Buying a Horse with a Bone Chip- would you?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Buying a Horse with a Bone Chip- would you?

Postby **HocusPocus** » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wondered would anyone buy a horse if they knew he/she had a bone chip in it's hock?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
**HocusPocus**
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No I would not buy with bone chip in the hock.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL Patricia you make me laugh :D (because you are so to the point;)  ) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hocus.....what do you plan to do with said horse? How bad is the bone chip? Has it come apart or not? Age? Past activities?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We might be able to help you better with more info :) There are a couple of posters on here who have successfully treated bone hocks and are competing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I agree with SP, need more info! :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Is the horse priced accordingly?  What are your plans for the horse?   Is it a mare or a gelding?  I'd say that a mare would be easier to sell if ever you had to.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have to agree with the above - we'd need more info.  I think that it's a good idea to also consult a vet. Tell the vet what you plan to do with the horse, and have him tell you if the horse is going to fit your needs, if he's prices accordingly, etc. Also, are you willing and able to take care of any veterinary needs this horse may need in the future?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let us know.........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My answer was short and to the point like her question.....LOL!  She didn't offer too much info to give a basis for any other kind of answer....Bone chips in the hock can't be good unless your just walking/hacking and then some may just be pasture sound.  I answered this question in another forum here...recommending current x-ray to determine location/attached or floating.  Often they are in need or surgery...and are you willing to tack that on to the purchase price and take a chance...not me.  JMHO#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm with Patricia on this.  With so many good, SOUND horse out there for sale, I don't know why anyone would buy a horse with a bone chip.  The *only* reason would be if it's a broodmare of *impeccable* lines, and it would be used for breeding ONLY.  Other than that, I wouldn't buy it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you do intend to buy consult a vet first.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#Fractures of the tarsus or hock occur as a result of trauma or as a secondary complication of degenerative joint disease. The hock is a complex joint that comprises eight bones. As in the carpus, a wide range of locations and types of fractures can occur. Specific diagnosis depends on careful radiographic examination. #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Id just like to make the point that having a bone chip in the hock area does not limit the horse to walk or hacking. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena just had 3 large bone chips removed, 2 were as long as your pinky finger and 1 was the size of your thumb. But they were located just on the very tip of the hock. And luckily she made a good recovery and the bone calcified amazingly and fast and healthy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is sound and we were told by our surgeon and our vet that it would not affect her potential for eventing and jumping. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Though the situation may be different depending on where on the hock they are located and how long they have been there. Alot of horses can do fine with them left in. But a horse for serious competition would most definitely need it removed. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But on top of that... I agree with the others, that unless the horse is spectacular and your vet says it can have full recovery I would look for something else. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But just remember.... we are lucky now that we do have such advanced medical care for our horses. There was an event horse (the name escapes me right now) that had an actual tumour in one of his joints. They were told that he would never be sound and would always be too sore and they should just put him down. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But guess what? They went through with the operations and neccessary recovery and the horse evented the very next summer successfully. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling