Long-Distance Trailering

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Long-Distance Trailering

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:24 am

I was just wondering if anyone has had a horse trailered half way across the country? If so, what sort of trailer/company was it (commercial, small business, stock trailer or some spiffy air ride trailer) and approximately how much did it cost you?

I'm likely going to be heading out to AB next summer and was wondering how much should I expect to budget to ship a horse from Southern Ontario to Edmonton. (I don't even have a horse yet... but it's all part of the plan :wink: )
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Long-Distance Trailering

Postby tbbrat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57 am

I had two horses trailered from Manitoba to Paris, Ontario, about four years ago. Cost was $500 each. The carrier was Knill's in Paris - they run out there (or did!) about once a week. It was a livestock transport truck.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby naughty by nature » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 pm

8 years ago (wow doesn't seem that long ago) I had my gelding shipped to ns from ontario I used a professional with an air ride rig he doesn't trailer anymore but did a great job my horse was only 2 at the time and he came here in great condition it cost me $800 then i don't know what it would cost now sorry
naughty by nature

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm....doesn't sound that crazy....
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:28 am

I had Glory shipped from Ontario to New Brunswick and then back again two years later and it was around $350 each way. This was almost 10 years ago now (sheesh time sure does fly!) so I'd expect it to be more now.

We actually got lucky and the stable in New Brunswick that I was bringing her too knew a guy who made regular trips to Ontario shipping TB brood mares back and forth and we were able to get Glory on one of those regular runs which helped the cost a little. So if you are going a head with this plan definitely ask the barn you are going to if they know of any companies that do regular runs back and forth.

I've also used Equine Express to ship Cirrus from Newmarket to London and back. Super nice trailer, air ride trailer and she charged $250 each way. They do regular runs across the country too.

It's definitely doable and not as expensive as you might think :)
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks Kaleena!

Good idea- if things work out like I hope they will (*fingers crossed*- need to actual find myself some secure full time work) I will definitely call around out there and see if there are any barns that regularly trailer either race horses or show horses between ON and AB, as I would plan to trailer in the summer, maybe there'd be more trailer rides during that time period.

I did do some quick googling and there are a few companies that I found (a few air rides too- I'm thinking that would be best) that do trips throughout Canada.
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EQueen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:57 am

we've had 2 horses shipped here from Alberta. Not mine but boarders so I'm not sure how much it cost them. They usually took 2 to 3 days to get here and I believe they both used Perry but I'd have to double check. They'd be shipping on a transport truck then stop at their farm in Ontario and seperated on smaller trailers depending on which direction they were going.
EQueen
Newbies
Newbies

Return to General