Spike is going to Manitoba ~ UPDATE!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know horses that have gone to Florida from Ottawa and they just made sure they had enough water never gave them any oil and they were fine.  12 hours is a lot shorter trip then that so I think your horse should be OK.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:14 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#My horses have never had problem pooping in or out of the trailer so I never giving oiling a thought for travel.  I do offer water when I stop but most of the time they turn thier nose up at it.  It is the seasoned travelers that will take a drink fromthe trailer whether they are thirsty or not.  They have learned that they had better eat and drink when offered.  lol .  I am sure there will be no problem with the haul to Manitoba.  The only concern would be opening up the wound if she bumped it or something while in transit.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sorry that you have to give up your darling, but it's to the best possible place. I'm sure she'll get lots of love and miles on her. I'm happy for you that she's going to a good place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sure she'll travel well. Lots of horses make even longer trips and are fine. Your baby will be fine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:15 pm

I hauled all my horses from BC, out here. they all got lots of breaks, but no oil or such and seemed to do great.. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Spike should have a good trip, and it is a good time to haul.. lil cooler, but only a risk of snow..#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No oiling here...but make sure you don't wrap her. I've heard stories about long hauls where the horses got tangled in loose wraps and hurt themselves. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Eileen » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:39 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I agree about no wrapping, I never wrap my guys or blanket or feed while moving......and they have been on some long hauls...and never had a problem from any this routine.  Probably the longest time that I have had to keep a horse on the trailer was 36 hours maybe, that was fine....no problems.  The longest moving time with the horses on board was probably 16 - 18 hours...was not planned that way but it was storm and flood time and had to keep moving....again...no problems there.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby stronghold » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Spike arrived in Brandon on Friday evening about 8pm local time.  She had a smooth trip, but she refused to drink en route.  But she had several controlled drinks upon arrival, and a wet mash, and no problems.   She even recognized Emma!  Horses do remember everything, don't they?  Spike hadn't seen Em for about 4 years!   #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#I did end up wrapping her for the drive; because of the wound, I wanted to give the other legs support, especially because she didn't end up travelling alone.  She was in a stall instead of loose.  But upon arrival, Emma said the bandages looked like they had been put on five minutes before!  (I guess practice really does make perfect! LOL)  The wound was a bit weepy when she got of the trailer, but a quick scrub cleaned it up nicely.  I haven't heard from Emma since Friday, but I am going to call her tonight.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad to hear your baby made it safe &amp; sound!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope the next report is as positive.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is great that the ride there went so smoothly!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats on a safe and sound ride! :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear she arrived safe and sound!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's good to know that the trip went well! Hopefully Spike continues to do so. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby stronghold » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Spoke to Emma the other day, Spike is doing well, and her wound is healing nicely.&nbsp; A big chunck of dying skin fell off, and the rest is now looking better.&nbsp; Emma started working her in hand, and Spikey was feeling quite good.&nbsp; She has settled in to her new home, and seems happy.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is awesome Stronghold you must be so happy that you made this decision and things are going well!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:56 pm

That's great news. I'm glad that she is doing well.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:07 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#We are all glad to hear that Spike is doing so well in her new home Mrs S.&nbsp; But I am sure you are the one that must be so relieved that Spike is happy and doing so well in her new digs.&nbsp; You have got to know that you did the right thing for her.&nbsp; #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Previous

Return to The Lounge