Spike is going to Manitoba ~ UPDATE!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Spike is going to Manitoba ~ UPDATE!

Postby stronghold » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Because of my pregnancy, I had come to the realization that I just don't have time for her right now.  I mean, since I had so little time and energy when I had William, what made me think it would get better/easier with a second baby?  So, after a lot of soul searching and tears (especially with me having to put Floppy down so recently) I decided that it was time for her to move on.  It was breaking my heart, because I bred Spike for me, and I wanted to have at least one foal from her too.  You know, keep the line alive and in the family.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#So I talked to some folks around who had previously expressed interest, but nothing was panning out, and the market has just tanked around here for horses like Spike, so I wasn't going to be able to get much out of it without spending a lot of money.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Then out of the blue, Emma,one of my best friends whom I haven't spoken with in a long time calls me.  We get talking, and she tells me that she's started looking at horses after years of not being able to think about doing so.  Long story short, she will take care of Spike, ride her, train her, show her, maybe even breed her, until I am able to take her back.  Emma is the one person in the world that I trust implicitly with my horse, she was there shortly after Spike was born and helped imprint her; she was there with me through the whole ordeal with the stillborn twins two years before that; she showed Floppy, she was the second person ever to throw a leg over Spike's back; you name it, she was there for so much of my horsey life.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#And for years, Emma had wanted a sibling of Spikey's, but for reasons of life was never able to get it together.  And in her recent horse hunt she has not found a single horse that gave her "that feeling" that Spike and her relatives did.  So this has worked out for both of us.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#And, as luck would have it, a friend of a friend is headed out that way next week with an empty trailer, and will take Spike to Emma for cheap!  Otherwise we would have to do some creative thinking to get her out there.  (Visions of Spike hitched to tack trunk on wheels being driven across the prairies...)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Now I don't have to feel guilty for having a nice horse that is doing nothing, not to mention no bills while she gets the full care and attention that she deserves.  And my friend gets the horse of her dreams.  And best of all, Spike is still mine, and perhaps when my kids are ready for school, and I get more time/money, I will be able to have a foal out of her to start working with.  I have possibilities that only three nights ago, were not there at all.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#I love happy endings...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by stronghold on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kinda makes you believe in "fate", doesn't it? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/1.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; I'm glad you were able to find a win-win solution, that's great!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats perfect. It would be nice if all of us had that wonderful reserve for our horsey friends when life is too busy for them. I'm glad things worked out so perfectly for you! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby rubberman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is nice when a plan comes together.&nbsp; This is kind of like having your cake and eating it too. I am glad that everything worked out for you and Spike.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Isn't it lovely when everything falls into place?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SH - that's great!! i knoe how much you love &amp; adore spike...so it must have beena&nbsp; hard decision, but fate was smiling on you clearly! lucky you to have found literally the one person whom you would trust with your babe.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad your friend called when she did!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Eileen » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:45 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#That is great news Mrs S.&nbsp;&nbsp; If you are patient enough...things will work out.&nbsp; Congrats on finding the best home for Spike,&nbsp; #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey that's fantastic, you couldn't ask for a better situation.&nbsp; Hope Spike's trip to Manitoba goes well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is awesome#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Things really do work out the way they are meant to!! I am SO happy for you, what a relief and something great to look forward to.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That sounds great. It really is a great scenario for all. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's awesome! Glad Spike found a good home for the time being.&nbsp; And in Manitoba of all places! A great province (oh I'm not biased), a lot of fine people here ya know!&nbsp; So where abouts in Mb is she going to be staying?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok so where in our fair( and slightly chilly at the moment) province is Spike coming??? there are a few of us out here that of course like to know of any new "blood" sneaking in;) fill us in m'dear.. and so glad that all has worked out so far!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's great. Good luck.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby stronghold » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Update:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Stupid horse ran into a fence, and her trip may have to be postponed.&nbsp; But I&nbsp;haven't seen the wound.&nbsp; I will reserve judgement until I see it.&nbsp; Vets tend to give worst case scenario.&nbsp; The lady who has her right now called the vet first (GRRRR!) instead of calling me, so now we have another vet bill.&nbsp; Dollars to donuts, I would have not needed to get a vet out.&nbsp; I have dealt with a lot of serious injuries, and this one was said to be not serious, just inconvienient.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Anyway, the vet said she may not be able to travel Wednesday as planned.&nbsp; We shall see.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#When she does go, she's going to the Brandon area.&nbsp; Where are all you Manitobans?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well right now i live in the far SE corner of MB, but i'm up closer to Brandon quite a bit because i have a sister up that way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby taco2 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm about 1 1/2 hours west of Brandon.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Love the Brandon area, very nice scenery and even nicer people!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby stronghold » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Well, I'm going to give my friend the EC addy, so she can join in and keep us all updated on Spikey's progress, as well as maybe sometime meet up with you other Manatobans.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#I've seen the wound a few times now, and while it looks pretty nasty, it is just a flesh wound and it will heal.&nbsp; Unfortunately it couldn't be stitched, due to location (inner stifle and thigh) and drainage concerns, but she's not even getting any antibiotics, and the swelling is way down.&nbsp; She can move on it, although she&nbsp;is reluctant to take big lateral steps.&nbsp; I may give her some bute for the trip, and the guy hauling her said he will check her regularly and bute her again if needed.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#But it looks like she will be leaving on Thursday morning now.&nbsp; She gets to haul loose in a big stock trailer, so she'll have lots of room for the long trip.&nbsp; I plan to give her a big sloppy bran mash with electrolytes&nbsp;before she leaves, but I'm not sure about oiling her.&nbsp; I've never needed to do that before on long trips.&nbsp; Anyone else have any input on this?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Floppy"

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad to hear that the cut is not that bad.&nbsp; I have never heard of oiling for trips, what is it supposed to do?&nbsp; How long is the trip supposed to take?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby stronghold » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#It's about 12 hours from here to there.&nbsp; It used to be the thing to do, giving a medium sized dose of mineral oil before a long haul, to help keep the bowels moving.&nbsp; But I've always been of the mind that if they have lots of water breaks, so they don't dehydrate, that is the big thing.&nbsp; I was just wondering what the current wisdom on the subject was...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Floppy"

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge