chickens!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby Happy Appy's » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My kids are thinking green eggs and ham from Dr. Seuss books. They are going to be so disappointed when the eggs are cooking and they aren't green inside.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eileen » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:05 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#They aren't.....??? lol#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OH my I want Green eggs and Ham too please!  I have had such a giggle reading this about the chickens.  I have no interest in raising them.  But I sure like the eggs and the good dinners later. LOL  Sounds like way too much work for a few eggs.  But I know they taste really good fresh.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I did farm sit for a place that had chickens and all I had to do is collect the eggs each morning, and then have breakfast, yum! lol.  I ate eggs every day that week when I did that sitting assignment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok so you want the easter egg chickens? They are called Aracauna's or Americana's. They lay brown, white, green,and blue eggs.Their are breeders that I know of that have them if you want their # just PM me. I had some , but we got rid of them when I switched to Brahmas's. I have Muscovy ducks! and belive it or not they raise my chicks for me!! I have 1 mama duck right now that has appx 7 Light Brahmas chicks around her. She didn't hatch them out herself. She was just sitting on eggs that was in the same cage as they were and when I took her eggs from her(didn't have a drake) she "adopted" the 2 month old chicks.  I also have turkeys! They are not hard to raise at all! I've done them every year, but I always have losses. We bought 6 Bronze this year(we find them tastier) and only lost 2. 1 during the flood we had a couple of months ago and the other one drowned in a bucket of water when they were little. I did 25 Heavy Whites last year and only lost 1. I have geese as well and I just put 3 of their"children" down last week! They are not really theirs. I had to buy the babies as my goose has trouble hatching hers out for some reason. She took to them right away after she was in her nest. I watched her for appx 1 hr just to make sure that she took the 1(the guinea pig goseling) and then I brought the others out. I did them same for my Muscovy mama duck(different duck then above) with 4 several week old Pekin ducklings. I had to run and jump to get outta mamas way!!  She did not want me near her new "babies"!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Chickens

Postby Hope03 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:03 am

We had about 100 chickens in the spring including the chicks but the number is down because of one stupid mink! We introduced the blue egg layers and they lay awesome eggs. Our little ones (they are the type in the jungle-colourful and small) lay very good eggs but we wanted bigger ones. In the summer they are in the trees...first warm day they go out to the trees, I don't feed them during the summer, I do feed the chicks that become orphaned :( but in the fall I start feeding near the barn so it gets everyone use to me again, I slowly move the food into the barn and they get the idea. All of them are pets and we have more roosters than hens and none end up in the freezer lol. Winter, they all stay in a coop together with no heat lamp and they are fine, they cuddle together. On cold nights -23 I usually check on them throughout the night-call me crazy but they are my pets, but with the heat from other chickens they stay pretty warm. Watch out for weasels in the barn, and outside owls at night, raccoons, mink, and we had a fox this year as well. Free range chickens lay the best eggs, but they also would rather sleep outside. If they are kept in for a week they will usually go back to their home. Make sure the roost is high.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to The Lounge