Finding a partboarder?!

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Postby horsemad! » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm with Dee.  My impression is that Hunter is very green indeed from some of Cnigh's past posts.    Ditto on what Dee said about the flying changes... all horses do them in the wild without training.  Harvey is smart and just getting herself balanced in the corners when she finds herself on the wrong lead.  I'd be really impressed if, instead of switching her lead in the corners, she'd pick up the right one in the first place.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Dee and Horsemad re. Harvey.  3-1/2 years old is most definitely a green horse.  And I agree, Harvey is likely switching leads because she's not balanced enough to counter-canter yet.  It's when you ASK for a flying lead change and get it, that you can accurately say that the horse does flying lead changes.  Harvey is a looooonnnnggg way from that.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BUT, I do agree about Cnigh's use of the word "green-broke" in her ad, as that phrase can mean different things to different people.  "Green-broke" to some can mean "has had a saddle on it's back" while to others, it may mean "can w/t/c quietly".  It would be better, as Soda suggests, to indicate in the ad, exactly what Hunter can do versus just saying "green-broke".  It will give people a much better idea of how much training he's had.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Harvey dosn't have a problem with picking up her leads. But it's the rare horse that gets them perfect from day one. Regardless of why she is switching or not dosn't matter, and i don't really care if you're impressed with what she can do or not as this isn't about her. The whole point of the matter was that cnigh wanted to drum up some more interest; and this is a perfect example of what some people consider green or not. Dee i personally would not have considered mopar 'green' - because when I hear that word, i think backed maybe 10-20 times and the horse is not 100% confident in their job or with their aids. So therefore, if cnigh is looking to get more interest in her add, why leave something in when it is so open to misinterpretation? instead, just state what he can do and screen from there. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#But that was just an idea I had, she can use it or not. My intention of the suggestion for her ad was not for debate on whether my horse is impressive or what green really means and to whom. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby horsemad! » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, SP... a little touchy?   You're the one who brought up Harvey and how she's offering up "flying changes".   Some of us clearly just felt perhaps a little education on what's truly considered a flying change was in order.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#No. But this thread does not need to go on about Harvey or people who don't know her suggesting anything in terms of what she knows. I used her as an example for what i might write, (and what i would want to see as someone looking to partboard) only because she is young, which Cnigh mentioned Hunter is. I don't know how old hunter is though, how long he's been under saddle, what he knows, etc. etc. Anyway i hope my example ad helped you out or gives you some ideas to add Cnigh. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby horsemad! » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well there was no need to get snarky.  We are all offering up suggestions to try and help Cnigh get her horse ridden if not part boarded. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Mystic » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok. Gonna throw my two cents worth into this. Cnigh, you need to be honest about what the horse can and can't do. Don't put in anything about what you think the pony is capable of doing but what they can actually do. I've been in some part-board situations where the horse was said to be able to do certain things when in actual fact they couldn't or had issues with doing them. I gave up on a part board that the owner said the horse could do what I wanted but in actual fact couldn't. You need to be honest with yourself about what Hunter can do right now and what you want to get out of the part board. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My advice is just to be honest about what Hunter can do and all you can do then is hope for the best.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Dee22 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:24 pm

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, SP... a little touchy?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ditto!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP - No one was trying to insult you or your horse... it's just dangerous grounds to leave out the fact that a horse is green. Mopar WAS green, there is NO way I would even consider putting a novice rider on him... sometimes I wondered if I wanted to get on him myself LOL... he was capable of doing the things I mentioned but he wasn't very confident doing them, he needed help from an experienced rider to guide him through what you wanted him to do. Trust me, that horse was green, he needed many, many more miles put on him before I would consider him 'trained' or 'experienced'. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Having said all that, I agree with your point that Cnigh should maybe put in her ad exactly what the horse can do. As Chenders said green to one person means something different than to another. There are different kinds of green... #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#For example: Mopar may have been able to do more than Harvey can right now because he had more training on him and he was older BUT I would more likely put a less experienced rider on Harvey over Mopar because of her attitide that you have described, she's easy going, not spooky etc. Mopar could be nervous and explosive when he got handed too much, he was spooky and jumpy... he was honest as the day is long but also lazy and liked a good fight.... when he was scared he was also a power house and for a less experienced rider would not be safe.... SO, you may consider Harvey more green than Mopar, he was a different kind of green, he didn't have that laid back 'come what may' attitude that your girl seems to have... and when he got confused he got upset...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Anyway... I wasn't trying to start a fight... JMHO that any 3 1/2 yr old horse IS green and it would be 'false advertising' to state anything less.. BUT in an ad to lease any green horse,  your right, it would be wise to state everything the horse can do along with it's attitude and personality because it makes a HUGE difference to who's looking :)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Embiem3 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, this post has certainly turned out to be an interesting one.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#  I part-boarded and leased many horses before I bought my own. Part-boarding can be great, but it can also be a heart breaker. I part-boarded a few greenies(everything from just being backed to just learning how to jump) and in the beginning, they were great. I part-boarded them for usually a year, putting training and show miles on them, and then the owners would turn around and sell them. I would get absolutely nothing out of this, even though I was the one training them and paying for them to show, but got nothing out of the selling price, or any credit. And it wasn't like I was getting paid to do so, or even part-boarding at a cheap price, the part-board ranged from $150-$250 a month with only 4 rides per week. This is the only downside for part-boarding a greenie in my mind. There is always that chance that the owner will change their mind and sell the horse. So you may want to put in your add either that the horse will be sold in a few years, or that you will be keeping the horse forever. Or, that if the horse sells, the pber gets the option to buy at a discounted price, or gets lets say 10% of the selling money.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl# Riding is Riding. If you are a serious rider, you will take any ride you can get. I have never once turned down a ride on ANY horse. Every horse has something to teach you.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#$100 for unlimited riding is a good price I think, depending on how much your board is and what you mean by unlimited riding. If your splitting the ridding time (3 days each) you should be splitting the bills (or at least the board price). If they are getting 5 days a week, then you change the price of the part-board accordingly.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Location might also be working against you - maybe your horse is located in the middle of no where, and no one that is looking to part-board a horse, is in the area. Maybe moving your horse might be something to consider.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl# Is showing the horse when it's ready an option? that's also a big selling point, well I guess, part-boarding point.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl# I don't see why everyone is jumping on Soadapoppers.. I fail to see her post where she is asking for advice.I do however see everyones point that it is a MUST that you mention the horse is green and for an experienced rider only. But I think ( I may be wrong) what SP is trying to say is, why not write about how great your horse is on the ground and how hard your horse trys to do what he is told and that altho your horse is green, the horse will not make an attempt to kill you every time mounted.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Please everyone, lets be civil and get back on topic. There hasn't been a topic closed lately due to fighting.. how about we keep it that way?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Amanda#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Embiem3 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:31 pm

Dee22 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway... I wasn't trying to start a fight... JMHO that any 3 1/2 yr old horse IS green and it would be 'false advertising' to state anything less.. BUT in an ad to lease any green horse,  your right, it would be wise to state everything the horse can do along with it's attitude and personality because it makes a HUGE difference to who's looking :)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#That is what I meant. There are so many different 'types' of green, and can mean so many different things to different people. I still consider Harvey AND Dream 'green' in terms of what they know. However both are confident in their jobs and what they are asked to do. While they are both green I don't consider them 'unsafe'. Where as usually (maybe stereotyping) when I look at horse ads, i see "green" and turn away, because right away i associate that with "unsafe" or "dangerous."#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#And my intentions were not  'snarky'. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby horsemad! » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe you didn't intend to be snarky, but statements like "I don't really care whether you're impressed" certainly come across that way.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Wow - how did this thread get so out of hand?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I have taken a lot of your advice and have revised my ad.  I am waiting to see if anyone bites.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#BUT and its a big BUT, I can't have a young child come out to ride him for a number of reasons.  1) I'm not offerring babysitting 2) the partboarder must be able to handle horses in all ways. 3)Its a private farm and sometimes there is no one there but YOU.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#SP - Hunter is 5 and was started under saddle as a 4 year old.  So he's been under saddle for about the same amount of time as Harvey.  He had the winter off, but has come back really well.  He w/t's and is starting to canter under saddle and has been jumped a few times.  Hunter is not mean or spookey but will pull some baby antics if allowed.    He is green which I have stated and will leave in the ad.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#As for if I should charge anything or not, I am going to leave it at $100 which is a very fair price for the amount of riding offered.  As I said its NOT a split deal where the partboarder rides 3 times a week and I ride 3 times.  I will ride him, only if they opt out for a day or only have a short ride or something.  So I am NOT limiting the riding in any way.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Some of you guys are a little too jaded - not everyone is out for a fast buck.  I am NOT trying to pull a fast one on a young kid.   I am sure there is a girl out there that would love to ride all summer.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#And as I said before I have decided to take him off the market, so Hunter is no longer for sale.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Thanks again for the input.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby shady222 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm when i look for partboarders...mind you i have never had a green horse to part board there are some option but some things could not be helping you. First of all how many people actually have been to or know the stable that your pony is boarded at? you are more likely to find a partboarder or someone willing to ride your horse at a barn that is fairly populated and where lots of the kids lease. Pony Clubs, 4hs and all that are good for this, there is also the option of having someone take lessons on him from a good coach and practice on him other times. There are people interested in leasing green horses but many people by that time have purchased or are looking for there own horse...Besides that fact i find Pony Club and lessons or through coaches are the best way to find leases...even with adults. There is also newspaper ads and all that or showing the horse and letting others know that you are offering the horse for lease? anyway, just some ideas to add to all the others#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't feel bad Soda...i have a young guy coming too and you know what..there is joy with young prospects because everyday they progress so much, with older horses and more experienced like my mare she is teaching me and yes it gets borring when you cant think of anything to work on or teach her...hehe lessons are good tho...I support you, i just bought a yearling and am excited to have fun times with him :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is always an interesting debate to me, the paying or not paying to ride a green horse. Personally I wouldn't do it, because I figure that seeing as I can train a horse competently that someone should be happy to have me ride their horse for free. I don't worry about what happens if a horse that I've trained is sold and I get no monetary compensation, as long as I have enjoyed myself with that horse, then that is reward enough. But I wouldn't pay for it. Now, Cnigh I will soon be entering the same "arena" so to speak. I have a nice, green (but quiet) large pony who I would love for someone to take on a lease or part-board. As long as she's at home I wouldn't want money for it, but I don't have an arena, and am not willing to pay her board for someone to ride her all winter. So I'd want them to pay her board.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now from the owner's perspective on part-boarding a green horse. Chances are that the horse could be sold and all your hard work will benefit someone else, but you do have to remember that while you trained that horse, the owner did supply the animal itself, most likely it's tack and paid for the vet and farrier in most cases. And when push comes to shove, it is their horse. Which is not to say part-boarders don't get ripped off, I know that it happens. I've been on both sides of the coin, and never had issues, but I've certainly seen them!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby shady222 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#exactly but the thing is if horses are rare in your area, well ones that people are willing to lease for a specific discipline than usually it isnt too hard finding someone to partboard the horse. It may be harder with a green horse though just because you would need to evaluate the rider and make sure they could handle the horse on there own. But #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby shady222 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#exactly but the thing is if horses are rare in your area, well ones that people are willing to lease for a specific discipline than usually it isnt too hard finding someone to partboard the horse. It may be harder with a green horse though just because you would need to evaluate the rider and make sure they could handle the horse on there own. But if #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby shady222 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oops i was going to add something#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But if you have the right breed and the right people it just takes time :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby moongirl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone I have had ride Cricket, I paid (have paid out close to 2k at this point and he still isn't pb-able).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would never ever dream of calling him a part-boardable horse at this point.  I know that I would end up strung up if I tried that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe you should have Hunter in training as opposed to a pb situation cnigh?  Even free pb at this point would be questionable.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
They're magically delicious!
moongirl
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby High Hopes » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well.. Cnigh.  I would keep to the truth about the little man with you add, better to be truthful right?  This way you get the best possible rider for him.  I would agree with stressing his good qualities as well though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a similar situation as Simon was not fully started until age 5.  Yep a bit late!  But that's ok.  He started training last September with my coach and is doing great.  I may know of a coach (being that I am from the same area) that had a good pony rider.  Not sure if the young lady has bought her own horse but I'll put some feelers around for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!  He is quite cute!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby geldinggirlie » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:56 pm

Cnigh,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The Price is Perfect for Hunter, Everyone can over analyze the ad as
much as they want, but seriously, you might just have to sit and wait
on it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I would jump on the offer in a second as Hunter is the perfect height
for me to ride (I prefer the little horses) And He would be exactly