searching for a dog coat for winter

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

searching for a dog coat for winter

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok guys...i've decided, due to last years freezing days...my pooch needs a coat, and booots, but that's another matter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so.....1. where to find them (greenhawks, yes......)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2. how do you size them...as in what do you measure? and don't say just like the horses, because in all honesty, i've not had to measure a horse to see what size blaknet it needs.....so his length? across his chest? his "girth"?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i want a tough durable winter coat for him, nothing too fifi or fru fru...he's a rottie/dobe, so he doesn't need a little red sweater with terriers on it...he needs a durable manly coat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#now about boots (or booties!!)....any recommendations on which ones? anyone prefer some over others? styles? etc?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i've decided it's time to baby him a bit.......he's even going to get a doggie bed this year, instead of sleeping on an old blanket on the floor - lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby horsemad! » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Most pet supply stores (Super Pet, Pet Value, etc.) have doggie coats.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Metro Hound (in the Beaches) has some kick arse nice ones, but they’re not inexpensive.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I still find the best value for your money in doggie coats is at the tack stores (go figure)… and Greenhawk has the nice plaid Shedrow ones that look like Baker plaid.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Very handsome!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#For measuring, you measure from the back of the neck to the base of the tail, I believe. #ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#My dogs won’t wear boots, but I’ve heard good things about Muttlucks.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I know you can get ‘em at PetValue (and most other pet supply stores).#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#They run $45/set for Aussie sized boots – not sure if they’d be more dear for your big dog.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Muttlucks were used for the rescue dogs at ground zero after 9/11.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I got two very nice dog beds for not too much money at Homesense.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Of course I also got a Baker bed from Metro hound for my little princess… to the tune of $275!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I couldn’t resist, though… that and the Baker plaid collapsible travel dish.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol HM.....yes, i'm looking for decent quality stuff. i've seen the coats that greenhawks has......heard they are just as good quality as the horse blankets.......i hope they are, because it's a decent price.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#now the boots...i've heard about muttlucks....they look good.......i dunno if my guy will wear them either...he hates his halti, but he's got such sensitive feet in the winter, between the salt, the ice & the hard crunchy snow....he cuts up the pads on his feet at least once or twice a week & sits there licking his wounds for days, so i feel bad for the guy, & just want to try to make him more comfy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd check out Petsmart for the booties staff tend to be fairly knowledgable about what works for the dogs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got my doggie blanket at Greenhawk and it is lasting quite well with my dogs.  I did it by eye to measure.  I brought my dog in the car and left him there then when looking at the blankets I asked if I could take one out to see if it fit alright they actually let me bring him in and size him right in the store which is a lot better then just trying to measure and size.  If you want to measure I think you go from the midlle of the chest along the side to the bum.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby horsemad! » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Oh!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I almost forgot… there’s the most excellent dog store on the Danforth… just east of Broadview on the north side.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I can’t remember the name, but they fitted my dogs for collars and were totally patient in trying to find just the right collar for each of the dogs.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I prefer little independents like that over the big superstores… better service and you’re supporting a local entrepreneur.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby GoDDeSSofWiNgS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL not to toot my own horn but Walmart has doggie coats and booties.  Good price.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Woodbine = Heaven

Barbaro: We will never know and that will always pain us most
GoDDeSSofWiNgS
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Walmart has them? I don't think I need one for my dog, but good to know!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yep  GoW - i know walmart has them......greenhawk has the one i like for $30, figure that's a good price......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HM -  i can't even think of the place you're talking about........i know there is a ton of those little independants in T.O...it's quite the dog city now!! there used to be a great place by bloor & keele st too, but that's even further than greenhawks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sadly right now, ebay onnly has XS sizes for muttluks.....but i liked those boots when i saw them in the store....petsmart didn't seem to have bad prices for them either.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I made my Dobe's coat for her 2 years ago and she still wears it! I just bought 1 of those $5 fleese blankets from Wal-mart, folded it in 2 laid it across my pup and, with a marker, traced the outline that I wanted. It's sewed up front, so it's a pull over and the extra cloth you can use for the "girth". A large button works great. Also all the edges are sewed shut. I find that just the double fleese works great, but can always add an inner layer if wanted/needed. As for booties, I bought a set($20) for my Dobe(again cause she gets so cold in the winter) and they are so simple I'll make them when they wear out. All they are is a fleese pocket with velcro to tighten and a small fake leather patch on the bottom. Plus the fact that they can get out of them and if you spend $50 on a pair of dog booties that they are going to ruin/lose it's much cheaper to make them your self!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#megan - i have no skills when it comes to DIY. i can paint, i can draw, i can fix things.....sewing is not my forte!!! i can do buttons & seams, that's about it....patterns & using a machine - no way!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#belive eme, it'll be faster & cheaper (for me) to buy them somewhere!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a nice dog coat available but I think it would be just a little small for a Rottie.  It fit my 50 lb lab mix quite well.  Shame, it's a good one.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just a thought, is your dog a male?  If so, don't get the criss-cross straps, that's why I ended up with this one!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol tbbrat - he's a fixed male......and he's about 100 lbs, so the coat is probabaly too small....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and the one i've seen & liked is one large "girth "strap basically.......no criss cross#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually BT the coat is all just an edge seam and 1 large button!! Trust me sewing is not my forte either! I usually pay someone else to sew my stuff for me, but the coat is just too easy to make!! If you don't want to try it then maybe someone else will read this and try it so I'm going to put it down anyways.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Buy the cheap $5 fleese blanket from wal-mart(they have several colour to choose from).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Fold blanket in 1/2 once.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Call dog over and have him/her stand.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Place folded edge against the back of his/her neck and let the rest of the blanket drape over the back of the dog.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Use a marker and mark where you want to trim(the butt area and 1/2 down his/her femur).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let dog go and cut off excess blanket, and volia! You have a very simple pattern!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sew edges shut.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Call dog back over and find the spot where you want your button to go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sew botton on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I was lazy and just cut a slit on the other side of the blanket, but you could try to make a girth for dog.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sew the front of blanket(where dogs chest is) closed and volia!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#slide blanket over dog's head, do up your botton and take puppy for a walk!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This took me only an hour to do and I had to fight with a dog that wanted nothing to do with the blanket and kept on lying down!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby horsemad! » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Don’t forget, Megan, BT lives in the city *shudder* so it’s very important that her dog is not only warm, but also #ed_op#U#ed_cl#fashionable#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#He’d get laughed off the streets by his doggie peers for wearing a mommy-made coat!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I actually had my mum make a fleece coat for my dearly departed Bull Terrier.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#It was OK, but his store bought coats were much more trendy and fit much better!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Of course he was a city dog too… so looks were very important.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#RIP old man.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:58 pm

Megan Ball wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Call dog over and have him/her stand.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Call dog back over and find the spot where you want your button to go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO - you've never met my dog!!! he won't stand for anything, he's all go!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BT lives in the city *shudder* so it’s very important that her dog is not only warm, but also #ed_op#U#ed_cl#fashionable#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#He’d get laughed off the streets by his doggie peers for wearing a mommy-made coat!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO again....1. i could never make a coat, i have a hard enough time sewing a button back on! 2. i'd rather he was warm than fashionable...it'll matter to hubby though...he won't even let me get a bandanna for the dog!! and i even said we'd get a harley davidson one!! 3. my dog doesn't have any friends, he's a loner guy, all the other neighboourhood dogs won't play with him (their owners are scared of my guy!) and 4. *shudder* as well...i hate being in the city, lol! at least i'm not downtown anymore.....i'd have to carry a 100 lb dog around in a little shoulder bag with a fuzzy toque on his head & matching scarf!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Puh-leeze, BT.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Doggie bandanas are #ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#so#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# yesterday!#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/13.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well...i'm a child of the 80's - what can i say?#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Thank goodness Mr. BT has the good sense not to let you dress your doggy up in the canine version of acid wash jeans and Final-Netted-to-the-max tall bangs!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO HM...even i have the sense not to do that to the poor pooch!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so i measured the big dope.......he's needs everything huge, as if i didn't know.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#he'll need large booties (4" feet, from heel to end of nail)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and blanket......28" from neck to start of tail, 9" wide chest, 14" "girth" (top of back to bottom of belly, right behind his front leg), 29" side (from chest to bum) - yep - he's a big guy!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so i like the blanket at greenhawks for $30, and will have to check out how much the muttlucks are......i checked ebay, but the size he needs is going for a lot, so i'll keep checking around.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby gibbs » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:11 pm

My lil dog is quite spoiled so I know a LOT about coats.....I've tried
pretty much every brand out there and by far the best one so far has
been the Weetherbeeta brand....it washes well and fits so much nicer
then the Shedrow ones (have a couple of those too and I do like
them...just not as much).  What I really liked about the
Weetherbeeta one is the belly strap is adjustable just like the horse
belly straps.....I like it....of course I don't like the colour much
(violet....my dogs a boy but got it at a good price).   But I
did have a coat/rain sheet custom made for him from our blanket lady
and....it's awesome...you can pick whatever colour you want and it's
all lined in fleece...and she only charge me $20....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#