The Great Debate...

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

The Great Debate...

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon May 02, 2005 6:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK, so I am having a little trouble deciding what to do about all the horses that I have, and the ones that I want. Here is my dilemma. I have a 2 year old paint filly (NOT FOR SALE) and a 5 year old pony mare (MAYBE FOR SALE) and her 1 month old mule colt (NOT FOR SALE) as well as a 3 year old gelding that I am training (FOR SALE). There is a gorgeous breeding stock paint filly that I want to buy, not very expensive, really pretty that I would probably be able to sell easily. BUT I have to board my horses for a while and the place that I am boarding isn't really a boarding stable but he has agreed to allow me to board my horses. There is a catch: he has a stud, and I have a free breeding to his stud (long story) and he wants me to breed my pony to the stud so that she can be in a field next to him without him getting "excited". Which is fine by me, I love her colt from this year, and it would be a gorgeous foal. OK...the dilemma part: If I buy this filly, I'd most likely have to sell my pony, because I can't have that many horses. If I do that, I may not be able to board the filly there because she'd have to be beside the stud and she's not quite 1 yr yet and not of breeding age. He could introduce her to the herd, but it's kind of hard, because they have all been together for so long, a new horse screws up all the dynamics....basically, I dont' know what to do, but I really really like this filly.....aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrgggghhhh#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Please let me know what you all think, maybe I should forget this filly, maybe I should try to work something out?? Opinions are welcome, I won't get offended....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sat May 07, 2005 12:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A new horse doesn't screw up the herd dynamics for very long. They usually sort things out pretty quickly. What I'd be more worried about is having all those horses and not having your own farm. If something goes wrong with your current arrangement you could be looking at quite a lot of expense to board them in a more conventional setting. Also don't breed your pony to the stallion for a convenient turnout arrangement. If the stallion compliments your mare's weak points and you think you may get a marketable and useful foal from it then fine. If you really want to breed her find her best match, not the nearest thing with b%$ls.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon May 09, 2005 7:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol...well, I had a thread about breeding her a while back and had decided that he DOES compliment her weak points (size and movement) and I was going to breed her anyways, but not this year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also to clarify, I do have my own place and I could bring the horses home if I had to, but I'd rather wait and fix it up the exact way I want it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is no problem with the board, unless she doesn't fit in with the herd. I know that it's usually easy t introduce a new horse, but this herd has been together for years, with the only new additions being foals from mares that were already part of the herd, so a new horse IS hard to introduce here. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have decided to keep her there while the stud is away showing, then board her not too far until next spring when she gets bred. problem solved!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling