must I give my horse away- would he be valued?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

must I give my horse away- would he be valued?

Postby neyfi » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm wondering if I will be forced to give away my horse... there seems to be a flooded market for horses like this.  He is a thoroughbred gelding of 13 years.  this horse has not done much of anything but look very pretty in my field.  He is not a mean horse, just has those thoroughbred moments.  He is sound and healthy but must be kept shod as he will developed cracks in his hooves...again I think it is a tb thing.  I suppose he is worth more to me gone as I will no longer have the feed and farrier bills, but how does one go about giving away a horse?  I feel that people value something more if they have paid for it, or do you think the chances that I can find him a kind and compotent owner are worth giving him away?  Any comments please.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
neyfi
Newbies
Newbies

Re: must I give my horse away- would he be valued?

Postby Positively4thStreet » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can he be ridden? Is he sound? Is he off the track? Is he registered? If so, what is his pedigree (although it matters less for a gelding)? Has he been broken at all? Does he clip, bathe, tie, trailer, etc.? Have you freejumped him? What does he look like? Do you have any pictures of him?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If he's been ridden, but still has those "thoroughbred moments", try advertising to the "experienced rider" or someone looking for a project horse. If you've freejumped him, add that he may have talent over fences. If he's registered, add that. If he has a good pedigree with big TB names, add those in. Add the fact that he's in good health and you haven't had any major problems in the past (unless you have). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With a little more information, I'm sure one of us could type up a nice ad you can put up, chances are you can still sell him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol, if hes sound you can give him away to me. jk... seriously... more info#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Originalpearmare » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena - If you don't take him - I'll offer my services! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another option you may want to consider is a trainer. I realize you really don't want to invest any more money into this guy, but depending on what he's done it could be a great feature for you. Perhaps offer him out on a free lease to an experienced rider with experience with ottbs. If you'd like, if I ever get enough room and can convince my mother (Shelley if you'd like to see her knowledge on OTTBs/TBs by searching) I'd offer him a great place....See what we could work out! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pm me if you'd like!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#IMO - Do you have to give him away? No. Are people still giving guys/gals like him away? Yes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#~OPM#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes the good gets disguised.
Originalpearmare
Newbies
Newbies

Postby neyfi » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for your replies...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I find it hard to not disclose all the faults of this horse to anyone that inquires. This is probably why I haven't sold him even thought he is priced at only $2000.  I'm I too honest?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Lets see about his good points... 16.3 hh, related to Seattle Slew (no papers).  Fairly good at flatwork, can work in a frame when fit, previous owner could do flying lead changes on him though not polished.  Can be turned out with others. Cross ties and single ties.  Not often spooked (dosen't spin when he is).  Will push his head into his halter and bridle for you. Very healthy... and never worked hard enough to be unsound.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why I think I may need to give him away... weaves when it is supper time. Poor foot quality. Has sat around for the last few years. Big eater.  Recommend he receive biotin. Can get excited under saddle while on the road ( probably managable for the experienced rider.) Not perfect for the farrier.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
neyfi
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Originalpearmare » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sorry double #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes the good gets disguised.
Originalpearmare
Newbies
Newbies

Postby 2dapoint » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, you've tried to be honest and unbiased - kudos to you.  Few owners can (or will try so hard).  His feet *can* be a huge issue.  Or, they can not.  Depends on the person dealing with it.  I don't know that I'd call it a TB issue because not all tbs have feet that have problems.  Granted, many do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's 16.3.  That's a selling feature for someone comfortable enough to ride a tall horse.  Coupled with not being schooled to a level to take advantage of that height , maybe not.  For someone who is a little uncertain of their own abilities, that's a little further off the ground and a whole lot more horse than they may wish to cope with.  But then there is the prestige factor.  "My horse is 16.3"  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#13 years old isn't a bad age - if they've done something.  Getting a green (essentially he is) 13 year old is another story.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No papers is an issue.  How do you prove his age?  maybe he's actually 18!  (just giving you the opposing view.  I do know how to go about checking from a tatoo)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Weaving, can indeed be an issue.  The fact that it only occurs at feeding time makes it less so.  But it is still a vice.  It can still have an impact on joints and is still a PITA to see!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Related to Seattle Slew.  Sorry - so what.  You're not racing him, he's a gelding, his bloodlines just don't matter.  Now, some sires are known as sporthorse sires.  Slew, so far isn't a HUGE producer of them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Never worked hard enough to be unsound.  there is a big Oh? right there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not that he has never been unsound - only that he hasn't had enough work to test his limits.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Big eater.  There are ways and means to fix this.  Seriously.  It may not, but some of those are sure worth checking out.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good in turn out.  This is very good!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ties - excellent!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#easy to tack.  good.  Easily trained into him if he isn't though. So, still a good point, but one easily fixed if not already there#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"Fairly good at flatwork" - the catch in there is the "fairly".  What is it that is the catch that keeps him from being "good on the flat"?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Doesn't spin when spooked.  Good. But.  What DOES he do?  There are things more dangerous than a spin...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's off the track and not always great for the farrier?  why not?!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#MOST horses should be manageable for an experienced rider.  What is it he does that makes you add that qualification? (besides you being honest to a fault? thankyou it is nice to see!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All in all, he doesn't sound like a lost cause - but perhaps if you could place him with an experienced trainer?  On a commission deal?  or work something out with them?  Where there is a will, there is a way!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only qualification that I would add is to make sure that if you chose the trainer route, get one who is very experienced with OTTBs and the possible issues and reasons.  there is nothing worse than a trainer trying to strong arm a horse they see as being "bad" when that horse is doing what he understands to be correct - a conflict of views if you will!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, if you do decide that giving away is your best bet - it appears you've got a growing list of saviours! (I'll volunteer too) lol! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Positively4thStreet » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:00 pm

Shelley wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's off the track and not always great for the farrier?  why not?!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#When did she say he was off the track? If he isn't, that could be a good selling point, by the way...#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby neyfi » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#everyone has given some great advise on how to market and how to improve this horse.  Thank you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shelley... yes he has a tattoo so I am sure of his age... for about $50 am. a pedigree could be produced. I believe they only get the tattoo when they begin their training for the track from what I heard, he never raced but who knows for sure.  I mention what I was told about S.Slew because I believe he looks like him... might help for you all to picture what he is like.  OK and I'll grant it that he is good at flat work...If a horse can do a flying lead change then he should be considered good..... Maybe I'm being too hard on him. Maybe it's more a reflection on my own abilities and not really his.      No, he is not perfect but then is there any such thing as a perfect horse?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Advise re: a trainer is well taken.  Has anyone experience with Parelli's system and if they used it on this type of a horse?  I would consider only the kindest trainer.  Only ones in my area are QH and  Parelli.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
neyfi
Newbies
Newbies

Postby 2dapoint » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good point, she didn't say that he was.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I still ask "why not" as to the farrier!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And being a good selling point?  About what? not having been to the track?  or not being good for the farrier?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think waaay too many people start making assumptions about track life and the rigours - and how many times have I seen this in an ad:  "never raced"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#of course, they leave out that the horse trained for the races, had the same potential for damages, and in fact was either too slow, didn't handle the training well, or broke down.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really wish more people would get educated about why "ottbs" are apparently something to steer clear of, then concern themselves with the individual issues of each particular horse#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#anyways, my apologies for the assumption#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#13 and still done "nothing" is not necessarily a selling feature - sorry#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Positively4thStreet » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I don't really know about the farrier either-- maybe there's some underlying issue, although the farrier would've picked it up (hopefully) if it was something physical. Maybe he just had some bad experience with a farrier that needs to be worked with.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good selling point by not being raced-- and yeah, I know, each horse has its own problems, and OTTBs have a bad name, yadda yadda-- but since people ARE uneducated, it WOULD be a good selling point, because they don't know any better. Might as well use people's ignorance rather than waste it, right?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:39 pm

#ed_op#span style="color: rgb(0, 96, 191);"#ed_cl#Good luck in selling your horse.
I just wanted to add to the Parelli question you mentioned. While i
have not done *just* parelli, i have done a lot of natural horsemanship
and practice it regularily with both of my horses and a couple at the
barn where I am right now. Let me say, i've got the most amazing and
well mannered 3yo filly and I contribute a huge part of it to the
natural horsemanship methods I've learned. Also my first horse was a
PITA when i first got him because he didn't know better. I shed more
tears over that poor fellow then i could ever count. Once i went to an
NH clinic though, within 3 days i had a new horse. If it weren't for
that clinic and meeting who i did there, lord knows where either of us
would be. So yes, big successes from me with that. I wouldn't opt for #ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(0, 96, 191);"#ed_cl#giving #ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="color: rgb(0, 96, 191);"#ed_cl#him
away yet ....but as you see there are a LOT of people who would love a
free horse and give them an awesome home, so if it came to that, i
don't think you'd have any worries.  :) Good luck.#ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I sold (in May) a 13yo TB that sounds VERY similar to yours.  Mine also had not done much and was off the track, and had a vice (cribbing).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One thing I learned was to accentuate the positives of my horse.  It's really easy for us to focus on all the negatives.  Yes, my horse definitely had negatives but he had a LOT of positives too.  I did NOT highlight his negatives when people enquired about him.  In your ads, focus on the GOOD things about your horse.  Here is the ad I used for my horse:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Forum6/HTML/012308.html"#ed_cl#http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Forum6/HTML/012308.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You said that your horse's flat-work is good.  How is his movement?  Would he be suitable as a dressage horse?  Has he done any jumping?  I was training my TB for dressage but it was a H/J rider who purchased him.  My horse hadn't done much jumping but he was about as bombproof as a horse can be (not spooky at all).  We popped him over some low jumps and he was 'ho-hum' about it.  The buyer felt that she could finish his training, so she bought him.  I sold him for $2,500.00 which I felt was a reasonable price for him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I definitely do not think that you need to give your horse away!!  Someone is out there who would probably love to have him.  A 16yo horse-crazy girl bought my TB as her first horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also would second the idea of getting training put on yours.  I put my horse into full-time training in February and he came such a long way in a very short time!!  TBs are very athletic, they loooove to work, and usually pick things up very quickly.  I'd definitely look around for someone who can ride your horse and get him going quietly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you want any more info about my experiences with my TB, feel free to PM me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Theres been some great suggestions here... And I saw pics of Chenders horse when she had it for sale. Very nice. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to help an old coach getting TBS right from the track to re-sell. They are not as hard as everything makes them out to be. Yes, they have tb moments, and each one may have some little quirk, but they are not as high strung as some people like to think. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Alot of TBS have hoof issues, mine is only part tb and she still has the crappy tb feet haha. They also usually have some weird vice like cribbing ect. Anyone who knows enough about tbs will realize this. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You could even probly find a home through one of us here hehe. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My coach might even be looking for a tb or know someone who is.. . She always buys them to re-train and sell. She is a very well-accomplished level 2 combined training coach... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling