advice on auction buying?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

advice on auction buying?

Postby ridexc » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi everyone,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm working on an article for HorseCanada magazine, about buying horses at auction.  Looking for a few good tips, war stories, or cautionary tales!  If you have bought a horse or horses at an auction -- be it an operation like Barkey's, one of the Thoroughbred sales at Woodbine, or a big-ticket warmblood auction -- and would be willing to provide your perspective on how to make a successful purchase and not get taken, please contact me privately at #ed_op#A href="mailto:briggs@csolve.net"#ed_cl#briggs@csolve.net#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Karen Briggs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
ridexc
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Buying at an auction is risky but you can minimize that risk depending on the particular auction along with your knowledge of horses. Some high end auctions may have sellers sign affidavits declaring all vises. Vet may be on site to verify drug use etc. These sales are not so common these days as the price of horses is at an all time low. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I go to a sale I get there early and watch horses getting unloaded and talk to the sellers. You can get a feel for potential problems early on. Things to ask for an an example are 1) are there registration papers with the horse. 2) Training  3) medical history  etc. etc. A lot of the questions you ask can be similar to the question you ask when buying a horse privately. If  the seller is defensive stay away from that horse or any other they sell.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some other sales have people ride horse outside or in the sales arena. These are also horse to consider. Sale like the one in Kitchener are risky because it is more geared to meat sales. That's not to say you cant get a good riding horse, however you need to know a lot about what you are buying. If you don't know a lot about horses take someone with you that does. Check for signs of drugs as this is often used to calm a horse for the sale or hide lameness etc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling