Selling saddles on EC

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Selling saddles on EC

Postby Clio » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:56 pm

I have a saddle that I want to sell without having to go through a store (thereby avoiding the commission), but wonder how it works, exactly. At a store, you can try out the saddle by leaving a credit card slip, but that wouldn't work in a private sale. But it seems only fair that people should have the option to try out the saddle first. Do I have to take it to them (which also seems a bit silly--I don't have time to drive all over the place)? Do they leave some sort of collateral (and if so, what)? Do they pay for it with the option of getting their money back if it doesn't fit?

Help! I'm completely stymied! :?
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Embiem3 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm Im looking for a CC saddle.... e-mail me if thats what your selling...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Embiem3@aol.com#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby Clio » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:20 pm

you've got mail!
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

advice on buying & selling

Postby tackforu » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You have outlined most of the problems with trying to sell saddles privately, thats why some stores specialize in selling only pre-owned saddles, visit #ed_op#A href="http://www.thetackconnection.com"#ed_cl#www.thetackconnection.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# we only charge 15% commission#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Dee22 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi Clio;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I was selling my saddles I told people they were more than welcome to try it out. If it was someone close by I offered to meet them half way and I would let them try it out in exchange for a cheque for the full amount of the saddle that I would hold onto for a couple of days while they tried the saddle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sometimes people came right to my house to pick the saddle up, other times I met them half way (if not too far).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For someone further away I told them to mail me their cheque. When I got the cheque I sent them the saddle to try on condition that if they didn't like it they would have to pay for shipping the saddle back to me and I would not mail their cheque back until I got my saddle back. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My one saddle ended up going all the way to BC (and sold) :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found that everyone I dealt with was very honest, most people are, just watch out for e-mails that sound suspicious, like scammers... e-mails where the buyer asks to send more money for the item than your asking and send the differnce back to them in cash, or e-mails with very bad grammer and that don't refer to your item... ie: "I would like to buy this item"... most people would refere to your item as a "saddle", and ask questions about it....#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The lady in BC that bought my saddle dealt with me over the phone, her daughter e-mailed me first asking questions about the saddle, than the mother called me directly so I knew it was a pretty safe bet.... funny, I got people chatting with me and e-mailing me pics of their horses etc. LOL....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Two thumbs up for The Tack Connection.  They have sold a lot of tack for me!  Beat Greenhawk down the street asks a wopping 30% commission.......  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Embiem3 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
Clio wrote:you've got mail!
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# I never got it #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/2.gif"#ed_cl#... You can PM me or I guess you could try e-mailing again.. I dont know why the first one didnt work.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Embiem3@aol.com#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby Clio » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:23 pm

Thanks everyone!

Dee22--those are great suggestions (and it actually sounds like a lot of fun talking with all of those people).

Tackforu--if my attempts at selling it personally don't work out, I'll definitely try your store; 15% is much better than the 25% I was finding at most places (30% at Greenhawk on the Ave! Wow!). I've heard good things about your place from a former coach who helped her students get saddles.

Embiem--we did end up emailing, so I assume that the problem is solved, right?

Cheers everyone! :D
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Moxy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Clio -- could you please email me as well with the info about your saddle?  I'm looking for one as well -- my email is #ed_op#A href="mailto:jakki_18@hotmail.com"#ed_cl#jakki_18@hotmail.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Moxy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Clio » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:40 pm

Moxy--I've emailed you!
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Try Ebay.com

Postby Char0308 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try Ebay.com, just be sure you have at least one good digital picture you can put up with the ad and fully describe the saddle size, make, model ,age, and scuffs, etc.  I have sold 3 saddles this way over the last 3 years.  No trials necessary if you describe everything fully and honestly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Char0308
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:02 pm

Thanks Char, I'll consider ebay as well (though I unfortunately don't know the age or the model of the saddle).
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling