Would you wear a non-traditional wedding dress?

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Would you wear a non-traditional wedding dress?

Postby Lix » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hehe. Weird question to ask on an equestrian site but anyway...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So you all know I'm getting married next year.  Went to Montreal yesterday to try on my 'dream' dress.  It fits like  a glove.  Or like my Mom says "it looks like you were born with it".  I don't have any pictures of me in it since the store didn't allow it but I do have a dilema:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The sample I tried on in the store was 'sand' colour.  THough at first I brushed it off and immediately assumed that I would order the ivory version if the sample fit well... I was surprised upon trying it on to see that the 'sand' colour was gorgeous.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am going somewhat non-traditional in that I will be wearing big chunky dark brown jewlery.  I also want my shoes to be brownish. And my wedding colours will be burnt orange and wheat and brown.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now as much as I like that I am going to be unique, I don't know if getting a sand dress would be too much.  After all, my bf hinted that he likes the traditional look (but then, most men can't think outside the box until they see it in person - no offense guys ;))  Also, as silly as this is, I don't want his family to be whispering around "oh my, look at what she's wearing, I would never wear that colour for my wedding".  I know, I know, I shouldn't care what others say but...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, here's the dress on the model:  it's pictured here in sand colour - though the pic is a bit deceiving.  In real life, the colour is a bit darker.  I've seen a girl with the ivory (just through pics) and the dress looked completely different - more shiny and more formal.  So - what do you think?  Is a 'sand' dress over the top and something one might regret later or would you say it's a go.  Completely honest opinions welcome!  If you don't like the colour - say so!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://bayareabridal.net/bridal/illusions/S2005/images/3002.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby KBOC » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:08 am

<---likes the dress :D
KBOC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, Lix, I think that since your colour scheme is earth-tones, this dress would probably fit in better with that theme than an ivory one would.  I honestly don't think, on your wedding day, that your fiance is going to see you walking down the aisle and say "omigosh, look at the colour of her DRESS!!" LOL!!  He's just going to see your face, most likely.  And as far as everyone else, who CARES what they think??  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If the sand colour goes with your colouring and isn't going to stand out in a garish (sp?) way, and you LIKE the colour, then I say Go For IT!!  It's YOUR day and you should do it the way YOU want.  I think that things are becoming less traditional nowadays anyway.  White/ivory dresses are traditionally for virgins, and since you've been living with your fiance for awhile now, I think it would be perfectly fine to go with a sand-coloured dress.  It's not like it's black or fire-engine RED or anything #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's a very nice, neutral colour, and I'll bet it'll look AMAZING with the other colours you've chosen to use.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kricket » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The dress looks beautiful!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing that really matters is what you want.  It is #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#your #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#day.  If you love it, then get it.  I'm sure it looks just as nice in a lighter colour, but in the end it is up to you.  If you do go with the lighter dress, you may look back and regret not getting this one!  Besides it sounds like it will go perfectly with your jewellery and your colour scheme.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you want it, go for it.  And don't worry about what anyone else has to say.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck with your decision.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Take Care.
DARE TO DREAM
Kricket

Postby vannarae1975 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To tell you there truth its what you think, not anyone else.  I made that mistake when i got married.  I was pretty much just there for them to dress.  I think that the dress that i see on your post is the most perfect dress for your colours.  And again its your day don't let anyone tell you it looks not right becuase its not white.  I have seen wedding dresses from red to you name it.  But the dress i see is perfect.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#vannarae1975#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
vannarae1975
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ridingdouds » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:58 pm

I really love that dress!!!
Ridingdouds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TequillaJack » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG I love that dress.  I say if you wanna go non traditional do it.  After all white/ivory meant that the bride was a virgin and really how many of us are now when we get married so why should we keep that tradition we cant live up to what it means.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My wedding dress is going to be a light shade of pink because thats what I want, its your day do what you want.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really like it too, and agree with Chenders that it will go better with brown jewellery and shoes than ivory would.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldn't get married in a traditional dress myself, doesn't turn my crank.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When my aunt and uncle got married she just bought a nice dress that she'd be able to wear again, and even at that really would have been quite happy to be married in jeans! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Gemina » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love it. The colour is soft and warm just what you want on your wedding day. Beautiful dress.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My wedding dress is/was( I still have it and try it on every anniversary just to make sure it still fits!) an off white ivory colour. And as other people stated this is YOUR DAY NOT ANYBODY ELSE'S!!!!! If you want that dress then go ahead and wear it!! Personnally I think that dress is gorgeous!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow Lix, I really love that dress. I dont think the sand color looks bad or really untraditional at all. I thought by the title of the post that it was going to be like apurple wedding dressage or something... THAT I could NOT handle... haha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wish I was getting married now, heck Id wear that dress! But brownish stuff is more my color, it makes my skin tones stand out better. I dont think I would ever wear a start white dress. It just wouldnt look right on me. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It would look amazing with those orangy-yellow roses too. Im imagining it right now... sigh... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I absolutely love the colour.  If I was to ever get married that would be what I would chose.  Go for it.  With what you have describe for you colour theme it's perfect.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pmc » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another vote for the tan dress.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl#  It's absolutely gorgeous!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:02 pm

I say go for it Lix!! My bf and I just went to a wedding last weekend and the girl wore a sky blue dress almost exactly like that one!
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby GoDDeSSofWiNgS » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that dress is awesome, charge admission cause ppl should pay to see that!  Its beautiful and the colour is perfect.  I was at a wedding and the girl went a darker shade of ivory, like almost yellow/goldy it was nice and refreshing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Woodbine = Heaven

Barbaro: We will never know and that will always pain us most
GoDDeSSofWiNgS
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby geldinggirlie » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:10 pm

If you are even Considering the Ivory dress, I think you should try it
on in that colour -- or a similar style.  I found when I was
trying on dresses, that everything looked completely different
depending on the colour, the lighting, etc etc.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Perhaps you should try the gown on and step outside since that's where you'll be getting married?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The Sand colour does look STUNNING, and you would be beautiful in it
and you should definitely get whatever you want, but ya, if you're
thinking about the ivory dress, you should try it on in Ivory, just so
you can compare,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Good Luck hun!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
geldinggirlie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:12 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Tradition has been pretty well thrown out the window these days.  Heck you can wear just about anything you want.  I know of a brid that wore a femine tux (white) and the groom was dressed in the traditional manly tux (is there such a thing)  lol#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#My cousin got married this past August...she had the traditional white gown...but wore the cowboy boots with that.  lol#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I love the style and color of the dress in question.  I say go for it...it is your day....and you are wearing it...so you must be the one that has to feel comfortable and good in the dress.  As was stated before...you jewelery and color choices of everything else...will complement this dress...Sooooo it looks like everyone is thumbs up for your choice so far....go for it girl....lol#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh - you guys are the sweetest people ever...!  ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the compliments on the dress.  I was so happy to see that it fit in real life the same as it fits on the model.  I have hardly been able to sleep since Saturday. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#should#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# go with what I want.  The sand was just beautiful.  I can't see the dress in ivory though because they don't have it anywhere around here.  (I even had to drive 2 hours just to see the 'sand' one).  I'm really scared that if I were to order the ivory, I might be deceived when I receive it.  Some people have hinted that it might change the look which is the scary part.  At the same time, I want to feel like a real 'bride'.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GG- that's true about the sand maybe looking different outside!...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So far, I'm leaning towards the 'sand'.  My whole family is too.  I think I'll ask the mother-in-law this morning, see what she says...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lix - i hafta say - the sand is gorgeous. i'd much prefer that to plain ole white!! and from your description of the other colours that will be taking part, it sounds like it will toally fit right in with the "theme".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i say if you can find the ivory, try it on, and then compare, but if you can't find it....go with the sand - it's beautiful (fyi - you'll never see me in a dress, esp like that!! too pretty! lol - i'd rather wear jeans to my wedding!!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks BT...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I e-mailed my mother-in-law this morning with the picture I showed you guys and she too said that sand would be nice.  I guess her opinion mattered to me more than I thought because it kind of took a weight off my shoulders that she was open to it.  I get along with my in-laws well and they are super people but they are pretty conservative so I guess I was a bit hesitant regarding that.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm leaning more and more towards the sand colour!  It's so great to hear all your encouraging opinions!  Thanks again. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Next

Return to The Lounge