Selling horses Internationally -->

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Selling horses Internationally -->

Postby Dream_Merchant » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#Hello all from down under in Australia!    #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/21.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I'm trying to break into the international market with Showjumpers - I've adverstised on EC and also a heap of other sites without much success. I've sold horses in Australia, but I would like to break into that International market and really expanse the buyer audience - also, the market in Aussie is really in a slump when it comes to buyers.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Any suggestions on how I can break into America and Canada and so on??#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I've kept prices at a reasonable rate, keeping into consideration the price of shipping them overseas, quarentine, taxes and so forth, but still no luck! I sell both Warmbloods and Thoroughbreds, ranging from Grand Prix Showjumpers to foals. At the moment I only have a handful for sale at different levels. I'm a trainer and breeder of horses, and I'm really just finding with the international market.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#So any suggestions, or even if you know of any contacts I could get in touch with to help me, would be absolutely fantastic!!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#You can post here, or even email me - #ed_op#A href="mailto:Lloyd.familytrust@bigpond.com.au"#ed_cl#Lloyd.familytrust@bigpond.com.au#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Thanks so much in advance guys! Love EC by the way!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby zooka » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#is there any way tha you could bring some of the horses over to North America to show?&nbsp; People like to see what they are getting.&nbsp; It would also be useful to have the help of a well known show jumper who could reccomend your horses.&nbsp; As you say with shipping and quarentine costs people like to look in North America first.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dream_Merchant » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#609a9f size=2#ed_cl#Thanks - do you know of anyone that would be interested in helping? Or any names that you would trust to help you buy a Showjumper internationally? I would include a commission for the person, a percentage type of thing for their services to help sell the horse.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I'm not that well financially backed to fly a horse over to the States and compete on him to show the public what the horse is etc etc. Plus, there is always the huge risk that noone will want to purchase him - which means I have to either drop his price and loose money on him and not cover costs for getting him over there etc, or fly him back home, which I simply can't afford to do at the moment.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#If I could get in contact with someone and send them video's galore of the horses to give them an idea of what they might be after, then it might help me along. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

Dream_Merchant

Postby Lix » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi DM!&nbsp; I am by far no expert in showing or in international sales&nbsp;- however - I would assume the following to be factors on why your efforts have yet to be fruitful:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- The market in Canada (for the most part) is also very slow.&nbsp; There is a surplus of horses -&nbsp;one can find a great deal within the country (and even province) if they look hard enough.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- People are afraid of risk (which comes back to what Zooka said).&nbsp; SInce there are so many horses to choose from here, people are leary to make a purchase overseas and pay shipping, etc without seeing the horse#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- Most people who *are* looking to buy overseas automatically look in Europe.&nbsp; That's the trend right now and people love to say that they own a German import.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not saying your horses are not of the same caliber. I've seen pictures and they look phenomenal!&nbsp; It's too bad you are not getting more response locally!&nbsp; Just pointing out what may be hindering all those efforts.&nbsp;;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck though and keep us updated!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:57 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
Thanks Lix -- it's been quite hard, and I've come to realise that it is due to most of the reasons you listed below. I really need to get in contact with someone that can help me along over in Canada and the US, someone who really knows the market and is a trusted person in the market and the Showjumping scene over there. Problem is, I don't know anyone over there, and they do not know me. Maybe if I was an international rider, then I would have some creditation behind me -- however, I shall keep trying, you never know. I only have a handful for sale now, it just would be nice to see them go to a super competition home overseas where the jumping circuits are so much bigger and more fruitful for you guys over there. I can only imagine what it must be like jumping at Spruce Meadows and places like that!!! *drools* I can dream I suppose, one day maybe!

You've obivously seen the pictures of mine for sale then! lol Thank you very much, it's good to see that the pictures are good of them then. I'll keep trying, and I'll you know what happens. Thanks again!!</i></font>

Dream_Merchant

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling