What interests you?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

What interests you?

Postby Dutchie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 am

I've started up a little side business to make a little extra money to cover lessons/showing this summer.

I want to know what people are intersted in. Im making polos. saddle pads, quarter sheets ,skinies, saddle covers etc.

Are people more intersted in solids? What about funky patterns, or bright colors?
Bright colored quarter sheets(orange) for trail riding during hunting season?
I've posted this on some other boards but wanted feedback from everywhere possible.

Lot of people say they like plaid.

What about types of materials? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

here is a link to my website (if im not supposed to post it, im very sorry,just remove it)
http;//ridenshine.webs.com
----------------------------------------------------
Ride a draft...it makes your butt look smaller
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Re: What interests you?

Postby Hope03 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:18 pm

First off, I think that's an amazing idea, good for you!
Plaid is of course great, looks good on pretty much all horses.
For polo's, I would go with funky colours and designs, only because most people can pick up the solid colours at tack stores pretty easily, so I think if you are making different things, people might come looking for it, does that makes sense?
And are you able to do embroidery for putting names on coolers and saddles pads, might be another selling point?
The site looks good so far, just wanted to mention you had a typo at "cozy quarter" on the home page.
Keep up the good work and good luck with everything :)
Last edited by Hope03 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Great idea.

I agree with Hope- anything you can offer that is different from what you'd find at a tack shop is good- so I vote for funky colours/patterns.

I guess it depends what someone would want the products for. Someone may want a quarter sheet or cooler for shows, so in that case you may want to have a few conservation colour options to offer for those. But things like polos (which you can't show in anyway), saddle pads and saddle covers I think most people would love in a variety of colours and patterns (I would- even in a cooler/quarter sheet for at home).

What is a skinie? Is that like the lyrca horse hoods you put on before shows to keep the horse clean? (I call them slinkies). If so, I think you'd get alot of people wanting colour and pattern variety. If not, well you may want to add those to your list.

You may also want to look into making bit warmers (of course in fun patterns)- they are easy to make. I have a "homemade" one that I bought off a fellow boarder- love it.

I think at home, everyone needs a little colour and pattern in their lives :)
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dutchie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Giddyup- that was supposed to say slinkie. LOL.

Bit warmers eh? i've never seen one before.. I'ma have to look some up, can probably make some out of lefover material to sell on the side, i think thats a great idea. I know i was a little lazy with warming the bit for my boy (probably why he hated me LOL) im sure he would've apprecaited one.

Im more or less just taking custom orders, i dont want to make to much and have it not sell, however my grandmother got me some fabric and an outragously low price in the states that shes bringing up for me so ill make stuff out of that,but that will probably be it for 'pre mades' and i will just post pics of my custom orders. thanks for the input
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Roger That! » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:35 pm

I think anything in plaid is great! My ponies look so cute in a plaid blanket....
In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster. - Unknown
Roger That!
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kobau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 pm

because i live in hunting territory (though we have most of them trained to not even drive by the farm no since it no hunting there) anything in bright/blaze orange is loved by me. I'm making myself some boot covers(horse ones) that i can put over my horses brush boots, and also I have neck straps that I have that i put on their necks so that it is more noticeable that they are horses with riders, not deer!..

I ride western also, so end up with a whole other gamut of gear also.
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:37 am

Since my horse is a solid bay, I like to jazz him up a bit with coloured/patterned saddle pads. The other thing I find too is that it is *really* hard to find dressage saddle pads that go past the flaps of my saddle. A lot of pads I buy end up being too short, especially after I wash them the first time (and yes, I'm washing them in cold water and hanging them to dry). So I would LOVE IT if someone made long dressage pads in funky colours or patterns!

I'm going to go check out your website...you may be hearing from me soon ;)
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dutchie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Chenders,soo this is way late,but I can make dressage pads too, and I can even make it a little longer than standard to compensate for any shrinkage. I do wash everything in cold water before I make it, and you can get it in ANY colour or pattern you like, hit me up ;)
Dutchie
Groupie
Groupie

Return to General