Where to advertise great event horse and please critique ad

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Postby Ruth » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not having shopped for a prelim event horse I have no idea about the price, but for a horse with miles that is suitable for an amateur and sound I would expect to pay some money! As a frequent troller of horse ads, I like to see a conformation shot if there's only going to be one photo, but then again, my focus isn't eventing. I agree that your target audience is not huge, and that may be why you haven't gotten much response.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I agree with cnigh that although the picture is not bad by any means (and yes, it is well representative of the eventing sport) it doesn't necessarily make a stunning first impression.  The schooling picture is very nice, and I agree that a nice quality eventing picture from a take off point might help with the "wow" factor.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I also agree with cnigh that some people may be interested in the race history more in a medical sense.  Race horses are started young and worked hard at a young age and it can take a toll on joints and limbs.  As an eventer, I would be interested in that kind of detail. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#(though from what you said char, it doesn't seem that she did much racing therefore it probably didn't impact her that much).#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I'd say if you can put a photo album together, (eg. in photobucket.com - good site and free) with several very good picture of her (conformation, legs, show pictures, home pictures and maybe a few short videos) than you can refer all the e-mails or calls you get on her to that link and they will be able to view an album of all the pictures YOU have chosen that show her in her very best light. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Greetings/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby cadence » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Char, try the gaitpost (#ed_op#A href="http://www.gaitpost.com"#ed_cl#www.gaitpost.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#)... their magazine gets mailed out or is available at tack stores around Canada and US.  Also, try jumper or general horse mags too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The price is reasonable for a confirmed, successful eventer, especially since it is obvious if she's made it to Prelim and training at an even higher level, she must have very nice movement and correct conformation - and her colour is very popular these last few years.  That being said, while it's nice to see her X-country pic, it is even better to see a crystal clear side-view conformation shot, plus close-ups of her legs alongside the eventing pic, if your web site will allow it.  If you have a video/DVD, state so and be willing to provide it to serious buyers.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, comment on her bloodlines. Some buyers are looking for future breeding potential.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is she registered with the Canadian or American Jockey Club?  You might consider getting her cross-approved with the Warmblood Association (Canadian or American, depending on what jockey club papers) or Sport Horse (but the former is preferred) as an approved for breeding Improvement Mare, this increases her value to her prospective buyer.  This is not terribly expensive or hard to do. Contact the CWA or CSH website for more information or the American Warmblood Association.  Cross approving her into the warmblood registries opens the door also for greater spectrum of buyers.  There are many breeders looking for improvement horses as TB's are regularly crossed with warmbloods to add certain characteristics and keep the warmbloods from getting too heavy.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You should market her for more than just for Eventing.  If she can event, she can also do Dressage and Stadium Jumping.  So, state her future potentials in both of these arenas too; however, I would eliminate the part about YR, amateur rider or whatever.  Just state she has the potential to go to _____ level.  You never know, if you know she has lots of jump potential and the fight-to-win attitude, some Olympic long or short list candidate might pick her up thinking she could achieve 2008.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Make a clear indication on her x-rays and her injury-free status and provide a soundness guarantee.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course, it's hard to fit in all the information you need into X amount of words or fewer,,, good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I should also mention, because there is a huge amount of horses on the market, the more registries a horse is registered with or approved with changes her from being "a horse that can jump" into the "above-average + breeding potential + versatile " category.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RE: Photo

Postby Jazzy Bey » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#The picture you have on equine.com is a very bad one.  I specialize in photography, especially with horses.  It shows nothing very flattering about her build and the rider doesn't seem too graceful. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#My friend events her appendix and I realize how hard it is to get good shots of eventing horses! But to sell a horse, you need good first impressions. Get a picture of the mare with little background so people are atomatically focused on the horse, get a good one of her #ed_op#U#ed_cl#taking off#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# or #ed_op#U#ed_cl#halfway thru the jump#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# or #ed_op#U#ed_cl#on a flat stretch#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#. They generally are easiest to get and show good movement.  Or you cuold get a still shot - classic and elegant.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#I've been to many eventing shows and I know how hard the bank jumps are, so it might make the mare look better to put an easier jump shot in, so hrose and rider look a bit more "together" to the slightly less-knowing eye. At first when I saw the picture, I thought the horse was running away, because the jump is not very eye-catching at first.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#I know an excellant equine photographer; heres her website : #ed_op#A href="http://www.myhorse.ca/photos/"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=3#ed_cl#http://www.myhorse.ca/photos/#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#(this lady took photos of my horses, they are the Bay Arabian and the Paint...NOT the black and white one tho, the OTHER paint...orange/gold one!)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#As silly and trivial as it seems, a picture is worth a thousand words, a good picture is wirth two thousand, but an excellant picture is worth anything (even 28k!) ;)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#She is a georous mare, dont get me wrong. You know she's georgous but some people are very narrow minded and go on first appearance - such as the first picture they see.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#28k is not to bad, she sounds worth it. My friend sells her eventers for 20k to 45k. So thats right in the range. The only thing I agree is that alot of TB's are for sale, you have to make her #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#sound#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# better than the rest. She probably is better, but you have to put that into words.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0000 size=4#ed_cl#just my opinion! =) I've not ment to step on any toes either, in case I have! =)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<3 Skippers Eatmydust <3
Jaftica Meadows Arabian Training Center
RIP - My Cookie Monster - Jazzy Bey - Abou Ben Jaftica - Duchess of Marchmont - Rustic Sunrise -
Jazzy Bey
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chellelondon » Sat May 28, 2005 7:16 pm

Wow $28K?&nbsp; I don't think I have ever seen a TB listed for more then $10K... Good Luck though
chellelondon
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Char0308 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello,&nbsp; I have found that she is very fairly priced and we are gettting tons of people calling about her now, must have been slow due to the yucky winter weather that was lingering.&nbsp; She is now CCI* qualified and has a great 2005 competition record. Now we just have to wait for the right person to come visit her.&nbsp; Thanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I tend to disagree about people not looking at mares. Mare's can have a second life as a broodmare, whereas geldings can't be bred or used once they have an injury/retire etc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the price...a confirmed cci* ? Thats not unreasonable in the least. I see horses go for more than that. Its finding the buyers thats all. I don't think it's unreasonable. People ask that and more for A level thoroughbreds doing well on the hunter/jumper circuit. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck in selling her! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Dee22 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:57 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the price...a confirmed cci* ? Thats not unreasonable in the least. I see horses go for more than that. Its finding the buyers thats all. I don't think it's unreasonable. People ask that and more for A level thoroughbreds doing well on the hunter/jumper circuit. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Ditto what Gracie says... just to to equine.com, go to the advanced search function,&nbsp;fill in: horses for sale, any state/province, for breed put TB, and for price type in $30,000 and up.... I ended up finding 68 TB's that were $30,000 and up in price. A well trained TB on the hunter/jumper circuit or eventing will cost you some cash ;)#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby jax » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At the last Rolex, about 90% of the horses competing were TBs.&nbsp; For a well trained, scopey, young TB mare (which can be bred later on to make more scopey horses #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;), $28,000 is reasonable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Best of luck, I hope you find a great home for her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Previous

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling