped the cheekpiece a hole, it looked like it was pulling her lip skin back, exposing pink which I thought looked awkward, so I lowered it again.
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 am

The french link and the oval link are both double jointed bits just the link is a different shape. I actually made a mistake Cirrus isn't in an oval link it's more of an oval-ball link lol, I just can't find what it's technically called!

Her's is sort of like this but the actual link piece is a bit bigger..

A true oval link is still a flat link like the french link

It sounds like the one you tried might be a bit big for her. What I've heard, which you may want to double check with some artful googling :P is that because the action of a double jointed bit when you take contact is different (no nut cracker effect) you can usually fit them a fraction smaller than you would a single jointed bit. She might do better in a 5 1/4" as it really shouldn't slide around in her mouth. The rings may look a little closer to her mouth than you are used to but they shouldn't pinch her when you are riding and have conntact.

Cirrus is in a 6 1/4" but if I were to go to just a single joint loose ring I would probably go with a 6.5"
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks Kaleena. I'll do some googling into that :P.
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Actually if she has a small mouth 5.5" is kind of big. Most of my guys go in a 5". I use a regular french link egg butt or loose ring. I also use the peanut type like Kaleena on a couple of horses. You want to see a wringle or two depending on the horse. If your bit is sliding around like that it is likely too big.

Some folks think that a big thick/fat bit is gentle but in reality it is often too big for a horse's mouth and they can't close their mouth. I find with a few small mouthed horses I have I go with a fairly thin french link. Much happier once I made the switch and were more willing to go into the bridle searching for the contact.

I prefer bits with a bit of weight too.
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby LookOfEagles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 pm

What Kaleena & Patricia experienced - was my experience as well. I found the hollow bits tended to kind of bounce in the mouth and were usually WAY too thick. My gelding has a wide mouth, but not much clearance inside [he has a low palette & quite a fleshy tongue], so the big fat bits were definitely out.

We first went to a german silver, solid, single jointed snaffle, and finally settled on a fairly thin, KK french link ... the one with the round peanut in the middle. He seems to prefer this one.

Sounds like you've found the right type of bit and maybe just need to track down the correct width. Good luck with the shopping!
LookOfEagles
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:45 pm

Now that you mention it a couple of my bits with the peanut/lozenge is a KK knock off. I think it is made of aurigan metal. It is said it makes them salivate more.
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sunny Side Up » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:04 pm

GU, just so you know, my chunky draft-cross with the warmblood-sized head takes a 5 1/2". I'm sure the bit you're trying is way too big on Zippy with her delicate, feminine head.
Sunny Side Up
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Yeah, I definitely think it's too big.

But now I don't know what size to get.... can I use take a tape measure and measure the width of her mouth? I could measure her current bit, but I feel that if it were a thinner bit (it's quite chunky), it would be too big for her too.

SSU- how is your chunky draft cross doing these days? :P
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

P.S. I found that the french link I tried is the oval link.
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:47 am

What size is it? I have some horses here in a 4 3/4" to a 5".
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:28 pm

What size is the oval link I tried? It's 5.5''. Definitely too big though. From what others have shared, I'm thinking 5''.
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:00 pm

So have you been able to find one in a 5" to try?
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 pm

No, I don't know anyone with a 5'' to try. I think I'll just go out on a limb and get the 5'' (probably go this weekend).
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby BlazingColours » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Do not know where you are located but Bahrs has Springer KK bits in different sizes that you can take home as a trail to check size and see if your horse likes it.

I too prefer a bit with some weight to it. I really/light greenhawk brands do really seem to bounce around. But then I have seen some super heavy bits; which I would stay away from too. There has to be a happy medium for me.
BlazingColours
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Bahr's is a bit far for me. I'm in Hamilton. I was thinking of going to either Greenhawk or Pleasant Ridge. Any specific brand you'd recommend?

The one that I borrowed was by Metlab, which I know is a good price. It was heavier than her current one.
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby fusspot » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:12 pm

GU, have a look for JP Bits, I have had good luck with them, good quality and middle of the road price.
I also have a few Herm Sprenger bits and they are just lovely.
I figure if it's going in my horse's mouth, now is not the time to go for a cheap bit, buy the best you can afford.

I am giggling as I read all the small sizes of bits you guys need. My Dually takes a 6 1/4" bit; he's not that big either (but I guess his mouth is)! :lol:
fusspot

Postby Patricia » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:51 pm

I wasn't impressed with the quality or the lack of variety of english bits at Pleasant Ridge. I know you can get good used or new at The Tack Connection in Beamsville. I have a couple brand new ones there for a good deal. I sell a lot of my new and nearly new stuff there. They are just down the road from the Greenhawk in Beamsville.
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to General