Cribber - Affects Price

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

Cribber - Affects Price

Postby Foxie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If a horse cribs....will it be harder to sell later on and will it affect the sell price? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Arcadia » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#People are divided on this subject, some (like myself) don't particulary care if a horse cribs as long as it does it's chosen job, others think it's the devil and must be avoided or bought for rock bottom pricing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hopefully potential buyers are of the mindset that it doesn't bother them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it does to a certain extent.  It is considered a vice and vices do bring the price down a bit unfortunately.  There are so many horses on the market too so that makes things worse: people have alot of selection.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#However, I don't think cribbing is a big deal if it can be controlled with a collar.  I for one, would not consider #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#not#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# buying a horse just because it cribbed.  Hey, if the horse is what I'm looking for, I'll deal with the vice, it's not a big deal to me.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are you looking to buy or sell a cribber?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby babytigger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ask chenders...her TB which she recently sold was a cribber...she bought him & she sold him, so she knows both sides of the "to buy a cribber /to sell a cribber" equation.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lots of horses crib... I dont really think it should effect the price if the horse is good otherwise. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Horses usually crib out of boredom, or sometimes stress... So you should technically be able to break them off the habit if you can find the problem. You can also buy this spray called "fooey" which you spray on wood or whatever the horses is cribbing on and trust me... they wont be cribbing on whatever you spray that stuff on. It is the worst smelling/tasting stuff ever. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course there are cribbing collars too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lix - I'm looking to buy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The horse seems great in the ad but of course he cribbs! To me it's not a big deal(as long as it can be controlled). It becomes an issue when they destroy the stall and everything around them. I know some people won't touch a horse that cribbs, that's why I wanted to get some other people's inputs! If I do go with this guy...I'll remember "fooey"!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks to everyone#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Foxie, I asked this same question on Equiman before I bought Dali.  The responses were split pretty much 50/50 and ranged from people who said that if the horse was perfect in every way, they'd buy him, to those who said that they would never allow a cribber in their barn because "other horses pick up the habit" (which is a fallacy) or that they didn't want a horse who would destroy the barn.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that, as long as you're willing to take steps to ensure that the horse does not crib (whether that be by using a collar or spraying the wood surfaces with stuff that tastes awful) there is no reason to NOT purchase a cribber.  Cribbing does not affect their performance in ANY way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always kept a Miracle Collar on Dali and he didn't crib at all with it on.  The people I bought him from though, did not use a collar on him, and as a result, he was a couple hundred pounds underweight when I bought him.  You have to be resigned to take measures to prevent the cribbing.  A lot of people don't like to use collars on their horses because they feel that it's "cruel".  Dali never showed any indication at all that he found the collar to be uncomfortable.  I think that, like dogs who wear collars, he just got used to it being on.  The girl who bought him from me, also did not have a problem with the fact that Dali was a cribber.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, if you decide to purchase this horse, find out from the seller, whether he wears a collar or not and whether the collar works to control the cribbing.  I know of horses who will crib with a collar on, and you really don't want a horse like that.  Cribbing causes them to suck air, so they don't eat because they feel full, so they lose weight.  It also wears down their teeth.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And, definitely go with a Miracle Collar versus those metal nut-cracker types.  The Miracle Collar costs more but it works much better.  You can buy fleeces to go over the leather parts that rub.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#        #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:43 pm

Foxie wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lix - I'm looking to buy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The horse seems great in the ad but of course he cribbs! To me it's not a big deal(as long as it can be controlled). It#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#becomes an issue when they destroy the stall and everything around them. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Is this horse a cribber or a chewer, as they are two totally different vices.  Cribbing is annoying, but not really destructive to property, but wood chewing, can destroy a barn/fences in a matter of months.  One must also rmember that these vices are actually quite contagiuos.  Often other horses who are stalled/housed w/cribbers and chewers will pick up on the habit themselves!Just some food for thought.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Myself, if I had no other choice, I would maybe buy a cribber, but it would be my last choice, as the vice can be quite hard to stop (some horses don't respond w/collars), and it is never cured, it can be controlled, but once a cribber ALWAYS a cribber. It can also cause health problems later on in a horses life, such as ulcers. So, I tend to steer clear of cribbers, but that is JMO.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#k... If you buy fooey, you must hold it as far away from your body as possible, turn your face away from it and DONT breath while you are spraying it. Trust me... It doesn't smell but it sticks REALLY good to whatever it lands on and has the most horrible taste known to man kind... If you get it in your mouth you will be tasting fooey for days. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its actually meant for dogs or puppies I think to prevent them from chewing on things. But at a previous barn I was at they had to spray it all over this horses stall and himself. He was a psychotic arab stallion, I think he was schizophrenic, he would spin around in his stall and then bite himself until he had sores everywhere. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss wrote: #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#lots of horses crib... I dont really think it should effect the price if the horse is good otherwise. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Horses usually crib out of boredom, or sometimes stress... So you should technically be able to break them off the habit if you can find the problem.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#00407f#ed_cl#Unfortunately, it's not always quite this easy. Of course there are things you can do to alleviate the cribbing - giving them more hay to munch on, letting them spend more time outside, etc. But some horses just crib. It's been described as 'addictive' to horses, much as cigarettes is to us if you want (then again, I wouldn't know that feeling since I don't smoke). When horses crib, it releases endorphins, which in turn lessens their 'stress'. They have found that horses that crib are often stressed to begin with and this is their release. I've know several cribbers and some only crib on occasion and others will crib on anything they see. There was a horse I used to teach on - she was out 24/7 but she would crib on anything vertical - fence, plastic water trough, jump standards, anything. In her stall, - we put every gunk known to man kind (bitter end, tobasco, tar, etc.) on the edges and she would still brave the taste and crib. I even tried spraying her on the mouth with a water bottle every time I caught her but that didn't work either. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#00407f#ed_cl#Also, alot of people don't care about horses that crib, but usually it is more than just annoying. If you have a very chronic cribber (like the one I described), they will wear down the wood (not chew it but wear it down in the spot they crib all the time). Alot of barn owners are not keen on putting lots of products on the wood in the barn as many of them stain. Outdoors, it gets expensive since everything dilutes in the rain and you have to keep reapplying. Also, the horse's teeth can get very small in the front and it can cause problems with chewing, which in turn can cause a slew of digestive problems, etc. It is said that cribbers are harder to keep weight on and are more prone to colic etc. May or may not be true but small and uneven teeth, air in the stomach and high levels of stress can bring on lots of other ill effects. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#00407f#ed_cl#All this to say - if the cribber wasn't cribbing ALL the time, it wouldn't bother me. If the horse however, cribs on every vertical surface he lays eyes on then I would definitely get him/her looked over by a vet to assess his/her health before buying. ;)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but lix... have you tried fooey?   #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You might think im just saying that stuff, but if it can break an old stallion of self mutilation and every other kind of chewing or cribbing that hes done his whole life... It might just work. It took awhile for him to completely stop though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ditto on what Lix said. Its a case by case thing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Lix » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lol, xena, by the way you describe this Fooey stuff - it sounds pretty dang nasty!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I really like the name of it.  "Could I buy a bottle of Fooey please".  lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Seriously - you are right, it may work if it's that nasty and I can see how it may have worked on that crazy stallion you talk about.  The only problem with a chronic cribber is that it's not feasible to cover everything around them (specially not outside - too many surfaces, product will evaporate, etc.)  It could work for isolated incidents but it's a band aid solution in the end since it won't stop/solve the problem when it comes to a really bad cribber.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Man, I need to get that product for my dogs and 'fooeysize' my plants so they leave them alone! My boxers think they are giraffes! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Lix on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lix

Postby tbbrat » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Many, many years ago, in England, I knew a cribber who swallowed air by pressing his chin against things - not much point painting stuff on with him!  Another one, at Sagl's, (Ruth would remember Amorra) used to suck air by extending his neck and rolling his tongue - only when he was feeling stressed though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have never come across a horse that "learned" cribbing from another one.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmm I suppose your right... The stallion had limited turn out and it was in a pasture fence with electric fence. I didnt really like the stallion either... But I remember having to spray him down with that sick stuff haha. He was a complete wack job though haha, he was "rescued" from an arab breeding stable and is pretty famous apparently.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is a link for it in case anyone wants it... Im not sure where it can be bought in stores... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://petcarecentral.com/sy-00050.html"#ed_cl#http://petcarecentral.com/sy-00050.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is a cribber where I work and the lady put rubber matting around his stall, but I really think his problem is boredom based because they only go out max 3 hours a day. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Umm, yeah...3 hours of turnout a day could definitely produce a cribber!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Man, why do barns to this...lock horses in stalls for the majority of their lives and then wonder why they develop vices...or have "too much energy" when they go to ride them??  It's just so inhumane.  Horses are meant to live outside!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm working on getting Tequila outside 24/7.  Just waiting for a shelter to be put up and then she is OUT!!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya, well you know, they have to be in because the are those fancy show arabs... hehe... what a pile... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena is out 24/7 right now, I like having her in at night in the winter and on rough weather days though. She doesnt like bad weather haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, some of them are such "princesses", eh??  #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl#  Dali wasn't "hardy" enough either, to handle being outside 24/7, but Tequila is a good, stocky girl, who grows a thick winter coat, so she should have no problems.  She has lived outside before and did fine with it.  I think that she will be much happier and healthier, being outside all the time.  My biggest concern is respiratory problems.  Both of my previous horses had them, so I'm hoping to avoid that with Tequila.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She won't actually be outside ALL the time.  I'm keeping my stall and she'll be brought in around 4pm each day for her grain and to have a bit of a "nap" and then she'll go back outside around 8pm.  So, in for 4 hours each day.  If the weather is really horrible, she'll be brought in, to her stall.  I think it'll be ideal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, waaay off-topic here.  Back to the discussion on cribbing...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Completely unrelated...Chenders, when are we going to see some new pictures? ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=4#ed_cl#Well the first thing you need to know is the horse cribbing or wood chewing. There is a differance. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=4#ed_cl#Cribbing is when a horse swallows air. Some horses do this by grasping a stationary object, such as a fence board or post, with their upper teeth, then arching their necks and pulling usually making a grunting sound. If the horse is a cribber you would treat it differant than a wood chewer simply because a cribber will move to any other object to swallow the air.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=4#ed_cl#Wood chewing is when a horse actually bites and chews wood, destroying fences and barns. This is where using a nasty tasting substance will prevent it. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Arial size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.bitterlicks.com/"#ed_cl#http://www.bitterlicks.com/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Andy on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling