Help from married EC folk please!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby chenders01 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:12 am

Lix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I'm still unsure on buffet vs served plate.  Even for the plates, there are many options...  Both prices come to the same thing so it should be ok but I'm not sure if I want to do it more traditional (plate) or let everyone get what they want by doing the buffet.  The buffet I believe was salads, roast beef, potatoes, veggies and dip, buns, lasagna (vegetarian or meat), and desserts and coffee/tea.  Don't remember if there was something else but that's what the one was like that was about 15$ per person.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Any opinions on this (plate vs. buffet)?  :) #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We went with plates because I didn't feel right about making people stand in line to get their supper.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I mentioned earlier that our dinner was "family style"...so, bowls and platters of food were put on the tables and guests basically served themselves.  I preferred this to made-up plates.  Doing family style allowed the small eaters to only take as much as they wanted, while the big eaters could load their plates up as much as they wanted, or take seconds.  The servers just kept putting the bowls/platters on the tables until everyone had their fill.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your only options are made-up plates or a buffet, I personally would go for the made-up plates.  I'm not big into buffets.  I always feel like it's a bunch of cows lining up at the trough to get their food #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to add that, if you decide to go with made-up plates, make sure that the servings on the plate are adequate and not skimpy.  I've been to weddings/functions where you get a little piece of meat, 3 tiny potatoes and 3 or 4 green beans.  That amount might be enough for the women eaters, but most men walk away still hungry...and thinking you're cheap because you didn't want to spend the money to provide a proper meal.  I'm not saying that you ARE this way!  But if you go with made-up plates, make sure that your guests are getting a decent amount of food on their plates.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Totally agree chenders!  People go through enough trouble finding something to wear, getting gifts and travelling to a wedding, they surely deserve to have full tummies for it!!!  Usually, you are so tired for standing and small talking for hours and waiting for the bride and groom that you are starving by the time dinner comes.  At least, I'm like that! ;)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#So yes... not skimpy...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I was leaning towards the plates too cause I feel bad for people having to get up when they are all dressed up and having to wait in line.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#My Mom also advised me to GO to the golf course and eat what I picked well before the wedding to make sure that the dish is acutally good.  Plus, we'd want to make sure that like you said, the portions are decent!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Also wondering... I need ideas on how to save money for the cold buffet at night.  I find them very expensive, usually about 10$ per person and with 100 + guests for the party, it will be $$$$!  I want to try and ask our Moms to make little snacks (crackers, cheese, veggies) for BEFORE dinner (while we are taking pictures and guests are waiting) but that's only for 50 people.  For the party, there will be way more people but I was wondering if there was an alternative to ordering what the caterer offers at 10$ per person.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby BTDT » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Food for thought Lix ...  Buffet over plated service ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Getting into a  line for the buffet generates conversation between people who may not know each other ... it's pretty hard to stand there with a plate in your hand and not talk about something.  Its a great ice breaker.  If you have a largish group, just have your MC call tables up to the line ... don't do a stampede of everyone there.  AND take from both sides of the room.  Plated service does allow people to stay seated but you usually find everyone seated at one table will already know each other and there is no reason to get off their duffs to see what the other family or guests are like.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Buffet covers the concern that some people eat more than others .. you can eat as little or as much as you like and you usually get a better selection of food to cover a number of likes and dislikes.  Plated service requires more staff (so yes the cost will be higher) but the service usually (and I strees usually) happens at about the same time.  If you are doing a plated service, think about French service which means that staff come around and put what you want onto your plate at the table, not behind the seasons where it has time to get cold.  This will also allow the picky people in your group to have some say in what goes on their plate.  It's also fancier too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With a buffet, you don't have to worry about making sure the vegetarians on your guest list are happy. French service will also take care of this but make sure you order "vegetarian" dinners for them so that when they ask for it, the waiter can bring it to them without you having to worry about pointing them out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But as noted ... just my preferences.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Been there ... Done that ... TWICE
BTDT

Postby jax » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally, I prefer a buffet at something like a wedding because then you're not stuck with whatever is put in front of you.  You can see the food before you pick what you want. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Previous

Return to The Lounge