Printers for home computer

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Printers for home computer

Postby Razzba » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All right all you computer geeks, I need advice!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I want to get a printer for my home computer. Just a basic thing. Prints black and colour, I don't need a photo-quality type printer or one that scans, faxes, makes pizza, whatever.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone have any recommendations for me???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Razzba

Postby Hev339 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#font size="2"#ed_cl#An important thing to look at is the price of
replacement ink cartridges. Some are pretty expensive, and if you want
your printer just for basic printing, then you might not want to pay a
lot each time you need the cartridges replaced. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
In my experience, HP printers have one of the cheaper replacement ink
cartridges, and they also print pretty high quality stuff. (I have one
right now, the best printer I've used, and I use it for University
assignments and such) . #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So, a little biased, but I say get an HP printer. #ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have the HP laser printer. IT'S AWESOME!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/21.gif"#ed_cl#  I had an ink jet printer and hated it. Just about chucked the thing out the window!! The ink keep drying out.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got it for Christmas last year. It's more expensive but in the long run it'll save you money on the ink #ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#cartridges.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#span style="color: rgb(255, 128, 191); font-style: italic;"#ed_cl##ed_op#font size="4"#ed_cl#Another vote for HP here! I have one and love it and the cartridges seem to last quite a long time! #ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Razzba » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK guys, do you have any model numbers on those HPs???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a HP at work, I am not too impressed by it. Eats paper, makes a lot of noise, but I haven't had anything to compare it to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Razzba

Postby draftdriver » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:10 am

Our HPs at work are real workhorses -- rarely break down, last for years and years. They are B&W laser printers. I really don't recommend ink-jet printers -- too expensive to buy ink all the time. Also, the ink jets use dyes, not pigments, so the colours will fade quickly on your printouts. Our good colour printer is a Tek/Xerox Phaser, but it is very expen$$$$ive. Prints from this will not fade, though.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DurhamJumper » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love my Canon its a getto old model though but its the best thing I've ever used, my parents have a newer Canon it sucks ass the quality of printing is crap and they have an HP the thing breaks more then it works, so much for buying a photo printer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would say go to Staples and tell then what you want tell them nothing more just need this and I want something good but not overly expensive see what they say then go to Office place say the same thing, if the printers they both suggest are close to the same, go with that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
DurhamJumper

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:13 am

I have a Lexmark black and white laser printer and love it. The
cartridges are expensive but they last for a very long time. I have
only replaced it once in about 4 years.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We recently bought an Epson Stylus Photo R200 (no, i'm not a computer geek, I'm sitting next to it so read the model off of it LOL)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#We've been really happy with this printer, we had a Lexmark before hand and it was alright but this one is great! The cartridges last quite a long time and my mom does a TON of color printing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm don't think the cartridges are too pricey, the reason why we ended up with this printer is because it was only a little more than the price of a new cartridge for the Lexmark, so we just bought a new printer that had the cartridge already in it. I beleive the cartridges for our Epson are cheaper than our Lexmark.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For anyone who has a problem with the ink drying, this happens sometimes with our plotter cartridges at work. Just take the cartridge out and clean where the ink comes out with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and it should work fine again. It's usually just the ink around where the ink comes out that dries up, not all the ink on the inside. I always do this with our plotter cartridge and it has worked everytime! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Hev339 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:46 pm

I have an hp deskjet3420. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I print a heck of a lot (assignments, lecture materials, readings,
reasearch) every single day, and haven't changed my cartridge yet this
(school) year. Also, when I do, the cartridges only cost around $30-$35
so it's no big deal. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Razzba » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ummmm, that one sounds good Hev339. I will check that one out for sure!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Razzba

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#haha get a Dell printer... They're pretty good. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG Razzba... I just went onto the Dell site and im at home..... its enough to have to be on that site all day at work hahaa. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Theres one on the Dell site for 69$ thats pretty cheep I think. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/allinone?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs"#ed_cl#http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/allinone?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally, we've got a Canon I350 printer, its super fast haha. It spits out pages like theres no tomorow and we have never had any problems with it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lehane » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a canon of some kind...is a great printer, was under $100, and the black ink is only $9.99 and I think the colour is close to $25? The black doesn't last forever, if you print a lot, but replacing it's not a problem even for a broke student like myself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Return to The Lounge