What's the market like these days?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

What's the market like these days?

Postby Chisholm » Fri May 27, 2005 5:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK I haven't been paying attention to the buying selling market lately.  So I was wondering what the market is like right now for a horse in the $4K-5K range, 15.2 and 11 years old.  Are people buying right now.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know that higher priced horses are 16hhs Plus etc...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any info on the market would be great.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pony Hunter » Fri May 27, 2005 5:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No decent large ponies for sale in the Ottawa area #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby chenders01 » Sat May 28, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Welll, having just sold Dali and scouring all the online classified sites, to see what was selling and what the prices were, I will say that an 11yo 15.2hh horse would only go for $4-5K if it was very well trained and had a good show record.  Most people want something younger and taller.  If it jumps, a horse like that might be good for a kid who is moving up from a pony, or possibly a smaller adult who doesn't want a monster.  But really, I'll be honest with you, from what I saw, most people want either a pony (for their kids) or a horse that's over 16hh.  Horses in the 15-16hh range don't sell too quickly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Breed plays a big factor too.  TBs are a dime a dozen and a lot of people don't want them because they're "too hot".  If there is any warmblood in there, you'll have better luck at selling and will get a higher price.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, what can the horse do?  I found that the majority of buyers are hunters/jumpers and if your horse can't jump (ie. can only do dressage) you're going to have a harder time selling it.  It also helps if the horse is bombproof on trails too (IOW, buyers want a horse that can do everything...yet only want to pay $2,500 for it).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Honestly, I found the selling process to be very frustrating.  I had Dali priced at $3,500 and said in my ads that he wasn't fully trained, yet I had people emailing me, asking how high he jumped, how much showing had he done, was he quiet on trails...all stuff that I made it clear (I thought) in my ad, that he couldn't do/hadn't done yet.  The market is very swollen right now which means that buyers are being VERY choosy and demanding a LOT.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are you buying or selling, Chis??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Keetee » Sat May 28, 2005 8:43 am

I think location plays a big factor in pricing.  Chisholm, you are
in the same area as me and I think the prices are higher here than in
some other parts of the country.  When I was looking 2.5 years
ago, the horses out west were quite a bit cheaper, as were the horses
in the backwoods of ON.  Of course because they were far away, I
could look at videos but unless I was really impressed, I didn't go
look at them.   #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I also think that the barn that the horse is stabled at makes a
difference.  If the stable is fancy, people are more willing to
pay a higher price, if they have to try the horse out in a field, they
won't want to pay as much.  This is partly due to atmosphere,
which of course has nothing to do with how good the horse actually is,
partly due to the fact that you can't really assess a performance
horse's ability in a field.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
For a well trained horse that can carry a beginner amateur to a decent
level, maybe Second level in dressage, even at 15.2 and 11 years old,
could sell for 10k.  It would have to be competitive at shows,
sound, with show experience and easy enough to handle for the amateur
beginner.  Papers and a pretty face add to the cost.  There
was a horse for sale in our area that was I think barely 15.2hh, 7
years old, only at about training/first level but really well behaved
with some show experience and the ability to go further.  He was
priced at I think about 10k.  I would have bought him had I not
already bought my mare.  I didn't think he was a deal for that
price but I thought it was a fair price.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chisholm » Sat May 28, 2005 9:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the input very useful.  Thanks Keetee, yes our area seems to be more highly priced right now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Sat May 28, 2005 10:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the market is still a bit slow, I'm always checking horse ads. Now I'm usually looking at possible broodmares, not riding horses. There is a niche market for smaller quality quiet horses, I know 2 different people in 2 different areas of Ontario, who had people fighting over their 15.2 hh horses and both got more than their asking price, my one friend could have gotten $10,000 (which was twice what she was asking) for her 5 yo QH because he was quiet and a good mover. He was sold in less than a week, and surprisingly she had a heck of a time selling her 16.2hh QH who was also dead quiet, but he wasn't as good a mover. I know that big horses still sell better, but there is a trend to smaller horses in the 40+ female market, people are realizing that it's nicer to be close to the ground, and that it can take a lot of effort to ride the hugenheims.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dream_Merchant » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:19 pm

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
Listen to all you old whinners out there :mrgreen:

Be thankful you don't live in Australia if you are a seller -- dear lord, it's shocking over here at the moment!! Very very very slow. However, if your a buyer, then whoop whoop for you. I'm battling to sell a super nice WB x Anglo-arab mare for $5,500, with good bloodlines, a super free-jump on her, and movement to die for!! *hits head against the wall*

Oh well, every part of the world goes through though, so I can't complain too much!
</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Are you thinking of selling Chisholm???#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:23 am

Hmmm.....I think I'll move to Australia.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Actually, prices out here are pretty decent. Gotto love that about Saskatchewan.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:06 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
I'll swap places with you then GD -- then I can sell away, and you can buy away! Problem will be the switching back and taking our respective horses home.... *grumbles*</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby TrueColours » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am actually finding the market very steady and very good right now, for open mares, mares in foal, weanlings and yearlings.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Literally whatever we are producing or have available for sale, we are selling, so no complaints at all... #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also - to find what I am looking to buy, I will look everywhere - and I do mean EVERYWHERE! My latest acquisition is coming from New Zealand, so yes - it is a very specific market and a very narrowly focused one, but it has been very successful for me over the years.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know what you mean I have been trying to sell a pony( and now her filly) for almost a year now with no luck!! Everybody wants them bombproof! The mare has been off for 2 yrs now for goodness sake!! Plus it says greenbroke in my ads and they still ask if she is bombproof!! I'm not even asking a lot! $1200 for the both of them!!! *sigh* it is a buyers market right now! everybody wants them young, bomproof, and jumps, for free!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Almosta Farm » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well I have a nice mover who is close to the ground and I can't sell him for the life of me , I think he is reasonably priced as this horse has the potential to go far.......but I am in one of those backwoods places that noone wants to venture to.lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Almosta#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Almosta Farm
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling