how much does age affect sale price?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

how much does age affect sale price?

Postby shady222 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just wondering what you guys think of age affecting sale price and how much it would affect it, saying a horse is worth more when its 10 then when its 13? i dont see much of a difference. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dream_Merchant » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:46 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><I>
It's not just age that affects the price, there is so many other things that can influence the price, eg:

A 10 year old that is jumping 4ft is more likely to see a little easier than a 13 year old jumping the same height -- mainly because its younger and most people see the 10 year as having a longer jumping life span than the 13 year old. If the 10 year old is jumping higher than the 13 year old, then that is another aspect that would definately drive them towards the 10 year old more -- he will jump longer in theory, and he is already jumping higher. However, if you have a 10 year that has 600 jumping points, then you know he has done a LOT of jumping, whereas if the 13 year old only has around 100 points, you know he hasn't jumped as much and therefore he may be the more desired mount. It really does depend on what people want, and what they are looking for and willing to pay etc etc...

Bit of a tough one to answer, sorry, but I hope that helped!</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby chenders01 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, from my experience of selling my 13yo TB, in the H/J world, 13 is considered to be "old".&nbsp; If you check out the classified sites, most people who are looking want something under the age of 10.&nbsp; Over that age, your selling price *does* drop because buyers figure that the horse only has a few good jumping years left in it.&nbsp; &nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're selling a dressage horse, buyers are more willing to accept an older horse...I guess because dressage is less stressful on the legs than jumping.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Clio » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Resale is also a factor, which people do take into account when considering buying a sport horse (if you want to remain competitive, then your horse has to be up to it).&nbsp; In fact, even a 10 year-old is going to be look at warily because after 3 good years, it becomes that 13 yr old that is even harder to sell.&nbsp; We'd all love to have those "forever" horses, but they're a luxury that those who wish to show can't always afford.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling