Waiting and waiting and waiting

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Waiting and waiting and waiting

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The title says it all. I made this agreement to sell 2 horses to this guy in Germany( lucky damn horses get to go overseas and I don't...gggrrr) So he's working his butt off in Maylasia with the Tsunami disaster and wants to buy my 2. So he has this agent to work with me so we can ship these 2. SO his agent sent me off a cheque last week(finally) ,but I just recieved this call from him saying that it accidentally got shipped off to the states instead of here!!! So now I have to wait some more til the states p/o figures out that this letter belongs to Canada or he's going to send off another cheque! Either way I have been waiting for this cheque since January and this poor man(well not money wise) has to wait for his horses. The faster I get this money the faster my horses can get their yearly shots!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby AQHAgirl » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hopefully your not in a situation that is a scam..sounds very familiar to something a read along those lines...... There was something similar posted at #ed_op#A href="http://www.thetackbox.com"#ed_cl#www.thetackbox.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  You could easily search the message board and forums there for "scams" and take a peek and see how they sound similar. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# If not them Congrats on selling your horses to overseas.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Helen Thomson ~ In riding a horse we borrow freedom

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope you know the buyer - personally.  If not its probably a scam.  If the agent or buyer asks you to cash a cheque and pay out part of it to anyone - RUN!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also it takes over 30 days for an international cheque to clear a Canadian bank.  Scammers are long gone with your money by the time the bank tells you the cheque was no good.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I actually did sell my appaloosa gelding to a man from Germany.  But the breeder I bought my boy from knew him personally - so I knew it was for real.  Plus he had a trainer come and pay me cash.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Megan run quick I smell a rat.  I find it hard to believe he can't find a nice horse in Germany...LOL!  What your selling must be something special.  Your are being SCAMMED!  The cheques are bogus and are worthless.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby PerfectAngel » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree, somethng there smells funny....is the guy named frank, by any chance? The agent named Dean....anyways, I think you should either WAIT UNTIL ALL IS CLEARED and in your account. or fond out who this guy is....somehow. I have gotten about a million of those scammers e-mails, and it's all a big hoax....they run off with your $$ that you send the "shipper" and you end up with nothing.....so BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yup, definitely sounds like a scam to me.  Don't fall for it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:16 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I also do not like the sound of this situation, after reading all of the horror stories about this internet buying and selling...it makes me uneasy.  For sure if this is the only way to get the $$$ I would wait the 30 days out after cashing that overseas cheques so that I knew that I had X amount of $$ in my account, then the man can have his horse shipped.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Anytime I have found anything on the internet that I was interested in buying....horse, trailer etc I get in contact with the seller via e-mail then by phone.  Then see the seller there in person and also the product that I am buying.  Then make the banking arrangements.  I the buyer want to make the seller comfortable that I am honest and my cheque is good.  So far I have not had any bad experiences on this subject.  Good luck but be ever so careful.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:24 pm

PerfectAngel wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree, somethng there smells funny....is the guy named frank, by any chance?
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or Brian? I had a Brian.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No the buyers name is Dave and the agent's name is Andy. I 've spoken with Andy on the phone and told him that I wouldn't be contacting the shipping company to pick up the horses until after the cheque has cleared. He also mentioned about sending a money order and those do go through. I too am cautious but I don't delivery ANYTHING  until I get paid IN FULL. But thanks for you concerns and I will definatly keep my eyes and brain open for any tricks! I'll definatly keep you updated on the progress of the horses! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Another word of caution.  Money orders ARE just like certified cheques.  It does take the bank a month to clear the cheque.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#A better option would be to have him wire the money via Western Union.  DO NOT give him your banking info - people get their accounts cleaned out that way.  And again DO NOT offer to pay anyone for the buyer.  If he can wire you the money, he can wire the shipper/trainer the money just as easily.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I really really hope that this sale is for real for you.  Its so frusterating with all the scams going on.  Be honest with yourself though, if it seems too good to be true - it probably is.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Good luck! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/10.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Dee22 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Megan Ball wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He also mentioned about sending a money order and those do go through. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Monay orders are the same as Certified cheques... it all means the same thing 'guaranteed funds' BUT if the cheque is from a bank outside of Canada your bank will hold the 'money order' or 'certified cheque' until the money clears from the bank it was drawn from. This happened to me when I sold my horse to someone in the States. I got my deposit in a form of a Certified Cheque and my bank held it for approx. 15 days (until it cleared from the bank it came from, may take longer from a European bank)... I ended up asking for the balance to be sent by Western Union as I was not prepared to let my horse set foot na  trailer without cash being in my hands.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Megan, just be careful... make sure that your horses don't go anywhere until those cheques are cashed and you have the CASH in your hands... Also, if the buyer gives you a cheque for more money than your asking and asks you to send him the balance.... it's a scam.... again, just be careful, I had quite a few people try to scam me when I was selling my horse.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just want to thank everyone for their advise as I decided to take it. I was a little worried about this transaction and it just recomfirmed that I was trying to be taken advantage of ( but never would have been as I wait until everything clears before things progress I do wait for cash). I was just excited that my 2 were finally going to be sold as I REALLY need the money. So if anyone outthere wants a mini stud or a welshx pony mare let me know! lol! Thanks for responding and for the great advise!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Scam

Postby Sunny Side Up » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just wanted to add, the scammers dont just stop at e-mails.  Just because they'll call you on the telephone doesnt mean their legit.  High Hopes had the pleasure of dealing with one of these scammers.  She had several telephone conversations with him. They get bolder as they get more desperate.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sunny Side Up
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ellie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AS everyone has already said, this sounds like a scam.  Just because they pay by a certified cheque or a money order DOES NOT make it foolproof either as both of those can be a forgery and you will be left minus your money and your horses.  The only way to be sure of your money is to get cash up front OR talk to your bank.  If this is legit, your bank can set up an arrangement with the seller to wire the funds directly to the bank WITHOUT you giving your account information!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ellie

Postby Patricia » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, I have seen one of these bogus cheques.  Could pass for the real thing...haha.  The person was suppose to be from the US but the cheque was drawn on a US business account.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I sold a Hanoverian colt to the US/Michigan.  I had them wire the money...it was faster.  Then I made the arrangements/paperwork/health exams for the border crossing.  I never like to get involved in arranging for the shipping....That should send up red flags too.  They should be arranging their own shipping and $$ comes from their pocket directly.  That is a red flag when they actually send you more $$ to cover extras.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In the US they can get money order at the corner variety store.  It would be so easy to fraudulently make one up.  My two methods of payment CASH and BANK TRANSFER/WIRE.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elatu » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And who in their right mind would want to buy horses sight unseen; esp. shipping the horses to Europe?. Yeah, get you sucked in to the Tsunami relief tale, give a sob story, and make you feel obligated. Was that really your problem????? Too much information for me! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#FYI check out this website #ed_op#A href="http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com"#ed_cl#http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#  Very entertaining reading about a cop who is scamming the Nigerian Scammers!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Elatu
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have read that website over a year ago.  I have been entertaining the scammer for over a couple years.  They are alway interested in my Warmblood weanlings....LOL!  You can always tell when they don't want to negotiate a price and offer MORE $$$....I just delete the e-mails and move on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling