Meningitous(sp?)

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Meningitous(sp?)

Postby Marty_Jones » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV id=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN id=hbblock#ed_cl##ed_op#LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="2400284585"#ed_cl##ed_op#/LABEL#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So just recently one of my friends passed away from Meningitous(sp?)(funeral tomor#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/6.gif"#ed_cl#) Which Im told that getting it is like 1 in a million.... So Im going to get a vacs for it anyways but what exactly is it??? What does it do to you?? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Meningitis

Postby Sunny Side Up » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm very sorry about your friend, such a tragedy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Meningitis is either bacterial or viral.  I dont know a lot about it, but a friend of mine contracted the bacterial type in her late teens (she's in her late 20's now).  One day she was perfectly healthy, the next day she woke up with an irritating itch on her thumb.  Twelve hours later she felt like she had the flu, and in the next twelve hours, she couldnt walk.  She lost both legs below the knee, one arm at the elbow, and three fingers from the opposite hand.  She has prosthetic limbs and functions very well.  She is grateful to be alive and one of the most positive and inspiring people I know.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sunny Side Up
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Foxie » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#MJ that terrible about your friend. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl# I'm not too sure how it works but its flu like symptoms, stiff neck, fever. I do know that to check if you have it they have to do a spinal tap(I think that's what its called). In high school a guy in my class died from it and we had to take some orange pills so we would get it. The shot is a good idea.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SSU - your friend is amazing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Hev339 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:43 pm

#ed_op#font size="1"#ed_cl#MJ, very sorry to hear about your friend. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'm taking a class called "Infectious Disease," so I'll tell you what I know. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Meningitis is a disease that inflames the lining around your brain and
spinal cord. It is either bacterial or viral, as was already said, but
can be fungal as well. Viral is the type that is almost never life
threatening, and people can make a full recovery from it. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The bacterial form is usually from a bacteria called menningcoccal
bacteria. This type is really dangerous because sometimes there are not
signs that you have menningcoccal meningitis, and it kills. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
However, there is a vaccination you can get, so no worries! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If you have a rash, there is a test you can do called a "tumbler test"
If you are ill and have a rash, press a tumbler glass up against it. If
you can still see the spots through the glass and they have not faded,
then that's when you need to go to get checked out. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I have a friend who had viral meningitis not too long ago. She made a
recovery, but to put it nicely, "mentally" she is not the same, and she
also has lost a lot of functioning in her legs. #ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Razzba » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to hear about your friend, MJ. It is very sad to lose a young person that is your friend.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My thoughts are with you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Razzba

Postby stronghold » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#MJ, so sorry for your loss!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Bacterial meningitis is a very scary thing.  William gets vaccinations for it.  They had an ad campaign recently that was a real tear-jerker, with a litlle boy talking about his sister who was deaf and brain injured because of it.  Horrible disease.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Marty_Jones » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I wet to the funeral it was so sad#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/2.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;Her mother was just histarical, such a shame only the best die young I guess#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/1.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;Thanks for informing me on the disease tho#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#MJ, so sorry for your loss :( Very sad to hear.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My good friends sisters best friend (lost yet? :s) passed away from Meningitis when they were quite young (around 16 I think). Her friend called her in the morning before school to say she wouldn't be walking with her as she wasn't feeling well and complained of a sore neck as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That afternoon she passed away and that morning was the last time Kelly (my friends sister) spoke to her best friend.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds as if it's a very scary disease!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Get your vaccine, and again,&nbsp;very, very sorry to hear about your friend :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My sympathies on the loss of your friend.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; Meningitis is a very scary disease.&nbsp; I've known a few people that had it and fortunately, they all made a complete recovery, but I know that's not always the case.&nbsp; Have you been to see about shots, yet?&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sorry to hear about your friend.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There was a boy who went to my middle school and died from it- age 13. Very sad. Also, a few of his friends went and saw him the night before and said he was fine, then the next day he died. It really does take people fast.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

meningitis

Postby shytech74 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey...I haven't been able to access this site for a month...server errors etc...still kinda goofy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have a good friend, in her forties, who contracted meningitis a few years ago now. She had been feeling yucky-flulike for a week...she went to her doctor (in England) and he diagnosed "the flu" go home, drink lots, keep warm, etc etc. The next day a friend called at her house and found the door unlocked...walked in...looked around...and found her in a coma on the floor where she had collapsed.&nbsp; She was 8 months in a coma, and lost a lot of her longterm memory, she still struggles to speak...had to relearn to read and write almost from scratch. She has other side effects as well. Now back in school but struggling. It is a devastating disease as it affects you mentally and physically.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp; So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend...life is cruel sometimes, it makes us cherish the friends and the times together we do have.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shytech74
Groupie
Groupie

Postby goldendryad » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:55 pm

#ed_op#span style="color: rgb(255, 128, 191);"#ed_cl##ed_op#font size="4"#ed_cl#I'm sorry about your friend.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Someone I know has/had? meningitis. He used to be a really good horse
breeder and showed and such. But meningitis left him with insomnia,
really bad headaches and narcolepsy, and overal...err...mental
troubles. He still runs his breeding operation, but really can't handle
it and has too many horses. It's sad because he used to be a really
great horseperson.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge