Costs of a horse

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Costs of a horse

Postby sydney » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:20 pm

#ed_op#span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman";"#ed_cl#Hi Everyone - I wanted to thank you for some
earlier advice on horse show divisions. Unfortunately, I did miss my show as
the horse I lease has been lame but maybe by the end of the summer I'll be back
again.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Anyway, I'm looking for information on how much a horse costs.  All
inclusive board at the stable I'm looking at is $400 (turn out, feed, stalls).
But on top of that how much should I be looking to budget? I'm considering
purchasing either a quarter horse or a thoroughbredXclyde#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
finally, in terms of soundness, is a taller horse more susceptible to arthritis
or other types of lameness? The Quarter horse is about 15.2 hands where as the
thoroughbredX is 17.1#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
This would be a first horse and I'm not rushing into it. Any advice is appreciated.#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
sydney
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is not so much the price of the horse but the upkeep.  Keep in mind you must buy tack.  I don't skimp on the saddle as it is your most impotant piece of equipment, bridle, tack box filled with all the goodies to keep him looking good.  Take into consider farrier work every 6-8 weeks.  Your horse may also need shoes...Plus regular veterinary care/shots.  You may also want to consider lessons if you plan on showing...so you see it can get expensive.  Budget wisely...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pony Hunter » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remember showing will cost you a bit too. Entry fees, coaching, trailering, show tack, OEF memberships, passport if you want to do trillium, etc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Keetee » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:16 am

Costs are very variable with your goals, type and age of horse. 
If your goals are to compete, you will have lesson, training and show
costs (incl. trailering if you don't own your own truck and
trailer).  As Patricia said, you will have some large up front
costs such as tack, blankets, boots, etc. and although the hope is that
you buy these items and they last for several years, it is also
possible that your horse changes shape and you have to buy a new saddle
or your horse is a blanket ripper and you have to replace blankets
every year (you can buy tougher ones if this is the case but they are
also more expensive).  For basic care you will have farrier and
vet costs.  These are also hugely variable depending on if your
horse needs shoes (from regular shoes jst in the front to special shoes
to deal with various problems to shoes with corks for show
jumping/eventing) or just trimming.  For vet care you may only
require basic vaccinations and care some years whereas others your
horse could get sick or hurt itself so that your vet costs go up. 
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
In terms of taller versus smaller for arthritis, alot depends on
whether or not the horse is well put together.  A horse with bad
conformation is more likely to have soundness problems, regardless of
size.  A vet check with x-rays is important.  A vet will give
you some idea of problems that could crop up due to conformation but a
good indicator is if the horse is working at the level you want to work
at, and has been doing this for several years, then it is likely
ok.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If you need to keep costs low, it might be best to try and buy a horse
that is low maintenance, i.e. doesn't require supplements, shoes,
doesn't have allergies, has a clean vet check (or close to it), is an
easy keeper and so is unlikely to require tons of blankets, is
competing/riding at the level you want to ride at, and has the
temperament and training that you won't need a ton of lessons and/or
training.  Horse ownership is definitely a financial burden but it
is also worth the sacrifice.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok so you are going to be paying 400$/ month for board... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#some other costs are: #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- farrier fees: #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#25$ for just a trim#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#75 and up for all 4 feet shod#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- annual shots approximately 150-300 depending on all you get and if you get coggins tests ect. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- dental: roughly around 60$ and up depending.. some horses need to be done once a year some less often. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- Lessons: approximately 30$ and up depending#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- showing costs, trailering ect... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Worming a few times a year, approximately 16$ per wormer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Plus all your tack and equipment which can easily add up to 2000$ and more depending on what you are going to be doing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The height/size of a horse does not mean anything in regards to artheritis. It is mainly as keetee said the way the horse is put together, the way they are used and looked after ect. If the horse is looked after well all its life and ridden or worked properly it should not be as likely to get artheritis... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ever notice how so many arabs get artheritis? Ive always wondered why it turns up in them so often. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Embiem3 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll give you  a run down on what my boy costs me per month...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Board- $375\month#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ind. Turnout- $50\month#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Special feed(dont like the barns feed)- around $100\month#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Vitamins and minerals-Around $50\month#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Vet- atleast $500 a year, maybe more if your horse gets hurt etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wroming every 2 months-$20#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Farrier- $100-$150 every 6 weeks for 2 front shoes(cheaper for a reset) and a trim#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lessons-$150ish a month or $50 per week#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Saddle-$4000 ( they start at around $100 for a cheap one and all the way up to $6000 for a custom one)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bridle,polos,boots,brushs,blankets- Around $400#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling