What to do...Hard Decision...

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

What to do...Hard Decision...

Postby shady222 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#im in a bit of a predicament, as i went to a show last weekend and mentioned to my coach that i may be interested in selling my mare soon. She expressed interest in getting ahold of her and called me the next day to come and try a horse that she would be willing to trade with money attached for my mare. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Info on the horses #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#My mare:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Defiant Shadow or Shady#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#registered/papered#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Thoroughbred #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#mare#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#15hh#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#13 yrs#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#mahogany bay#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#i pony clubbed her to C1, jumped her 3'6, shown her in hacks and hunter classes, done dressage upto level 1 and shes been used as a school horse most of her life.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Her value i placed her at 5000 just because she doesnt have the movement or fanciness of a show horse to be worth more. #ed_op#P#ed_cl#My coaches Gelding:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Hasty (don't know his race name)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#im guessing registered as hes a retired race horse#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Thoroughbred#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Gelding#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#17hh#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#8 yrs#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#bay#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#hes green broke, was a racehorse till a month ago, isnt spooky though and walk/trots and canters nicely...no sign of race horse in him...my coach says he should be a nice hunter and a hack champion. #ed_op#P#ed_cl#The pros and cons i have come up with for each horse is:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Shady #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Pros- im attached, can hop on her and do anything, anyone can ride her, cost is deducted, large sum of money i have never been offered before for this mare. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#cons- she needs glucosamine and msm, shes not very showy, i don't get to ride her much, shes getting borring. #ed_op#P#ed_cl#Gelding#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Pros- he would be easier to sell when i go to college, if i needed to. Showy/worth more, challenge, might be able to try jumpers with him. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#cons- i would have to start all over, i would need to buy some new tack, wont have as many people willing to ride him. #ed_op#P#ed_cl#What do you all think i should do?#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dee22 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm, that's a hard decision to make Shady... one thing that caught my eye though... you wrote in your cons for your mare that you don't get to ride her much, than what about this green gelding? If you can't ride much now, how will he get trained and have the time required, spent on him? Just something to think about ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Dee22 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pmc » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your coach would be getting the better end of the deal I think.  A perfect lesson horse, fully trained in exchange for a just-off-the track greenie?   And the extra money you'd get would probably all be spent on new tack.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But if it's a challenge you're after, I'd say go for it! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you do have the time to bring the gelding along and selling before university may be a factor then I would tend to lean towards doing the trade, but I would want your coach to cover the cost of a vet check first. If she had him vetted previous to buying him ask to see the report.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know you, Shady. And I know that at this point you need to progress with your skills. You've gotten everything you can out of Shady, aside from doing western.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For the most part I think the trade sounds pretty good, depending on how much money goes with Hasty. I don't think your coach is trying to cheat you or anything like that (I know her). But I know you can pick up an OTTB with similar attitude and abilities for rather cheap. Like less than half what you want for Shady. Granted it sounds like he has potential abilities. And I know you really want to show jump. If he has movement (please ask someone uninvolved in the trade, a third party who is knowledgable) that could make him more worth it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to do what's right for you. Either way you will be boarding two horses. Where you are now is a very cheap place to board. So I would not be concerned with getting other riders for him. But rather, whether or not he is the right horse for you right now. You definately need to move up in your riding, which is obvious because you say your mare is boring. Is this the right horse to move up to?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, make sure you get that vet check. Just in case. You never know. It takes quite a while to come down from being at the track. Problems that were invisible now may show up later, since racing can be hard on them, especially at our local track. The footing at are track is very hard on them. So is the common practice of racing them back to back (every weekend). Knowing the vet ok's him, especially for jumping, is very important.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is your decision. Do not let anyone else sway you. Go with what feels right for you and take a long, hard look at your future goals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling