Help!! My Dog Is SOOOO Destructive!!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Help!! My Dog Is SOOOO Destructive!!

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:00 pm

I have just about had it with my puppy! She will be a year in 2 days and she's not getting better as she gets older, she's getting WORSE! I've started doing some obedience with her as a pay off for working with these people's horses (they breed and train obedience and give classes) So she's getting better in-hand, but worse on her own!
She has discovered she can fit under our fence. So if someone is walking by with a dog, or a kid, she gets out, either knocking the fence open or getting under it when she can! She's going to end up getting run over or shot for going onto someone else's property and playing just a little too rough with their dog or kid! She is just SO HYPER - there has to be some form of dog valium, cause geezuz!
I did go out and buy an invisible fence today and I am hoping that will help. The other 'issue' I am having is that she is WRECKING everything! I have bought her so many toys and within 2 mins she has them torn to absolute shreds. Terry cloth covered balls with squeakers aren't for chewing; they are for tearing and then ripping the stuffing out and seeing how big of a mess can be made!! She won't play with rubber toys and will just look to socks or a chair that she can chew.
I am just going crazy, trying to figure out what to do with her, she's not supposed to be this hyper, especially with our huge yard to tear around in!!
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Horsecetra » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sounds like you got your hands full, i have been there tho, its not fun.  some dogs dont grow out of it, i had a dog who was 7 and never changed.  he did get better, garbage was his downfall, lol  sometimes dogs are like kids and positve or negative attention doesnt matter, as long as its attention.  maybe he would like more attention, take him for walks everyday, play ball.  what kind of dog is it??  also rubbinig a dogs nose into whatever its done is so useless, you have to catch them in the act.  you could try crate training, dogs will look at it as we would a room, it would be a cave to them, which would be natural to a dog, however never scold a dog in a crate either.  if used right a crate is a valuable tool, and it doesnt have to be a permanent thing either.  another thing that i am sure that you learne in obediance is to make sure you dont send mixed messages that might confuse your dog which would make him think its ok to do these because he thinks it pleases you, for example letting them have an old shoe, they can not tell a new from an old shoe.  my favorite form of disciplining a dog was taking him and making him submit and told him he was a bad dog, never hit them when they are in this position as they are showing they are vulnerable, i usually growled, i know it sounds funny, but i got respect.  thats how the wolves did it.  also keep in mind that dogs dont really mature till about 2 to 3 yrs.of age.  anyways not sure if this helps, good luck!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horsecetra
Newbies
Newbies

Postby goldendryad » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:30 pm

You can buy some stuff called bitter apple, I think. You can use it to
spray it on what she likes to chew but shouldn't (the table, your
socks, etc...). It smells nasty and the taste is supposed to really
turn them off. That's a start.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Your dog is part terrier, right...he-he...hence the destructive chewing
and ripping things to shreds. I've heard that kongs are indestructable
(you can fill them with treats, they are entertaining...can even stick
them in place with cheese whiz or peanut butter) maybe they would help.
You can also get great big real bones (cured) for her to chew on....or
collect the gross horse hoof-trimmings at the barn (wash them off
first) dogs love to chew on them.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You could also isolate when she chews. If it's when she's home alone,
then maybe she has too much freedom. Try putting her in a dog-proof
zone. A room where there's nothing to chew or get into or the porch
sectioned off, an outdoor run or a crate. I used to put my dog in the
bathroom - there was nothing to chew. Left her with water and
toys/chews for entertainment. It was routine...I'd just tell her "go in
your room" and she'd go in, I'd leave treats and go. When she got older
I moved her to the bedroom. We can leave her roaming the house, but
she's more comfortable and barks less in her room...oh and can't sample
"kitty litter crunchies" that way, LOL.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If it's when you're home you need to re-establish a few things. Spend
all day there and keep her on a leash with you all day so she has no
opportunity to do something bad without you catching her and teaching
her "NO" and replacing the off-limits item with something more
acceptable. Or if the leash thing is totally unrealistic, then be aware
of her constantly, catch her in the act and startle her by throwing a
pop can full of pennies on the floor near her to get her attention then
say no.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Getting into garbage - I just keep the garbage someplace where they have no opportunity (meaning cat or dog) to get into it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If she is part-terrier she could also be high energy - needing more of
your time and energy and exercise. A lot of smaller dogs actually need
more exercise than the big ones. So make sure she has lots of other
activities to burn her excess energy on.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If you need a good book, try something by Dr. Stanley Coren...he's a
"dog-whisperer" and can cure pretty much any vice, if the owner is
willing to work on it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Same problem

Postby Hope03 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got a dog at an animal shelter and he was awesome to begin with. Then he started chewing on everything.  His name is Teddy so my mom bought him some Teddys and he tore one to shreads but he likes the other one and keeps it.  He would steal shoes off the porch and go bury them, he chews on the deck boards, no idea how he does it!  When I buy him toys, if he doesnt like them he will go bury it so I cant find it again.  When I have rubber boots on her chases me and bites them and holds on so I drag him, he is an idiot! lol.  He always chases the neighbours cars so we put up a fence, within 5 minutes he had found a way through.  I had no idea why he behaved like this until one day I was petting my 16 year old dog and Teddy just started growling at us.  It was the fact I wasn't paying attention to him, as the other post says, bad attention is still attention, he knows I will talk to him if he is biting my boots and he knows i will look for the toys he burys with him.  He was born in January and I am really hoping he will grow out of all this.  I do admit I love him to death and he is the best watch dog, but sometimes he drives me crazy!  I wish us both luck! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just because he is a terrier doesnt really mean he will be destructive. My dog is a Jack Russel and I have never had a problem with him chewing on things he wasn't supposed to. A couple times when he was a puppy he ruined a couple of things, my uncles stetson hat, a book. But thats it. He stopped. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree you should buy some deterant spray, I havent heard of bitter apple, but I know Fooey works well for horses or dogs. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for getting out... maybe invisible fencing would work? I know it works well for some dogs but some dogs it doesnt work. If you have no other option, buy a tie out and tie her. That will fix her from getting out. Or buy more fencing and run underground fence.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for her being hyper. Dogs, ecspecially young ones need exercise. If they dont get enough excersize they will become destructive to get your attention. Ever heard the phrase, Idle hands are the devils workshop? Im sure it applies to young dogs as well if they are bored.  Try taking her out for walks or jogs with you. She would love it im sure, getting to spend time with you, and running off some steam at the same time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re

Postby lola s » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Hang in there SP.  She'll get better.  I agree a `Kong' may be the best way to go as far as toys go for her.  My shepard had one as a puppy and she never touched another thing of mine.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#As far as her getting loose on you; have you considered a clothes line set up?  The one thing I've never been able to train into of my shepard is to come back as she's running up the drive way.  I also remember the first year with her was pretty rough compared to my old dog (a black lab).  While the lab chewed everything, she was very obedient.  This dog has always had a mind of her own and we've finally just learned to co-exist.  She's six now and she's just the nicest dog.   You'll get there with your puppy if you hang in. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just want to say one thing about invisible fencing (the Pet Safe brand anyway):  #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#awesome, awesome, awesome!#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It works just perfect.  We also have some puppy frustrations at times though things are getting better.  We had not one but two puppies (sisters) at once so it was a learning experience...  They are Boxers on top of it... most people dislike this type of dog just for the fact that they are sooooo very hyper.  Anyway, we got the invisible fencing for our girls and it was 100%.  We could leave them out for hours.  And the road we lived on was like a highway.  It took me a while before I could trust the whole system and the dogs but it works perfect - so long as you train the way they describe.  Once the dogs were trained, they wouldn't even go close to the boundaries.  There could be a cat, a dog, a guest, anything, and they would stay well behind the line and just bark.  The main part of the training is that they must NEVER cross that invisible boundary during the training.  Once they know that it can be crossed, you have problems.  The system is guaranteed to work if you do what they say.  The times you hear "it doesn't work for my dog" is because people didn't do the training and just let their dogs loose expecting them to know where the fence is.  Anyway, if you have more questions about that, pm me.  But I can assure you that wasn't a waste of money. (I'm speaking past tense because we moved and left the system for the person who bought so we don't  have it anymore but the dogs are better now)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for chewing - I know you may not like it but it sounds like your puppy needs to be in a crate.  It's not cruel, and they learn to want to be in there.  She can only be out when she is supervised.  Otherwise, in the crate.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It worked well for our two.  Between the two of them, they would chew plants, underwear, baseboards, an arm on the couch, garbage, books...  That didn't last long though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I did use a product called "bitter end" and it works but only for a short period of time.  It does eveporate so you always have to respray which I find is a pain.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Our little Boxer monsters are going to be 2 in December and all they ever chew now is garbage so we just keep it away from them.  Now if anyone has any tips on jumping on visitors, I could use some of those! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lix - first thing i'd do about the jumping on visitors, if have the visitors yell at the dog "no jumping" etc...perhaps if the dogs hear it from the people they are about to launch themselves onto, they won't do it? our guy used to jump on people, but we got him out of that quickly (him being 100 lbs and all!) by being extremley firm with him over that....mayeb to the point of being downright mean over it...but he got the idea & never does it anymore....in fact you can ask him to jump on you & he won't do it, he just looks at you like " but you told me not to, so i'm not doing it now."#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP - as for yours...crate time. i wouldn't leave my dog out all day, unless i'm there with him. i think that just asks for trouble. get a crate & a kong. like it or not, your pup needs to learn that her behaviour isn't acceptable whether you're home or not. when we first got our guy, he was 9 mths old, and we had a crate for him....we gave him a few days to adjust to the house & to see if he'd "do" anything undesireable. he didn't, so we rarely used the crate. thankfully he's never tried to eat the couch or teh cats, etc. give him a stuffed toy & yes, he'll tear it up & make a mess...but that i can handle.....i'd rather he tore up the toy than my couch or my bed, etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i would stop leaving her out all day & start crating her, get some bitter apple or fooey spray - same principle behind them both, and find her some fairly indestructable toys, like to kong or some tennis balls. i think giving her the stuffed toys only encourages her to keep chewing/shredding on whatever...my guy will shred a tennis ball, but it takes him a few days, not 5 mins as with a stuffed toy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby MacnRio » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP, my little guy (1.5 yrs old), is being a brat these days too.  He doesn't chew anything, but he has figured out how to open the back gate and crossed the highway!  I had a message from the neighbour that they had my dog (hes got a tag with his name, phone # and address). ARGH.  Before going across the road he went and ate all the catfood in the barn, and rummaged for any other food he could get into..... Then he ate the garbage across the highway.  He got out once since then..... but was back in when I got home and hadn't gotten into anything that I could see.  I am seriously considering putting up electric fencing to deter him from trying to get out..... muhahahaha. Rather zap him then have road kill puppy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My dogs are out 24/7, they HATE coming into the house. They have a doghouse in a fenced in area, access into the garage where their "beds" are and an insulated doghouse in the garage.  Bandit has a TON of toys, but there is NO toy he likes better then emptying the contents of the recycle bin ALL over the back yard - glass, cans, and of course plastic (that he has to chew to bits).  I let him do it, rather he destroy garbage then good stuff (like the shoes that are out there too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Obedience classes will help.  When I took two of my dogs to "puppy class" (same place) she was a HUGE advocate for crate training for their entire life.  Simply because it is safer for the dog. She told us a story of a dog that was taught the "trick" of getting its own cookie.  All fine and good, until it ate a box of bandaides - needed surgery.  A while later it ate an entire box of tampons - another surgery.  A third incident had a third surgery, they found coins, a film canister, a razor blade in the dogs stomach.  The dog, barely two, was put to sleep because the owners couldn't afford another surgery when it ate something it shouldn'tve again.  Crate training keeps them out of everything they shouldn't get into. I strongly agree with that thought.  They can't chew your good stuff if they don't hve access to it. And it is THEIR space.  If my dogs were still inside, they would be crated all day.  If Bandit keeps up his escaping, he will be crated when I'm not there (its in the garage).  The only reason I'm not crating now is I'm gone at 8am and not back until 5 - 5:30pm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kaleena » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with the crate idea. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As you know we just got our little girl and she will never be out of her crate unless supervised until she can be trusted not to destroy everything she can put her little teeth on. Being a lab we already know she will be in destruction mode for quite some time lol. Once is she house broken completely and is accustom to her crate we plan to give her just the kitchen when we aren't home and the crate as an option if she wants to sleep there, but thats only if she can show us that she isn't going to chew the table/chairs or cupboards when alone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kongs are also great. We have a large breed puppy version for Hannah, its a little softer and smaller, but still undestructable according to the makers. Once she starts eating her dog food regularly the kong will be her "crate" toy that she only gets when going in there while we are gone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing that was sugested to us, if you are going to go the crate route, is that don't just crate her when you are leaving. Crate them occationally when you are still going to be in the same room as them so that they don't associate the crate with being left alone for hours. We have already started this with our girl. Her crate is in the kitchen so she goes in their while we make and eat dinner, she crys a little, but then once she realizes we aren't going anywhere she settles and just watches.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway I hope things get better for you and your pup!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#bitter apple can work for some dogs but others like my dogs like the taste and will lick it off...  In my case I use a mix of water and  hot sauce and the dogs will not go close to it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for toys my guys love tearing them apart.  What I have done is braided a few of my old wraps together and it has become a great toy that they will play tug of war with and have not destroyed... yet.  Longs work great to, the best thing to make the stuff inside last longer is fill it with peanut butter or the spray in stuff and then freeze it for a day.  That makes it harder for them to get the stuff out and keeps them busier longer.  If I do not freeze it my dogs have the peanut butter out within 1 minute.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your dog is digging under the fence to get out something you could try is buying a few patio stones and putting them near the problem areas making it harder to dig through.  We did that to the whole perimitter of our back yard and the dogs have stopped trying.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree 1 is still puppy age and it is not until 2 -3 that they really do start to settle down.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dogs can be terrors but I love them!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Definitely a crate or a restricted room. I had one dog that wouldn't crate ( I mean, FORGET it), but I could lock her in the kitchen with baby gates and that worked. One other problem I had with her when I lived in a basement apt. in Hamilton was that she used to jump on the kitchen counters, this dog was about the size of a Border Collie BTW, once she accidently turned the stove on, thank goodness on low, oh, she broke my dishes if I left them in the dishrack.... She used to lay on top of the refrigerator and bark at people walking past. It's funny now, but back then, oh brother. She busted out the window a couple of times, for those of you in Hamilton I lived on Upper Wellington near Fennell and the first time someone found her over near Sanitorium! The second time she went up to my (now ex) boyfriend's house which is on the corner of Upper Wellington and Mohawk. But I loved that dog like a child.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, my story aside, restricting her did stop the chewing for the most part, she chewed off and on until she was 7, but I was lucky in that it was usually just plastic bags or magazines, she also did have something against Clive Barker, those were the only books she ever chewed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We also did the clothesline pulley thing when I lived with my parents - it works really well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well officially today she is 1 year old. Here are some updated pics of her. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://storage.msn.com/x1pS_X5krgLuFg-tyHrixw_1EtOmEXKABuDKWs7HjHFy47UfYKsw6yOfNnszAM2qZGynQmh8aitLRlLnDZIEeMOG7l1hpqSfCmUJDQPZbAqOBoFAywrO84lDJpMYVHhmQKylTWrfqkHThRhYOI6bbBXZw"#ed_cl#Cheeky Dizzy#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://storage.msn.com/x1pS_X5krgLuFg-tyHrixw_1EtOmEXKABuDKWs7HjHFy46jVjRM4A4eX6uwqMG8GzLDggTqzdYMr0dT0Ds590098Z-ejPEjj0ijV7VQxidCUoZhuxzQCnLTrr7wREOSw-XfypWtk1kz6q2bbS2yhr7LLQ"#ed_cl#Dizzy and Stick#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://storage.msn.com/x1pS_X5krgLuFg-tyHrixw_1EtOmEXKABuDKWs7HjHFy44zurKyTyDpSNMGvoZdg9RohFTT0AqV35g_7wVAte87n5wIpYInA4MVfgJttTORisuK5bgIqgT5l5SG4VhxlClBHJ9-AK-GOXAm_qqszentow"#ed_cl#Run Dizzy Run!#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://storage.msn.com/x1pS_X5krgLuFg-tyHrixw_1EtOmEXKABuDKWs7HjHFy46dQMPU-Z6pwlbmhCF-pcvBLS_HLpZ1Nrwlk--GyB0eKpwq4QB0gLPo5Xsq-spCh1ysfa_k6uiRiEWvtMgVwo7l_0C-3aC0yfkk-u517XNZ5g"#ed_cl#Dizzy and fence#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP she is so cute!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It takes a long time to train a dog and when they reach the age of 2 things start to sink in. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here are some ideas.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When the dog is outside tie up with chain. This way they can not chew through.Went through 2 nylon/rope tie ups before we used chain.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When taking dog for a walk try using a chain lead shank. The BF took one of my chain shanks after the dog chewed through 2 leashes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Confine the dog to a crate or a room when you are not there. My dog stayed in the kitchen until she was almost 4 years old, wheather we were home or not.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Be firm. Let the dog know when they are good and when bad. The tone of your voice says everything. Whinning and getting mad at a dog gets a person nowhere with the behaviour of a dog.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#While training if you are getting frustrated with something the dog isn't getting right, do something they are good at and stop.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just like with riding is not the quantity but the quality.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:40 pm

I am also a huge fan of using a crate. Dogs are quite often destructive when left alone because of separation anxiety. Being in a crate is safe and secure for them as well as your property.

As for jumping up on visitors - the usual reason is because they want attention. I used to teach my puppies that they only got attention if they had all feet on the ground. When they were tiny I would get down to their level when they were first let out of the crate or when I walked in the door. As they got older and bigger it was easy to bend down to greet them. If they did jump up I would use the word "Off" to have them get down. If they persisted I would put my knee up and have them jump into my knee. Doggie chest meeting bony knee wasn't a pleasant sensation for them. They very quickly get THAT message!!!
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP - dizzy is a cutie.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#SP I truly feel your pain.  I have a 1.5 year old 3/4 Lab 1/4 Border Collie that can be very excitable.  I figure this winter will be a good time to try something like agility with her a couple nights a weeks.  She is very smart but needs lots of running time.  Luckily she listens well so I can bring her to the farm.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Yesterday I had to go home at lunch time and get my son from school.  One of the volunteers found ONE live lice on his head, so I had to buzz him and wash his hair with NIX (joys of being a parent).  Anhoo, I get home to find that Shade had chewed one of Brandon's toys.  She doesn't do it often, but its still a PITA.  Well I told her she was a bad girl and she sulked for a bit - then she did the cutest thing.  She ran and got her bone and gave it to Brandon.  Lol I guess she thought that made up for eating one of his toys.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Emerald » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The joys of owning a puppy,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#* My Dalmation, (Rest his soul) would chew everything and anything. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A solid Silver Candle holder, The Remote control, digging holes in the carpet., Clothes, shoes.  One Christmas my girlfriend gave me a lovely Cream coloured blouse, not thinking much of it, when I got home late, taking it off left it beside the bed. In the morning , ALL the buttons were chewed off. This was typical for him. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#* My Great Dane (Rest her Soul) chewed the arms off of 2 sofas. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They grew out of the destroy all adolescent stage eventually, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dalmations want to always be puppies. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My Dane was emotional.     #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are many many fond memories of these loving pets. Your first dog, maybe you don't remember her going thru this . #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hang in there, I liked using the pennies in a tin can, and a water spray bottle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, when I mentioned that my Border Collie-sized dog (she was a Whippet X) used to jump on the kitchen counters, I meant right up on them walking around like a cat, not just counter-surfing. Grrr. It's funny now when I think back to walking in the door to see her standing on the kitchen counter - just not one of those things you expect to see! At the time it was not so entertaining though - I'm probably the only person who has ever had their dog throw up on top of the refrigerator.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge