Finding a partboarder?!

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Finding a partboarder?!

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Ok so the sale for Hunter fell through (long story), he's back and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with him.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I have made the decision that selling Hunter and getting Dolly back just isn't meant to be.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#With my current job I can only ride a couple of times a week, so I am looking for a partboarder for Hunter.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I have put up a couple of ads looking for a partboarder and in the last week I have received 0 replys.  So what am I doing wrong?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40" color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Here is my ad:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#$100/month Unlimited Riding#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Great Summer Opportunity for the right person! #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#located on a private farm in Ancaster - off Hwy 52. #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Sweet large pony gelding 14.1hh for partboard. Green broke but very willing - not spooky. #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Ride on miles and miles of trails without seeing a road. Also large grass paddock with jumps and a small round pen. #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Would suit an experienced teenager, must have own transportation#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#. #ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Any suggestions? or am I just being too impatient!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Well some things that came to my mind were maybe mentioning who covers vet and farrier costs, you, them, or half/half, and what *does* he know? you say he is green but to some people that can mean just started under saddle (2-3 rides) , or it can mean he knows how to w/t/c solidly but not jump or doing flying changes, etc. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#The fact that he's smaller and green broke might very well be working against you. It's usually kids who ride ponies and most parents aren't gung-ho about throwing their kid on a green broke pony. So i would just say really specify what he knows, or put some more time into him to build up his credentials to look better on paper. Also (unfotunately) there seems to be a 'big-horse' phase going around. Everybody seems to be looking for these giant horses lately#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl# ....good luck finding him a part board, and sorry to hear the sale deal fell through. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Thanks SP - I have added the part about vetting and farrier.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#As for his size - can't do much about it.  Hopefully I will be able to find a teenager that just wants to ride all summer and have lots of fun without it costing too much.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Of course I will be spending as much time as possible with Hunter myself - I always do.  Working 12 hour shifts and having an active family limit my horsey time though.  Hence looking for a partboarder in the first place.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I have printed some flyers and will be posting them around the area.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Anyone else have any suggestions?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Promise » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where have you posted your ad? I always look around on Classified ads, and I think I've only seen your ad on TheTackBox and EC just recently  (or have I just missed the rest...) . If you haven't yet - you might want to try EMG, your local tack shop, etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think your price is more than reasonable right now, at $100 a month for unlimited riding. Maybe your last line kinda deters people who are interested.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#And its always harder to get people to pull out money from their pockets...so give it some time :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck in finding the right person to partboard your pony :) I'm sure the right person will come along soon.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

<3 Guinness ~ Buckskin Beauty
Promise
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Thanks Promise,&nbsp; I have an ad on EMG as well (different user name).#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I agree that saying he needs an experienced rider is going to make finding a partboarder harder. &nbsp;Its a private farm and I can't have a young child coming up to ride without supervision.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#The partboarder must be able to get to the farm themselves, get the horse from the field (not hard to do - huge suck), groom him, tack him up, ride him, hose him down if needed and clean up after themselves.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I think it would be perfect for a teenager that wants to ride a lot, but doesn't have the money to buy their own horse.&nbsp;&nbsp;I know I would have jumped at the chance when I was younger.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Hopefully between two of us Hunter will be ridden 5 - 6 times a week.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kaleena » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think his size and the fact that he is green will be working against you, but I'm sure the right person will come along, it just might take a bit longer&nbsp;I know I too would have jumped at this chance in my teen years. I'd even consider it now as I'm a petite 23year old and love ponies! Too bad I have two of my own that take up all of my time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One thing you may want to include in your ad is something about coaching...ie. coaching availble, or outside coaches welcome. That sort of thing and maybe something about potential to show for the right person.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#honestly I think the fact that hes green and will need someone experienced and that you are expecting them to pay is going to deter people. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Because that means that they are basically paying you to be able to train&nbsp;your&nbsp;horse. And riding a green horse is hard work. Plus if they want to show the horse they will need to pay for entry fees and trailering ect. And its still going to benefit you in the end because you are the one who will be getting the trained horse, or at least one with a bit more experience. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Part boarding or leasing is more common for trained horses or ponies that people get for kids that cant afford a horse to be able to show.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Who knows though! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Thanks guys,#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I hope the right person will come a long.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I added coaches welcome to my ad, so that might get more people interested.&nbsp; Also it may be early yet with school not done until the end of the month.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Xena, I'm not looking for someone to pay me while they train my horse.&nbsp; I cannot have a rank beginner up on a green pony on a private farm with no supervision - hence why I ask for experience.&nbsp; And obiviously I am not a shuttle service either.&nbsp; If I could get to the farm 4 - 5 per week I'd ride him that much myself.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Anyhoo, anyone else have any suggestions?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pony Hunter » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Xena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Right now I have a really safe schoolmaster thats done a bit of showing and is safe as they come for a free lease. However &nbsp;he is on my own property and we pay for farrier,vet,hay, entry fees,etc. His owner is just really happy that he is being well cared for, excersized,and shown. It can be hard to find a person that whats to deal with a greenie espically when they dont own it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Promise » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe you should specify what you mean by "experience". By this do you mean you want an 'experienced/advanced rider' or just someone who has the basics of riding down (so some experience with horses)?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you specify - ex.&nbsp;someone who w/t/c confidently - there would be no misinterpretation, it wouldn't look like you're trying to get some advanced rider to train your horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

<3 Guinness ~ Buckskin Beauty
Promise
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lehane » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think what xena means is that by riding your horse they are essentially training it (putting hours and work onto a green horse to make it ungreen, if you will) and not many people want to pay for to train.&nbsp; Obviously it is not your intention but to some people they will see it as such.&nbsp; I've done it before and hated it, and have vowed to only part board more experienced horses from now on.&nbsp; So the greenness is definitely a factor.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#But for your price and unlimited riding (but it's not really unlimited is it? since you'll still be riding as well?) it's quite the deal. Give it time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kaleena » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#While I agree that some people will see this type of arrangement as the owner trying to get someone to 'train' their horse, others will see it as an opportunity to expand their riding. I know for me, I hit a wall with my riding progression and riding a green horse allowed me to continue to progress. Riding other peoples green horses first gave me the confidence in my abilities to buy and start my own.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Thanks guys,&nbsp; I know that some people will think that I am trying to get my boy trained.&nbsp; But honestly I don't care if the partboarder just wants to go brush him.&nbsp; He loves attention of any kind.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#The only thing that may limit the amount of riding the partboarder does is how often they can make it to the barn.&nbsp; I don't care if its 3 or 6 times a week.&nbsp; I will be riding him as well, when and if I feel he can handle it.&nbsp; My real love is to groom anyway.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cnigh, is your priority to find someone to put miles on him or is it to help you pay your board?&nbsp; Because if it's the former, then you might want to consider making it a 'free' arrangement, where someone will just come out and ride him and put the training on him that you want.&nbsp; You'll still have to pay your regular board but you'll get the boy trained and then maybe have better luck selling him, come September.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just something to consider...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Neither actually.&nbsp; Just want him to have the attention he needs.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Life isn't free - so I don't feel asking $100/month is alot for a partboard.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I am going to leave the ad up - and just see what happens.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Thanks for your input eyerbody.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsemad! » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In my experience, people who want their horses to get the attention and saddle time they deserve offer the horse up for free part boarding.&nbsp; I've ridden many horses whose owner's didn't have the time for them as a #ed_op#U#ed_cl#favour#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# to the owners... I've never paid anything and have had full use of the horses.&nbsp; Even now that I have my own eejits at home, I'm still riding a friend's&nbsp;horse a&nbsp;couple of times a week... again as a favour to my friend and to the horse who grew to love me before I bought my own boys.&nbsp; I guess it's a different story if you need the money to help pay board, but in my experience people who are looking for ponies are usually looking for them for their kids and won't want to pay for their kid to ride a greenie.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:55 am

~Cnigh~ wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Neither actually.&nbsp; Just want him to have the attention he needs.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Life isn't free - so I don't feel asking $100/month is alot for a partboard.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For a teenager, it might be...especially for a green horse that needs training...at a facility that has no indoor arena.&nbsp; When I had Dali up for sale, I actually *paid* someone to ride/train him for me versus expecting them to pay me.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#See what bites you get at $100/month but if you get nothing, you might want to offer up a free part-board, just to get him ridden.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:29 am

~Cnigh~ wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Life isn't free #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lol, I guess it was for me.&nbsp; I rode greenies for 10+ years for backyard type horse owners and it varied from&nbsp;being free to me getting paid.&nbsp; I never would have paid a cent, (nor would I now) to ride a greenie since there are so many free opportunities out there.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And last year, when I did have a greenie to sell that I wasn't riding enough, I did pay for someone to ride him (just like chenders).&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not to say that your deal is bad or anything!&nbsp; But I agree with chenders.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Experienced riders know that they can find greenies to ride for free.&nbsp; And although I too find the 'big horse' craze a little silly, that's another thing that won't be as appealing to an experienced rider.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would also think that offering him as a free partboard would solicit more interest.&nbsp; JMHO ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Just what can Hunter do? can he w/t/c under saddle without a problem? can he do a simple lead change? How old is he and has he ever jumped? Even if he can just do w/t/c simple change, i would seriously consider taking the 'green' part out. Maybe reword it to something like "willing and able mount, ready to advance to jumping or higher skills with the right rider" ...that just sounds a lot more open to me. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I mean harvey who is 3.5 now, can w/t/c without issue and is even offering flying lead changes (should she pick up the wrong lead, she will switch on her own in the corner) so i am trying to think of it in the terms of if i were to ever offer her to part board; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#because of her age i wouldn't mention anything about jumping, but i would not say she's green (becasue of her current abilities), i'd mention "Excellent ground manners, trained with natural horsemanship methods, she's sane (since she is not 100% bomb proof but very little bothers her) very forward and willing, interested in new things, safe for hacking on her own and with groups, she will bathe, cross tie, ground tie, trailer without incident and has been very successful u/s in schooling shows, ready to take the next rider on to trillium or to please an intermediate rider with reliable ring and hacking work." Really try to build him up in a positive light, and i think&nbsp; you will get more interest. From there you can weed out rank beginners, or even mention that he would suit an intermediate or experienced rider who is comfortable with horses, based on his&nbsp;age alone.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dee22 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm, SP, I don't know, I would still consider Harvey very green... when I sold Mopar as a 6 year old he could jump a 3'6" course complete with lead changes and I still advertised him as 'green'... he could also jump 4'9" (not a whole course at that point),&nbsp;he *could* do it but he still needed a lot of polishing and help along the way... therfore he was 'green'#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The reason Harvey is probably switching her lead on corners if she's on the wrong lead is most likely because she feels unbalanced and changing her lead over in a corner balances her out.... (which I'm not saying is a bad thing, just that I wouldn't say she 'does lead changes' because of that... she's just smart ;) )#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I just prefer, when dealing with horses (especially a green&nbsp;horse a young rider will most likely be handling) to be completly honest... JMHO ;) :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling