Board price

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Board price

Postby zooka » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am just curious what people would think would be a reasonable board price.  Say the barn has an indoor heated arena that would fit a 20X40 ring. an outdoor arena many paddocks lots of acres of trails.  Lounge, tackroom, 20 stalls and a wash stall.  With individual feeding program and daily turnout.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just want to get an idea of what would be a reasonable price for the Ottawa area.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Positively4thStreet » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Around here it would probably be anywhere from $450 to $750 (which seems a little much for me, but one of the barns I worked at had it at $750-- one indoor (not heated, but it was huge) and one outdoor arena, heated barn, wash stall, customized feeding, etc. but, it included a training fee, as well.)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All depends, I suppose. Might be more expensive in Ottawa, I have no idea.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Lix » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally (and I really mean #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#personally#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#) I would not be willing to pay more than 400$ to board my horse at a barn even if the stalls were made of gold, lol.  I have nothing against people who do, because I know in some areas, you just don't have a choice.  But for me, being mostly a pleasure rider, I could just not justify that to myself.  I would start feeling ripped off over 400$.  I understand that people don't make money off of board and I realize all the hardships involved for a barn owner.  But I just wouldn't be able to get myself to spend that much money on boarding my horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The barn I board at has fantastic facilites and the price is very reasonnable so I'm more than happy with that (thank heavens cause I don't think I can afford much more than what I pay, lol)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for your question however, with what you described, I would still say somewhere around 400$.  (maybe 450$ but not more than that)  Depends on what you want though.  If that particular barn has a special feature that you are really looking for and that is hard to find, and you are willing to spend more for it, than go ahead. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd say in the Ottawa area prices can get 'up there'.  Specially the barns that are closer to the city.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Lix on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lix

Postby Pony Hunter » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well it depends on the barns rep, the coaches at the barn, is it a  show barn?, location, etc. Usally the board prices around here are $250-550 #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby zooka » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the help guys.  I just have a friend who is looking at what people are willing to pay and I said I would help her out since i am a member on this board now.  As for type of barn it would be a bit of everything some people show and others just ride for pleasure.  There would be a level one coach working for level 2 and then possibly a higher level coach coming in once a month for the more serious riders.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Keetee » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:31 pm

From what you describe I would say that around Ottawa that type of
facility would run somewhere between $300-$500.  The reason for
the big range is that there are many factors that affect price. 
Quality of care (meaning individualized everything and anything:
feeding, blanketing, booting, turnout, medical care, etc.), experience
and reputation of staff, proximity to the city, reputation  of the
coach/trainer, access to arena/ring, quality of footing, access to
jumps/cross country/properly sized dressage ring, quality of fencing,
are just a few of the factors that affect price.  Figure out costs
versus what would need to be charged to make a living, looking at both
only filling some stalls to filling all of them.  If the price
starts out reasonable relative to facilities and experience of staff,
the price can always be raised in reasonable increments as improvements
are made to the facility or costs go up.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You can look prices up on alot of websites if you want to look
around.  Keep in mind that reputation of the facility/trainer are
also factors in price and is something that is assessed by each
individual.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Raintrap » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keetee is basically correct, though I think you can even bump the upper range up a little depending on the quality of the facilities/upkeep, level of care, other services etc etc etc#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Raintrap

Postby annie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can get good care on outdoor for around 300 and indoor for 450.  Much less than that and they have to be skimping somewhere.  My coach did a breakdown for me - she charges 450 and with the cost of hay, shavings, electricity, grain she doesn't clear 50$ a month /horse.  Of course it all depends what you're looking for.  I know a lot of people who don't seem to care that a stall has more floor than shavings.  As for a heated arena, and I don't know of anywhere that has one with board under 600, but I am not aware of all of the facilities.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The satisfaction of helping another human being is all the thanks I et cetera. - Homer
annie
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks annie that was a very helpful breakdown of things for me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Keetee » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:15 pm

There are still excellent facilities around that have heated arenas for
less than $500/mo and those without heated arenas for less than
$450/mo.  Cost to the owner also depends on whether or not they
are carrying a mortgage, take hay off their own fields, have large
facilities and have to hire lots of extra help, etc. Costs vary so much
by the individual situation that it is impossible to generalize.  
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Trufflemaker » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The barn I board at sounds a lot like the one you describe, and is in the Ottawa area. Board is $475 and includes supplements, blanketing, etc. No lessons though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling