Do you care who you sell a horse to?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Do you care who you sell a horse to?

Postby atozequine » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How many of you horse sellers out there are concerned with potential purchasers skills and horse sense or is it the dollars that are most important?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Seems that it is buyer beware in the horse industry.  I've heard many stories about people buying horses and getting ripped of.   Purchasing a horse is a challenging job.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We as members of this industry should demand that sellers be held accountable.Can anyone relate to this? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# If you are buying a horse, how do you make sure you get a fair deal?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
atozequine
Newbies
Newbies

Postby taco2 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, being someone who buys and sells horses quite often.  I do find that I tend to be one who is leary of who I sell my horse to.  I'm very senimental, and find I get attached to my horses very easily, and often find it hard to sell them to anyone, even though I may need to move the horse asap.  I tend to hold on to them longer, looking for that "perfect" buyer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, for me, I tend to look at the over all picture, not just the money.  You may offer me $500 more than person A, but that doesn't mean you'll get my horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Sun May 01, 2005 6:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it depends on who the seller is, regarding what their priorities are.  For someone who buys and sells horses all the time, the priority is likely to make a profit...but even the people I know who do this ARE concerned about finding a good home for the horse...not ALL of them are, but the ones I know, are.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've just sold my TB, and finding the right person for him definitely WAS a priority for me.  The girl who is buying him was out to ride him twice, I met both her parents, found out what she plans to do with my horse, where he will be boarded, saw how she rode and handled him, went with my gut feeling, and decided that she was going to give him a good home.  At one point, I considered taking my horse to an auction, but decided against doing that, as I would have NO idea about what kind of home he'd be going to.  I wasn't prepared to just hand him over to anyone, just to get him sold.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as your point about "sellers being accountable" I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Buying horses is risky business.  Having the horse vet-checked takes away SOME of that risk, but in the end, it boils down to "buyer beware".  I do believe that if the seller withholds key information about the horse, such as illnesses or lameness and such, the buyer DOES have legal recourse, but in the end, the buyer too, needs to have good horse-sense, to be able to discern whether the horse is as its represented to be or not, and whether the seller is being honest or not.  An inexperienced buyer should ALWAYS take a horse-savvy person with them...buying horses is NOT for someone who has no clue what they're doing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

selling horses

Postby pony crazy » Sun May 01, 2005 7:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In my personal opinion I always care about who I sell a horse to.You want to make sure that the horse is going to a good home,to someone who either knows what they are doing or are going to have help from someone with experience.Depending on the horse you want to make sure it is going to an experienced rider to fit the needs of the horse.It is very easy in this industry to sell a horse to someone who doesn't know what they are doing.But at the same time the horse industry is a very small world,everyone knows or knows about everyone else. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sat May 07, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I absolutely care. I've sold 3, one I had to run through an auction and I won't go into the extenuating circumstances. I'd only do that in desperation, and this was a case where in hindsight I shouldn't have bought that horse at that time in my life. Another went to a great home, but because she is a young donkey and donkeys live for 40-50 years, I only hope that if they ever have to sell her that they will find her as good a home as they are giving her. The last one I sold was a bit of a weird scenario, an unstarted 4 yo medium pony, and I was up front about the fact that he was a real firecracker and probably wasn't going to be easy. I didn't have a great feeling (not a bad one either, but not as happy as I could have been) about the people, but they were buying him for Pony Club, so that made me feel better. I also asked them what would happen if he didn't work out for Pony Club and they said there was no way they'd ever run him through a sale so I let him go. A year later I got a call from them wanting to know if I would take him back for less than what I sold him for, he was now started but needed more work than they could find someone experienced enough to give him and were saying they were going to run him through an auction if I didn't take him back. I would have, except that this was when our water line froze and burst underground, so while maybe it wouldn't have been totally impossible to buy him back, it would have been VERY financially irresponsible. That being said I was willing to cash in my one small RRSP so that he wouldn't go to a sale, but when I spoke to the people a couple of weeks later they had backed off on that idea and were now saying that they would keep him until they found the right home for him, so on that note, I did not take him back. I'm to afraid to call and find out what happened to him in the end.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like to breed and as much as when they're born I want to keep them all, I only have so much time and space! So if I want to stop selling them I have to stop making more.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Mon May 09, 2005 2:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have only sold one horse and I definatly cared who I sold him to. Granted that non of the people that came to see him were bad people, they probably all would have given him a great home but the woman that ended up with him was PERFECT for him... I just got a much better feeling watching her riding him. I probably would have sold him to any of the others (all good people) but some didn't suit him as much as the end buyer did.... had I come across someone who I got a bad feeling about and I didn;t think they would love and care for him in the way that I did... I wouldn't sell him... he was my baby and I couldn't even think about him being abused or sold from home to home.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eclipse » Wed May 11, 2005 8:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would... which is why I kept my foal :D . The whole 11,5 months that my mare was with foal I was saying "I'm definitely selling the foal, there's no way I'm going to keep to horses, as soon as the foal can be weaned he or she will be sold"... then when I first laid eyes on him when he was just born I heard myself say: "Oooohhh, he's so cute!!! I'm keeping him!" A wise lesson learned; I am too much of an emotional wuzz, I get too attached to be able to sell horses. Point no. 2; I'm also a wee bit arrogant... I like to think nobody can take as good care of my horses as I do... *lol*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~off all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most~
Eclipse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Arcadia » Mon May 16, 2005 11:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I care very much who buy my horses, they are a big part of my life and want nothing but the best for them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In certain cases sellers can be held accountable for their actions but it has to be proven and often the court costs and stress just isn't worth it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby showjumper » Fri May 27, 2005 9:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course you should be concerned on who you sell your horse to. I would be a little worried on if people would take proper care of them but you have to trust your instincts.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ariel#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
showjumper
Newbies
Newbies

Re: Do you care who you sell a horse to?

Postby luvr » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:58 am

#ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#
atozequine wrote:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#Seems that it is buyer beware in the horse industry.  I've heard many stories about people buying horses and getting ripped of.   Purchasing a horse is a challenging job.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#We as members of this industry should demand that sellers be held accountable.Can anyone relate to this? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl# If you are buying a horse, how do you make sure you get a fair deal?  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#
#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Here's some pretty good articles that could probably help both the buyer and seller.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.equisearch.com/farm/legal/eqcontract917/index.html"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#How to Write a Horse Sale Contract#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.equisearch.com/farm/legal/eqbuyer392/index.html"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#Buying or Selling a Horse - Avoiding the Pitfalls#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
luvr
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kobau » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Course i care who i sell to... i am not looking for $ i am looking for the right person for my horses. But in all honesty, there are times, such as now when i have to suck it up and not be as nick picky. Namely i have a Paint sale to go to Sept 17th, it is put on by the mb paint assc, it has an awesome rep and i have sold a horse through them before. I have at least 5 horses that will be going to that sale. and i will just be hoping and praying they go to the right homes. I know meat buyers do not go to this sale because of it being a reg paint sale... and if it is a meat buyer(by some chance) there bidding on my horses i will pass the horse out of the ring..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am well known for dropping my price if it is the right person/situation for the horse..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby High Hopes » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do as well care whom my horses go to.  I have sold 2 in the past year.  I hold on to them until 'their' owners come along.  I think they really can tell you when they come.  I am a firm believer home over price.  Both of my former horses are in wonderful homes and are flourishing.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sellers are responisble yep sure.  But it is buyer beware.  Buyers have to ask a lot of questions and ask everything.  If untruthful answers were given they totally sellers fault. Both sellers and buyers must go with their gut instincts I think.  That is what I find works the best for myself!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Before I loved horses I had nothing to live for, Now I love horses and can't stop seeing things to live for. God bless the Creature that is so noble they make me feel ALIVE!!
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling