Where to advertise great event horse and please critique ad

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Where to advertise great event horse and please critique ad

Postby Char0308 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is my ad...I'd love feedback and where I should post this.  I have been getting very few responses so far from online ads at equine.com, USEA classifieds, and my AREA website, and wonder if its my ad or not.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Black TB mare,10 yo,16 hds. Easy, great temperment and manners. Can pack YR or AA at lower levels or take serious YR or AA to a One Star. Currently in professional training and competing with Adv riders Emma and Mike Winters (CAN Olympic team) in Newnan, GA. Just placed 1st out of 16 riders and was best score across all Prelim divisions at Fence Horse Trials April 2005. Also placed 3rd out of 24 riders in Open Prelim at Jumping Branch March 2005 Horse trials (many top riders in her class).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Schools Prelim with ease and some Intermediate XC now. 1999-2001 evented thru Prelim and 3'9" jumpers with YR in VA. 2002 schooled regularly by professional in VA. 2003-2004 packed amatuer at schooling shows in GA. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#$28,000 Negotiable. Serious Inquiries only. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Char0308 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh by the way her price is based on her trainers recommendation.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby taco2 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess the first question I would have, is if he's such an amazing horse why are you selling him?  Maybe state that in the ad?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, IMO w/all the horses flooding the market right now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can buy a nice younger (not that 10 is old) for #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#alot#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# less, like around $5000.  So people are opting to buy younger/cheaper, and put the work into them opposed to spending the large $$ on a already trained horse.   I think that $28 000 is ridiculous to pay for any animal,#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley29.gif"#ed_cl# but that is just my opinion.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not sure if anyone else has any input, but, IMO the price is crazy, but then again, I don't do eventing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Char0308 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#By the way here is her ad link in case maybe someone wants to see the photos and let me know if they are bad????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.equine.com/horses/dshowhorse.asp?horseid=801736"#ed_cl#http://www.equine.com/horses/dshowhorse.asp?horseid=801736#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.eventingnewsusa.com/cgi-box/ads/classifieds.cgi?category=AVG&item=1113748740"#ed_cl#http://www.eventingnewsusa.com/cgi-box/ads/classifieds.cgi?category=AVG&item=1113748740#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Char0308 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and she is only for sale because I no longer event due to a non-riding knee injury.  Any ideas how to word that?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby taco2 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"Sadly for sale, as rider is no longer competing" or something along those lines.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Taco on the fact that 28K is alot of money and more than I would ever spend but there are people who spend that kind of money for horses with alot of training/experience.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Char, I'd say the main thing sticks out for me is that she is a TB.  They are a dime a dozen right now.  They are everwhere on the market and they can go for very cheap (granted, they don't necessarily have the training your mare does!).  I think right now, for those with a 28K budget, warmbloods are the horse of choice.  Some buy them for the talent, and others for the prestige, but the fact remains that they are all around now and are the "upper class" breed. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With that said, TBs #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#do excel in eventing#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# and if you have someone serious enough that wants to get to the top, than this may be the horse for them!  The reason your horse may not be selling overnight is:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#1- Only eventers will be interested in this type of horse #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#2- The price range targets a very small audience (not a lot of people have that kind of money)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not saying your mare is not worth that money!  I'm sure you've invested a lot of time, training, and money in her yourself!  But by selling a TB eventing horse for that kind of money, you are basically looking for a very serious eventing rider as well as someone who has a very thick wallet.  Your "audience" so to speak is limited and that may explain why it's taking a long time to sell.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's the same as someone trying to sell a 1 million $ house.  The group of buyers is much smaller for million $ houses than say the group of buyers for houses in the 150 $ range.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think this sale will need a lot of patience and word of mouth.  Would your coach and the trainers involved be able to help you with this sale?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with including the reason for the sale in the ad.  Good luck! :)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby horsemad! » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#This is a proven and confirmed eventer.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#$28K is not too much to ask for a horse that’s going prelim successfully.  And eventers tend to recognize the value of a good TB; even if some are leaning toward the lighter warmbloods, #ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl# TBs are still shown by most riders even at the very highest levels.   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#As to where to advertise… I’m not sure… can your coach help you with that?#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#You need to get the word out at events where she’s competing that your mare is for sale.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I know a lot of venues will allow you to post advertisements near the scoreboard.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Arcadia » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree HM, $28K for a proven eventer is not too much.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Look at the money people will dump for a hunter or jumper that is proven, now that is insane.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Every eventer horse that is TB that I have seen loves their job.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Char0308 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the confirmation on her price, I will see if the trainer and I can hang some flyers at her next event and get the word out more.  Thanks again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Welcome, Char!  I agree with whomever it was (Lix?) who said that you are marketing to a very specific group.  I've got my TB up for sale and he's on a bunch of on-line sites, but I'm wondering if maybe looking around for some sites that are eventer-specific, might give your horse more exposure than just putting him on all the usual sites (equine.com, dreamhorse.com).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unfortunately, I know nothing about eventing but I think there's an "Eventers-L" bulletin board which is just for eventing.  I'm sure there are more.  I'd try to find them and then post your query there.  Eventers will likely know the best places for you to advertise your horse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I#ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl# agree that word of mouth is your best bet.  Maybe get your coach eventing her until she is sold.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I'm not an eventer, but I agree the trend is to buy young Tb's for next to no $$$ and bring them along.  Its going to be a very hard sell at $28,000.  If I had that kind of money I would buy a warmblood too.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Also your picture on Equine.com , is not very flatering (horse or rider).  Do you have any from a take off point of view?    #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Char0308 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What about the picture at this address?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.eventingnewsusa.com/cgi-box/ads/classifieds.cgi?category=AVG&item=1113748740"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000ff#ed_cl#http://www.eventingnewsusa.com/cgi-box/ads/classifieds.cgi?category=AVG&item=1113748740#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#It's better than the eventing picture - but if your looking for big bucks then I would spend some and get professional pictures done.  They make a huge difference in presentation.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsemad! » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I actually don't mind the photo of her jumping down the bank.  At least it shows that she does jump natural obstacles.  I find nothing unflattering about it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I'll say it again, for a #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#confirmed#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# Prelim horse, $28K is #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#not #ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#a lot... if she's marketed properly and to the right audience, there will be no problem with that price.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Arcadia » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like both of your photos!  The bank jump, I don't know anyone who would flattering coming out of that.....unless of course they would like to roll over the horses shoulder.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The one of her schooling in the ring shows she is scopey, I think she is a very nice horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Best of luck, she will sell and someone is going to have a hoot on her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#There are a ton of people who don’t have the time or energy (or maybe even the experience) to bring along a cheap TB and who would be thrilled to purchase a horse who is already going well at the level they want to compete at.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Furthermore, there is a move toward purpose bred horses in eventing… not all are cheap OTTBs that have been brought along.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Many have been bred specifically for eventing and don’t come cheap – even before they’re confirmed at Prelim.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#No offense intended , its just my opinion guys.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I think a good front shot of the horse taking off over a natural jump would be a better sell.  I realise that coming off a bank is not an easy task, but my first impression of the picture was that the horse looks like it was kind of running away with the rider or the rider wasn't prepared for the jump. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl# That's what I meant by not flattering.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Its a very tuff market and horse buyers are much more knowledgable and cautious than ever before.  First impression is the key - you want people to look at your add and say that what they see is worth the asking price.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#IF I was in the market for such a horse I would have alot of expectations - videos, exrays, proven showing record etc.  Your add does not cover basics such as soundness, vices , or any racing history etc.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsemad! » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#There’s the distinct possibility this horse didn’t race if she was purpose bred for eventing… and even if she did, her race record will mean nothing to a serious event rider.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#They would be interested in what she’s doing now and how she progressed to this level - not how she did at the track.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I’d hope anyone who is buying a $28K eventer would have their own vet do the exrays and prepurchase -#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I’m sure of it, actually.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#The rider's position coming down the bank is good... she's leaning back with the reins slipped... just how she should be.  It doesn’t look to me like the horse is running away with her rider… of course I have a fair amount of exposure to eventing so I’m used to seeing moments like this.   #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#In saying all this, I’m fairly certain that a horse of this caliber isn’t likely to sell through a random internet ad, rather that she’ll sell by word of mouth and wise marketing by the OP and/or her coaches.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Char0308 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all the great feedback.  I had her xray'd when I bought her in 2002 and all was good and she has been injury free since.  She did race as a 3 yo twice before she was hand picked by advanced rider/trainer, Phyllis Dawson as a Eventing prospect.  She is by a very popular sire for eventers and jumpers; Aye's Turn.  Her current trainer/rider thinks some of the lack of response may be that she is a mare and a lot of people just don't seem to like to look at mares. Thanks again though for the suggestions on the ad and I am going to try and hang some flyers for her at future events so non-internet savvy people will see her ad, in case they are not working with a trainer that mine is already chatting with :o)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling