How to price an OTTB?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

How to price an OTTB?

Postby shady222 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i have been thinking of trading my horse..as posted below and have seriously considered it, but now i also have someone interested in purchasing my horse for money. So if i were to make an offer on the tb how do i determine what is reasonable?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She has him priced at 3300 and he basically w/t/c 's and has a good head on his shoulders and loads, clips, bathes ties those kinds of things...i would say he is green but a real looker and 17hh...How do you price your horses? this would also help in pricing my experienced mare. I have her @ 5000 and have heard both sides, too high and too low. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dream_Merchant » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#609a9f size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#You would probably have to post a little more information Shady -- I'm from Aussie so the market is totally different for me down here than for you up there...  What sort of work have you done with the TB and your expirenced mare?? Do they jump, do they hack out ok alone and with a group? What sort of dressage training have they have, or flatwork training?  Any past history of lameness problems or anything like that? Have either of them competed at all?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#If you let people here at EC know those sort of things, they will be able to give you a better idea of your price ranges.#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby Rio Roulette » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sometimes I wish there was a blue book for horses. But alas, there isn't.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The market on horses is not a fixed target. The biggest factor is supply and demand. Normally there are more horses available than there are buyers. The one for $3,300 for what you've described, would not be on the market for long here in Ontario. Big horses with a good mind and a good start seem to be very popular. I have found that people are either negotiable on the price (good homes will get a 'deal') or they know they have underpriced the horse for their area and are going to hold firm on the price. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ask up front "Is there any wiggle room on the price?". I have bought horses where I have paid the asking price but had them throw in something else - like the transport. Others where the answer has been "price is firm", but I got a deal anyway because the horse was up for a 'quick sale' and underpriced. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I go about horse buying with a maximum amount that I'm willing to spend, and factors that I will not budge on. The vetting outcome can affect the price. If there is something wrong with the horse, but something you can live with then there may be room to negotiate. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have seen several people pay WAY too much for horses. One comes to mind a $12,000 purchase = gelding with bone spurs. The buyer didn't even try to negotiate the price down after the x-ray vetting. What a dummy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The danger in overpricing, is that at some point you may have to "reduce the price". That always looks bad. The positive about overpricing is that some people think the price set is an indicator of quality and will pay the higher price!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's not pricing that's as important (IMO) as marketing. You can sell anything at any price if you can find the right buyer. That means being good at advertising and sales. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What can your mare do extrodinarily? When you price your horse you price it based on things your horse is very exceptional at doing. IE: if your horse does leg yeilds really crappy, your not going to say it does leg yeilds...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You play on the good things, not the bad. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#IMHO I think a OTTB that is well started in w/t/c and generally handling would be anywhere from 3000-6000.... To me, if the tb your looking at is that good, it is underpriced at 3300... It also depends on how much they payed for it...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What showing experience does your mare have? Registry? Ect... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby shady222 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well, my mare is very sane and been a school horse for a long time, i do hunters, hacks, dressage, eventing, pony club, hacking and almost anything that can be done with an english horse. I have taken her to some local shows and done reasonably well because she is soo steady and has a good mind. She is a good jumper always eager to go at the jumps and over jumps them with exuberance. Shes quiet even on hacks and over cross-country courses. She shows a lot of ability in jumping and dressage. We have shown to first level dressage and done some higher level movements, done x-c to 2'9, hunter/jumpers to 3'6. I have been told by some people that if they had the money or room for another horse they would pay 10 thousand. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And how old is she? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby shady222 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#shes 13#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmm... see thats cutting it a bit old, I know that she will most likely still have a few good years, but... For anyone seriously starting to get into either jumpers or eventing, they probly wouldnt want something that old. Sure it would be great for starting out, but by the time they start to advance, she will most likely be over 15... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And alot of TBS dont have a good track record of lasting to a very old age... Not saying all, just some. Heck I know of a tb gelding that is 21 and stll competing. But you dont se it often... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Who knows though, I dont know your horses... I just know what I would look for...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just curious, how the heck did 13 get to be old? For what you say she's done, her age is perfect at 13. If she was younger and had done all that i would worry that she'd been pushed to hard and could have problems. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have my 10 yr old 17+ hh TB gelding, Mouse priced at $3000 US right now. and while that is actually rather cheap, he is a looker with awesome gaits and a great brain, I will not sell to anyone that even considers jumping him because he had a bone chip removed yrs ago from one knee and heavy jumping could make him unsound. i made the promise of only doing dressage with him and i expect the same from any buyer. I've been told i can get more for him, but good dressage home is key for him...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pricing horses is a hard thing to do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#depending on the severity of the bone chip, there should be no reason he cant be jumped. The coach I sometimes get lessons from have several chips removed from her horses front knee and she is jumping near 4ft now with no trouble. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena had chips removed from her hock and she has no soundness issues with jumping either. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In eventing it is common to have horses that have had to have bone chips removed, beause so many of the horses eventing are OTTBs....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The point is, that a horse if it is used for higher level showing ect, is usually at its peak performance age&nbsp;bettween 10-12... Theres more posts about the age of this horse&nbsp;in another thread. I personally, if I was looking for something to either do show jumping or eventing with would not buy something that was 13 years old for 5000$ let alone 10,000..... But If it was something for a school horse or pony club mount 5000$ is an ok price. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling