Eventing

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Eventing

Postby Dutchie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 am

I know there is an eventing forum, but it is rediculously inactive.. mostly becuase people are still learning this forum is back up!

I have been trying to get into eventing for..4-5 years now? That is what I originally bought percy for. Unfortunatly, we didnt work out, and we never got anywhere near eventing... ok. we jumped a log in the field once. that was a disaster. LOL

I have sold percy, moved away from home and found out my old farriers barn, is like a 10 minute bike ride (yes, my only form of wheeles currently, is a bicycle..)

they do h/j and EVENTING... this is my chance to start over, start new, on something that has an idea of what to do, so I don't absolutly kill myself going into this.

I am a competant rider, but Ive never done eventing, nor cross country and dont know a whole lot about it.

Ive been reading stuff on the OHTA site, and stuff, and it gives you a good idea. I'll be starting a pre-entry obviously. I havent jumped more than a crossrail for the most part over the last 4 years and im just getting my confidence back over fences(comming along wonderful by the way)

I know you need a few memberships OEF.. OHTA(which you can pay 15$ for at each event,if you dont want the yearly membership,which I dont, I only want to do 2-3 events as im a student on a budget) but it says something this year 2010 about an EC sports liscence. Im not sure if for pre-entry I need it, or not. Some places say yes, some dont specify. so if any of you eventers out there can let me know.. that would be great.

Im in..central? ontario.. haha. Barrie ontario, so im looking at the Glen Oro, Woodwinds ,Grandview etc..

Any personal experiences about different events you found good, not so good etc.. and any advice would be greatly apprecaited!
----------------------------------------------------
Ride a draft...it makes your butt look smaller
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Eventing

Postby naughty by nature » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 pm

I've never evented in ontario but I've evented in my provience i did for a couple years. I did alot of dressage work with my horse as thats what she really needed work on. I also did alot of 2/3 point exercises like doing walk trot and canter in 2 or 3 point for a whole ride and stuff to get your legs strengthened. for my horse i would do alot of hill work galloping up the hills and walking/troting down them to get their hind end in shape. I also lived in an area with the trans canadian trail so would do gallops from one end to the other in 2 point to get her breating up for eventing and strengthen my legs at the same time. I would get a coach if your not comfortable over fences right now x country can be scarey and invest i a crash vest they are worth the money
good luck and have fun.

I ride wester now but still love event might decide to take my horse to an event this summer if I don't chicken out I am not a big fan of jumping anymore but when i see my friend eventing it makes me want to get back into it
naughty by nature

Postby Dutchie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for the tips for strengthening !

Don't worry. I am getting an eveting coach.. particually becuase. I am horseless.. and hoping to find a been there done that schoolie to take me around this year until I get the hang of it!

My old Farrier actually has a plce near me where I live now, and they event, so that is where I am starting up(hopefully this/next week)

I can definetly say it is MY stamina that will need the work. So any other lower body strengthing excersizes anyone can toss out to me would be much apprecaited..

also what it usually costs (estimation) per event for entries etc. I know its more than the H/J stuff I used to do.. just not really sure what to expect.
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kobau » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

alot of events have websites you can check out that should give you an idea on costs..
I know the stamina and that was hell for me...... I worked alot on 2 point so that i was working on my balance and stamina for longer courses..
Have fun
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Fuego » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Welcome to the eventing world!

This forum won't see as much movement as others, in terms of the eventing world, so broadening your search for coaches, barns, events and advice to other forums such as Equiman will help you dive into the discipline even further.

Level/Cost:
Pre-Entry is a perfect introduction to the process, timing and requirements of eventing. However, few events offer Pre-Entry as a level, though all events offer Entry. Click here for the events that do offer Pre-Entry for this year, look for "PE" in the listing: http://www.equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=538&Itemid=365 The cost per entry, per show for this level will run you about $160 +/- (not including your memberships or pinny/number deposits if there is one).

Horse:
You don't necessarily need a horse that has evented before, so long as said horse is confident and a packer over fences generally, especially if it's your confidence that is lacking. Starting at Pre-Entry is a great idea, and will be nothing more than a log laying on the ground, and a simple walk/trot/canter flat test. The course times are so open, you can complete a Pre-Entry cross course at a trot and still make it within the time allowed. Many new riders choose the trot just to help their confidence the first few times out, until they get the hang of it.

Coach:
Again, for Pre-Entry, you don't necessarily need an eventing coach, but find someone who is familiar with the process, timing, rules and the 'way of the day'. You'll notice a substantial difference between how events are run and how hunter shows are run. Events are usually run more quickly and always to the time, so be prepared ahead of time, and be sure you have your required pieces of equipment (like your pinny, med arm band, crash vest).

Memberships:
The rules have changed in the past 2 years for memberships. Pre-Entry/Entry are not recognized, therefore you will not need a passport. Both the owner and the rider of the horse will NEED their OEF (regardless of the level); OHTA day memberships may be purchased at the event, or on the event entry form; and in terms of an EC membership requirement, you WILL NEED an EC Bronze level membership. See below:
According to the EC Rules for Eventing, article D301-2.8, Pre-Entry riders must hold at least a Bronze sport licence in order to compete at a EC sanctioned Horse Trials.

The information in the Ontario section of the Omnibus that states the Pre-Entry level does not require a sport licence is incorrect. Pre-Entry divisions are not rated for EC awards.
We apologize for this error and any inconvenience caused.

For the rest of the season, Organizers will be requiring all Pre-Entry riders to show proof that they hold at least a Bronze sport licence. A Bronze sport licence is $20 and you must purchase it though Equine Canada.

A Temporary EC bronze sport licence can be purchased at an event for $30 however it is only good for that one occasion.

So, in summary, you will need:
- EC Bronze level sport license
- OHTA membership, or day membership
- OEF membership for both owner and rider

Required Equipment:
You will need a number holder (pinny). This can be purchased at most tack shops. You will also need a medical arm band and an eventing crash vest is required for the cross phase.

Fitness/Stamina:
For Pre-Entry and Entry, you won't really need to do anything more than what you are used to now. Assuming you are riding at least 4-5 days a week during show season, or whenever you are hoping to show, that will be sufficient for this level. If you find when you are riding now that your legs are sore or fatigued, spend more time in your 2-point position and also spend more time riding on the flat. You will NOT need to be in your 2-point position for Pre-Entry. Again, you can trot the course, or simply to a sit-canter. People come off the course out of breath, because they aren’t breathing while riding, not because riding at this level is exhausting.

Sit back and enjoy!! It's a ton of fun and very addictive. :tu: You'll notice a huge difference between the atmosphere of an event and that of a hunter show. :lol:
:lol:
Fuego
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Dutchie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks for the great tips Fuego.

I found a few events that do offer PE and their prices.

Caledon Horse Trials June 19/20 105$
Cedar Run Horse Trials June 13 115$
Equus July 25 110$

has anyone ever been to these locations? How was your experience?

I want to do Caledon OR cedar run.. since they're both so close together I wont be doing both.. and then of course Equus. Fingers Crossed.

I dont have my own horse,so im only doing lessons once a week,but I do work out, and will be and have been doing extra lower body strengthening to make up for the lack of riding.

Hopefully when it gets warmer I will be able to get in an extra ride here or there.

The place I am riding out of is experienced in eventing, so that is a bonus for me :) and they have some horses that would be suitable. and a small cross country course on their property.

i am incredibly excited! I will be sure to keep you updated as things go along, pictures of course!

I have also become a member of EMG.. I used to lurk but decided I might as well join, however I dont find it as friendly as some forums so I keep my posting to the minimum and just try and stay updated on all the topics they have.
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Postby SukiAki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:34 am

Hi there, if you have to chose between Caledon or Cedar Run, pick Caledon, the PE is very inviting and less challenging. I stronly advise you hook up with a coach and do some cross country schooling before you compete in your 1st event. Good luck, its fun and eventers are the best!
SukiAki
Newbies
Newbies

Return to General