hmmm why does everyone not like original names?

Names for Horses, Stables, Trucks etc.....Looking for a name? Have a suggestion?

Moderator: EC

hmmm why does everyone not like original names?

Postby shady222 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#this isn't really a request for a show name or barn name for either of my horses, but some of the people i talk to don't like the names i have for my horses so they call them something else...i  don't really care but when the owner decides what they are going to call there horse shouldn't everyone? or can everyone have a different name for one horse. My mare came to me with the name (Defiant Shadow) Shadow and she isnt a dark colored horse and i didn't like the way the name made her sound like a gelding so i called her Shady, but everyone still calls her shadow...with my colt...being as i just bought him and no one even knew him by another name i decided to call him Kiado, (Canadian Idol)because it sounded cute but his old owner called him Gunner and lots of the people liked that name so they want me to keep it, shouldn't i be able to decide? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i dont know...kind of a pet peeve...i dont hate people for it but its kind of like...well there my horses so i should be able to call them what i want...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eileen » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:35 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#well like you say, it is a pet peeve of yours.  lol  I guess when the horse has been known by another name by others it is hard to decipher what horse they are talking about unless they use the old name.  Since you are the new owner, you can call the horse whatever you want.  Your horse, your name.  lol #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#However what anyone else chooses to call it in reference to a story or what ever is their business.  If it really bothers you that much when the are talking to you about your horse you can ask them to call the horse (your chosen name) and that is that...I am sure that they have no idea that you are so annoyed by this little detail.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yeah I have had that problem with my horses because 2 of them have different names.  Everytime I takled about them though I would say the name I wanted until it stuck into peoples head what their names were.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like Shady....rhymes with lady and it really suits her, I think.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for Kiado...I think it was rather rude of the old owner to be saying he is Gunsmoke/Gunner. Considering she hardly worked with him and he doesn't know his name yet. Kiado is fine, suits him well, and you are happy with it. You are the owner, ultimately you decide.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse had no name when we got him...so they just called him Max, which I hated. That and I know about 6 other horses with that name. So I started calling him Gambit, it just suited him more.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some still call him Max, but to me he is my Gambit and that is what matters.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But think of Laura and Julie...Waylyn came with his name and answered to it already, so they felt like they couldn't change it. It suits the big goof anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You sound like every mom or mom-to-be! When we were picking out names for my baby when I was preggers, everybody likes to comment on your choice of names! IT'S SO ANNOYING! Just keep with the names YOU like and don't care what anyone else thinks! I would personnaly correct them (very politly) when the other name is spoken. Something like" I call him/her sososo because I really think that this name suits him/her best". Eventually they will start calling him/her by your chosen name. Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby shady222 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe well i dont think it will change with Shady but with Kiado hes only been there for 1 day...lol. hehe i know weird things bother me, but i am picky with names and as Crystal said i dont want a horse named after a weapon they named him Gunsmoke/gunner because he was a grey, but now he is a seal brown/black and it doesnt really suit him....hehe i'm glad im not the only one with this prob...hehe as long as there are only some stubborn ones that call them the names i hate i dont mind...but to me they are Shady and Kiado..short and sweet :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kobau » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#when one of my horses is sold, i let the ppl know why they have the name they have, and it is usually to do with personality etc.. We had one named Kobau Pale Ale, he was named that as a joke we'd had a percheron/morgan named Draft guiness(yu can guess solidity and colour) and we joked that "Ghost"(barn name thanks to being mainly white!) was to much white to be pale ale... but the name stuck.. and the ppl that bought him once they knew why he had the name have decided to keep it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#heck you walk in my lil barn and you are greeted by spike, tie, target, jinx, mickey and mister, plus cal, higgins and Rudy.... the first 6 are mine, Spike my Punch, Let's tie one On, Bailey's on Ice, Spiced rum( he is lil horse, so a "mickey of spiced rum;)) Call me Mister(attitude) they all have kobau in front due to farm name.. but most ppl that met them have liked the registered names, and the barn names suit to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Completely off topic, but Kobau, I noticed you put that infront of your horse's show names- where does it come from?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU, Kobau is our farm name, Kobau Farm. It comes from a mountain that was directly across the Valley from our lil farm in Oliver BC. We kept it when we moved, and so it is the "prefix" in front of all our registered horses names. All except Jinx i think we sent his papers off with just Bailey's on Ice as his first choice name... can't recall if we made him a Kobau or not!!! Having the Kobau in front allows ppl to know exactly who bred and raised the horse, in BC that got me extra biz and all cause i had/still do i think, a rep of having really good quality well mannered horses that were versatile and well started.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Ultimate Equestrian Name Databank