Help!! My Dog Is SOOOO Destructive!!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby mallard » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been training/competing dogs (obedience/agility) for many years.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First of all this dog needs a CRATE. No questions asked. Just do it. Now. Period.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Secondly it needs OBEDIENCE CLASSES. Not necessarily 'formal obedience, as you will not be competeing. Just find a reputable school that teaches' family training.And then practice DAILY in several very short sessions. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He is not going to change his habits over night. You will need time & patience.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kinda sounds like training a horse, eh?!?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The RECALL is your most valuable tool. Practice it often. Start of in the house. Get reliable recalls indoors.Always reward with a small treat. Every single time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Put the dog on a longe-line if it is loose outside and hold onto it  Do NOT tie it to your clothesline! Tied up dogs can get caught up it the rope/chain & strangle themselves in a split second.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I recommend Jean Donaldson's book "The Culture Clash" for EVERY dog owner.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PM me if you want more good book recommendations#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The invisible fencing can be exellent... we have used it with success for a few years.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However...you must TRAIN the dog. This could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 days.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dogs are a lifetime commitment. Putting time and $$$ into crates & classes when they are young is the best investment you can make.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ask yourself this...If the dogs gets hit or shot at, can you afford the vet bills??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Buying a crate & investing in classes is way cheaper!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have seen way way too many nice dogs given to the pound because the owners did not take the time to train them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

The best success is usually the one you risk the most to achieve
mallard

Postby Sodapoppers » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Nah, why would you think you sound harsh Mallard? It's true! I'm taking obediance lessons with her right now. When she's in hand she's awesome. I went out again last night and she was good...she seems to do better there with all the dogs then she does at home with NO distractions! lol I just finished working with her tonight and she is getting better!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You've gotten a lot of good advice.  But the one thing I don't agree with, is spraying the bitter apple or fooey on things that she is not sussposed to chew.  IMO, this is just a masking the problem, and not addressing the problem at hand (kinda like a tie down for head tossing..lol). He must be taught that he can chew his things, and NOTHING else. It can be done, just you need to be patient, and persistant.  You also need to realize that you need to be responsible as well, puppy-proof your yard, just like you'd baby proof your house.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have an Akita/lab and he is an very aggressive chewer...he chewed my cell phone, rubber boots, garden hose to name a few!  He's is turning a year on Oct.14, so very close to your dogs age. He LOVES to chew, nothing wrong w/that, he's a dog, but he has been taught since 3 months, that he chews only his things, but of course he's going to have fall backs here and there, just like a child does things occasionally even though they may know it's wrong. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like someone said, a dog is a puppy for 2-3 years, so training will be on going for quite sometime. And yes terriers are destructive by nature, yes they can be trained, but generally speaking the terriers are quite hyper, and destructive, the main reason being that they are very smart, and must be excersied/played daily to ensure they stay mentally stimulated, they love to learn, so take advantage of the natural instinct.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A lot of the times, people give their dogs too many toys, leaving the dog over stimulted, and they won't chew them, instead find things that excite them other wise, so limit the amout of toys to 2 or three max, Kongs are great, as are rawhides.  My dog goes through LARGE rawhides in like a day, so when I'm gone for long periods of time, he gets a new rawhide, to keep him busy, I probaly go through 4 rawhides a week!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for tying him up, i'd avoid that, as I find this can lead to things such as digging, excessive barking etc, and a choking hazard.  Perhaps building a dog run in your yard may be the answer.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope I helped a bit, I know what it's like to have a dog who loves to chew everything, but they can be trained, it just takes patience, consitency, and lots of love!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to The Lounge