How much should I be asking?

Get advice about buying or selling your horse, tack etc. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT PLACE CLASSIFIEDS HERE - USE THE EQUIMARKET

Moderator: EC

How much should I be asking?

Postby Hope03 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi everyone, I have two younger horses-yearling colt and a 3 month old filly for sale.  They are both TB/Clyde.  When I measured from their knee to the coronet band, the colt was 17" and the filly was 16", reading some other posts on this site that means they should finish 17hh and 16hh which I believe because when I measured the other horses it was dead on with every horse.  The colt is trained to lead (w/t/c), tie and bath. and picks up his feet.  The filly has just started lead work (I know it was late),  but is doing great and is walking with me now, she picks up all her feet. Both of them have a laid back personality but would excell in the show ring.  I had them priced at $5000 but lowered it to $2000 because I was just getting tire kickers and thought I was asking too much.  What do you guys think I should be asking for them?  They a 3/4 TB and 1/4 Clyde.  Take a look at their pictures on my site. #ed_op#A href="http://www.freewebs.com/motstables"#ed_cl#www.freewebs.com/motstables#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#  Thanks for your help in advance.      #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kaleena » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Beautiful horses you have there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think you will get more genuine interest at $2000. $5000 seems a bit much to me for a yearling plus the fact that its just before winter when horses tend to flood the market. I paid $2000 for my yearling filly (TB/Welsh cob, registered 1/2 welsh) two years ago in July. I had eventing in mind when I was looking and $2000 was my max price that I was willing to spend on a yearling. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Its a waiting game! Hope your guys find nice homes soon :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would say that 2000$ is more reasonable than the initial 5000$.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I paid 5000$ for a TB/Clyde cross, 10 years old, proven broodmare and trained basic dressage and jumping with an excellent temperament.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I personally, had another 5000$ to spend on a horse of similar breeding, I would go again for a trained horse rather than a baby.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think at 2000$, you should have more serious interest.  I agree with Kaleena however that this will probably be a waiting game - unfortunately.  It's been hard to sell lately, let alone acutally make money on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck though - they are both adorable.  I love the 2 year old (the one not for sale) - he's a cutie! ;)  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby chenders01 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're going to have a hard time selling babies, going into the winter.  If you check some of the classified sites, you'll see that horses are going for cheap-cheap right now.  Some people are actually giving their horses away, or have them priced really low, just so that they don't have to pay to feed them throughout the winter.  You can pick up nice draft-cross yearlings at the auctions for under a thousand bucks.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You may have better luck holding onto these two for the winter and then trying to sell them again in the Spring.  They'll be that much older and you can spend the winter putting some more training on them (although it sounds as though you've already done as much training with them as you can).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to tell you what you don't want to hear but if you check out the sites, you'll see what I'm talking about.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Thanks everyone

Postby Hope03 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:11 am

Thank you very much, I was considering taking them off the market until they are 3 because everyone seems to be looking for 3 year olds. These two are worth tons, that might just be because I love them so much :D. I have been looking at babies on EC and most seem to be at higher prices but are not selling very well. Oh well, I don't mind hanging onto them for a couple more years! Someone was wanting to come look at the filly so wish us luck! Thanks again!
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think $2,000 is much more reasonable for draft X's, as nice as they are. A lot of people buying foals will be looking at pedigree, so it can be hard to get much money for non-warmblood with a "soft"pedigree as a youngster. Once they're a little older people will be more inclined to look at them on their own merits as a riding horse, but babies can change so much, especially in a larger horse, that you really don't know what you've got until they're close to 3, and "they" say pedigree is a good predictor about 75% of the time, so it is an important factor for most choosing a foal. I know I don't really expect to sell my sport pony foal before winter, but luckily I'm in a position to keep him so I don't have to drop the price - I just haven't raised it after he did well at the ASPR inspection - and he has an excellent pedigree!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the influx of PMU's really killed the market for draft X foals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#to be honest for a yearling or a weanling draft cross I would never pay 5000$ You can buy registeres warmbloods or tbs for that price. 2000$ is more reasonable but you may still have trouble selling them. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Its just not the time of year. If I were you I would keep them for awhile until they are older. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The colt would be more marketable if he were GELDED.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's true, Patricia.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsecrazy100 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was just offered a nice/free/sound/healthy 5 y/o mare, well started under saddle, for free! She's a Belgian/TB, and a beauty. The lady knows the market is low, and just wants a good home for her.. Something to think about.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy100
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Hope03 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:02 pm

I know the market is slow so I have decided to take them off the market. Trinity is a horse that I think will take me far in the show ring and I don't really want to lose her. That is awesome you got such a good horse for free, not many people get deals like that. Next years babies will not be priced to high from my guys, but these two were definately worth the $2000, I will keep them until they are older and trained.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby FleeingFelon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Market is definitely slow.  I just had delivered today horse #2 and she came free also (horse #1 was free) except for paying for shipping.  Nothing wrong with this mare.  She is a VERY nicely bred 13 yr old TB broodmare.  Clean legs, healthy, up-to-date on everything and had a foal this year to a very pricey TB stallion  I know the reason behind her being available, but it was to my surprise that she was free, when I had heard about her she had a low price tag.  So for the winter I told the BO that if she had a student up for a challenge then to put them on her and see how she will be for the hunter ring.  I've discussed leasing her to the person I got her from for next breeding season but if they don't want to go through with it then I'll let the kids show her.   I wanted her as my future broodmare first and then as my second riding horse for pure enjoyment.  So while she may have come earlier than I had planned, I'm making sure that she'll have some thing to keep her occupied till the time is right for a baby.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
FleeingFelon
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Hope03 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:59 pm

I was offered $1500 tonight for the colt. Everyone in my family thinks it's not enough, what do you guys think? I think if he goes to a good home its enough but I just don't know! Let me know what you think!
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby taco2 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that is more than reasonable. I've bought dead broke reg.Qh's for $2000 never mind a yearling TB/Clyde cross.  They are nice looking horses, but realistically $1500 is more than reasonable IMO.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally, I would think about it. He's a yearling? He could easily cost you that before you sell him, particularly if he's not gelded yet, between feeding him, vet bills and farrier if you don't sell him by this time next year. Especially if you know it's a good home and you were thinking about selling him at $2,000. Yeah, I think I'd sell him. You wouldn't necessarily get more in a year and he'll definitely cost you more than $500 between now and then.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ruth on Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Ruth, unload him now, before winter hits.  You'll spend a lot more than $500 on him, between now and next Spring.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Agreed..sometimes we cut our losses and take an offer, before 3 years down the road, they cost you thousands and you only get marginally more from a sale. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ditto the ruth, GS & chenders...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#take the money & run now, before he ends up costing you more in future, or somethig happens to him, and you end up with less in future.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Hope03 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Hopefully it all works out. I was also offered a trade for a 9 year old TB gelding that is well trained. I have a lot of thinking to do.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Selling

Postby BAO_Sweetheart » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck! In the end, I hope that you end up with that good feeling about making money...LoL! Just make sure that they're the people who could take care of your horse best...Make  good choices!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BAO_Sweetheart
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to Advice on Buying & Selling