buying a horse trailer? need advice!

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

buying a horse trailer? need advice!

Postby Ellie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am seriously thinking about buying a horse trailer to transport Ellie.  She is much happier going in a trailer without the center divider and as she  is a large pony I don't need to buy one of the extra high/wide kind that the warmblood folks must have.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So... I think I can probably find a decent used trailer at a good price.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can anyone give me some pointers about what to look for in a good used trailer?  Other than things like good tires, the lights working and no holes in the floor I don't know what else to look at.  I know that the horse trailers have to have a regular safety inspection, (annually I think) but what is actually inspected?  Who is authorized to do the trailer inspection?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ellie

Postby Sodapoppers » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I think there is a weight stippulation that says if you *have* to have the truck and trailer saftied every year. The weight limit combines both the truck and trailer weight. Someone correct me if i'm wrong...My trailer still gets checked out montly but that's by my dad who knows what he is doing. We looked at a couple used trailers before we got the one we have now. The biggest thing is the frame; almost every trailer we looked at (older and used of course) had a bad frame, or one going bad, to the point of holes in the bars. Be sure to check the undercarriage and the tongue of the trailer. We brought a hammer and if possible went underneath the trailer and tapped at the frame. A couple opened right up and revealed holes....scary man! I also (personally) i like a more open trailer. So i like ones with a few windows and large doors. I've heard that a lot of the older trailers travel like tin cans and can be *too* light. You will have to decide for yourself. The farthest I go with my trailer is about 45 mins so the horses just put up with it until i can get my stock one :D   Trailer shopping is exciting :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All horse trailers mus be inspected every year (yellow sticker) so if the trailer that you are looking at does not have one from the past year don't buy it. What kind of vehicle do you plan on using for towing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ellie » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi Piaffing,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My husband has a new GMC Jimmy with the capability of towing up to 5400 lbs.  I have been told that this will be ok to tow a regular sized 2 horse trailer or small stock trailer with only 1 horse.  As Ellie is a large pony, and we will not travel very far - avg 45 minutes to a show, I think we will be ok.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What exactly is involved in the safety check?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can it be done by a regular garage mechanic or do you have to go to a special "trailer" mechanic?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ellie

Postby Sodapoppers » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:57 pm

Piaffing wrote:<DIV>All horse trailers mus be inspected every year (yellow sticker) so if the trailer that you are looking at does not have one from the past year don't buy it. What kind of vehicle do you plan on using for towing?</DIV>

This isn't true...When i went and registered mine into my name i asked them if i have to do a safety on it. And they said no...it had something to do with the weight between the truck and the trailer combined.
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling