Terrible Cat Problems..Ugh

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Terrible Cat Problems..Ugh

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The history--Mr.GS's ex brought home two kittens against Mr.GS's will (about 4 years ago) and when she left the cats stayed. In my opinion he should call her up and have her come get them. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The problem--They are terrors. Scratch up everything, keep me up at night, get into my armoir and sleep on my clothes, get into the cupboards and drawers, egg the dog on and Mr.GS feeds them on the counter!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am really fed up with them...it seems I haven't had a night where they haven't woke me up, and irritated me. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is one of the things we argue most about. He likes them enough, I hate them, but he won't give them away or do anything about it. Am I within my rights for an altimatum? I feel if we have a baby eventually that the cats will be in the crib with him/her!!! I really really do not enjoy having these furry, loud, destructive felines in my life. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They won't make good outdoor cats. One of them was completely traumatized and hid for days after we moved. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any advice? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby horsemad! » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Sounds to me like you’ve got a hate on for the cats because they belonged to the former Mrs. GS.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Cats aren’t like dogs.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#They do stuff their own way and they’re hard to train… hard, but not impossible.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Don’t leave your armoir open and they won’t be able to go in there.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Ditto cupboards and drawers.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Don’t leave the #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#future#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# baby’s door open and they won’t be able to go into the crib (really, though... cross that bridge when you come to it - if you come to it).#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Play with them before bed to tire them out.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Trim their nails so they’re less destructive.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#They’re just being cats… albeit the former Mrs. GS’s cats.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#And if worse comes to worst, didn’t you just move to a farm?#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Could they live in the barn???#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#As for feeding on the counter – as much as I hate it, sometimes it’s the only choice.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#If my cat didn’t get his meals on the counter, the dogs would eat up the cat food when our backs were turned.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pawsnhooves » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, are you having small animal troubles these days or what!!!  Cats are wonderful pets,  but they are not dogs and if you cannot live with them and they are causing arguements, you either have to find a way to change the things you absolutely cannot live with or find them a good home (which with cats is no easy feat).  You both have to be on the same page with what is allowed and what is not, otherwise, just like in dog training, riding, or as my friends explain, child rearing, it is not going to work.  If you decide to keep them and work on them as a team buy this book "Good Owners, Great Cats" by Brian Kilcommons...it is my cat bible.  Also, make sure you trim their nails and have something in your home that they can scratch so they avoid your furntiture, this will also keep your dog's eyes out of harms way.   As for the fear that they will harm future children by sleeping in the crib, this is an overrated danger.  If the cats have a bed that they love, they will avoid other areas.  There is a magneto therapy bed that I bought at PetSmart, not too expensive.  It is a small white round bed, each of my cats has one and they are addicted to it, best investment in cat paraphernalia that I have ever made.  They are drawn to it and choose to sleep there over any other place. Tell Mr. GS, no more feeding them on the counter,  how can they be expected to be good cats if he encourages bad behavior.  In the end, they will still go to places that you don't want them to go and do things that drive you nuts, but that is the beauty of cats.  Trust me, if you keep them, you have to find a way to love them, or it just will not work.  This is from someone who lives with 6 in the house and two in the barn, so I have a bit of experience.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.-Mahatma Gandhi
pawsnhooves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not a cat lover so I sympathise.  But....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can definitely not give Mr.GS an ultimatum.  If he likes the cats and enjoys them, and they are already there, then you just have to find a way to live with them.  You wouldn't take it well if he said "I don't like the horse, he takes up all our time, money, and he stinks.  I want you to get rid of him".  You see what I mean.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since these cats are a nuissance to you, maybe find a compromise.  Ie. they are only allowed in a certain area of the house, he must feed them, etc.  Compromise = okay. Ultimatum = not okay.  He would eventually resent you for making him give them away. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#JMHO ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby sugar » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are setup with your own farm, I would put them outside in a box stall, with a litter box, toys and haybales for a bed and climbing tower play area.  Leave the radio on and leave them like that for awhile, feeding them with an all they can eat feeder and waterer.  Then I would let them out after they have spent a week in there and leave them the run of the barn, later allwing them outside as well.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They will adapt!  Every cat I have is a "problem cat" from the city and they have all adapted well enough to survive and appear happy.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby moongirl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have to feed ours on the counter too.. well, the breakfast nook (which we don't eat at or use for food prep at all!!) or the dogs would have it gone in .5 seconds.  This irks the hell out of me and I recently told mr.moon that if he won't let me put the cats food in the basement with the litter (amazingly enough, the dogs can get through the kitty door to the basement so it wouldn't really work anyway..) that we need to buy or build them their own side table thingy for just this purpose.  If we build one, it can be made not only to look really cool and be put out of the way somewhere but also end up as a decent display piece.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We also trim our cats nails (having 9 of them in the house - this is no easy task) and it sure cuts down on the destruction.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for waking you up in the night, keep some toys that they really like and scatter them around before you go to bed.  They will likely play with them once all is quiet and the lights are out to the point of tiring themselves out quite quickly.  We have found that they like these crispy mice thingys the most and the noise isn't enough to be heard from the bedroom.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep the cats if you can, there aren't enough homes for them out there and as much as they bug you, I am sure that they love you.  :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to say that we don't use the counter where the cats eat AND I am constantly sanitizing it!  ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by moongirl on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
They're magically delicious!
moongirl
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok First of all you have to sit your hubby down for a chat! Not an arguement and just tell him plain out that the cats must go! They are cats for crying out loud!! They shouldn't be the cause of many arguements!! I gave up most of my beloved ferrets because they were stressing hubby out. There was no long thought about it! It was the ferrets or hubby that was going, and I love my hubby more then the ferrets, so guess what left!!?? Also, who cleans the litter?? It better be your hubby!! Cat urine is dangerous for a fetus!! Also, they are on the counters!! EEeewwwww!! They step in litter that has pi**  residew in it and then track it all over your counters that you prepare food on!! Disgusting!!! Time for kitties to go!!! You've got the barn now right? Thats where they belong! Trust me the cats will survive in the barn nicely!! Many cats have done it. I love animals, and treat mine really well, but they are still animals, not people, and therefore don't have all of the same rights we do. It's time for hubby to choose... your stress level(especially being preggers) or kitties being indoors? Not a hard decision in my books, but it's up to you guys to talk it out! JMO! Good luck!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby pawsnhooves » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As a bit of an add on to my first post regarding this.  Remember, an ultimatum is always risky.  The first Mr. pawsnhooves once told me, "its me or the cats", and I helped him pack his bags.  It was the last straw in a long line of things but still, compromise is always the best choice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.-Mahatma Gandhi
pawsnhooves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Um, Megan, GS is not pregnant, although she might get that way in the future.  It's not an immediate concern.  I dunno... I feel pets are a responsibility that we take on for life.  We don't just get rid of them because they're inconvenient.  What kind of relationship would it be if GS tells Mr. GS "the cats have to go" but she gets to keep her horse(s) and dog???  A little one sided, methinks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Megan, Gracie is not pregnant YET...and cat urine is NOT dangerous to fetuses.  You need to get your facts straight.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going through a similar thing with my spouse and my two cats right now.  They are not as destructive as Gracie's cats...my hubby is just tired of cleaning up after them.  And, my female cat occasionally, for whatever reason, "turns" on my hubby and attacks him.  Nothing serious, she just kinda jumps at him.  So, he wants them gone.  We've had both these cats for going on 10 years now, and I keep telling him that you can't just get rid of a pet when it becomes inconvenient to care for them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that in Gracie's case, like Horsemad said, it's not so much that the cats are THERE as it is that these cats are the hubby's ex's.  Cats are not dogs.  They basically go wherever they want to, and you can't train them like you can a dog.  My cats never, EVER go on any surfaces where we eat or prepare food.  I agree...that is just GROSS and VERY unsanitary.  So, the first thing you need to do, Gracie, is get your hubby to put a stop to that behaviour.  Feed them in a separate room, where you can keep the dog OUT.  And when you catch them up on your counters, punish them so that they learn to stay down (squirting them with a water bottle works well).  It'll take awhile for them to learn this new rule, since they've been allowed to go up on the counters up to this point.  Be patient though and they will eventually get it.  Make sure to NEVER leave food out as this will just entice them to jump up.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as them getting into things, keep cupboards and drawers closed so that they can't get in.  Buy them a scratching post and teach them that THAT is where they are allowed to scratch.  If you catch them scratching your furniture, again, punish them, and take them to the scratching post.  They will eventually learn.  They are not totally untrainable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as them keeping you awake at night, make sure they have food before you go to bed.  Ours sleep all night and only wake us up in the mornings, when they are ready to eat again.  Play with them before you go to bed, to tire them out.  Keep in mind though, that cats are nocturnal, so it's natural for them to wander around at night.  I've gotten used to "tuning them out" and just roll over and go back to sleep.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Above all, try to change your attitude about them.  Your hubby obviously enjoys them but it sounds as though you really haven't put much of an effort into trying to make them a part of your family.  For his sake, you should at least try, and if you just can't get used to having them in the house, then turn them into barn-cats LOL!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby MacnRio » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have 3 house cats, 5 barn cats (one was a barn cat of my exes that moved to the city and she much prefers the house!). The barn cats came with the place and stay there, my 3 have a cat door that they can come and go as they please.  I find that in the winter when they are couped up inside (god forbid paws touch the snow!) they tend to be wired.... But with access to outside, they burn off a lot of their energy out there.  I had a cat door in the city, when I moved to the farm it took a few weeks to get the cat door in and they drove me NUTS!  The other bonus to them going in and out as they please is they use the litter box less ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have balls of crumpled paper everywhere in my house, and cat toys...... And there are times they go NUTS zooming after them - or eachother - in the house, even using my bed (with me in it) as a landing strip..... But they tire quickly.  Once on the bed they would much rather snuggle into me then run around. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the food, it is in the computer room, up on a filing cabinet.  My cats catch holy crap for being on the counter or table! Heck, why not put their food up on the washer or dryer?  There are lots of places you can get the food up off the ground without it having to be on a table!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I trim my guy's claws on a regular basis, but they also have a scratching post and know to use it to scratch (if they dont go outside and use fenceposts). Now, my one cat has taken to picking at the carpet... argh... but if I catch him he gets a flick on the ear (he hates that) and a stern yell at (I know, you cant train a cat), he knows I'm peeved. Has he stopped?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS, if your out on a farm, let them outside! There is so much area for them to roam, and things to find, it will tire them out! They may also find that sleeping in stacked hay/straw is very cosy ;)  Cat doors are relatively inexpensive, and save you the hassle of being a revolving door opener. And, you could put their food out in the barn, or on a shelf in the garage....  I was going to put my cats litter boxes in the garage, but the dogs have access to the garage and they think cat turds are a special treat :S.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think an ultimatum is fair, for the same reasons other suggested.... But try a compromise.  Cats do just fine outside.  I live on a main highway, and yes I'm afraid they will get squished but they want out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Today, it seems, horsemad! and Chenders share a brain! #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Emerald » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry, I just had this really twisted idea, lol,   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bring home another bigger, badder cat. Maybe even a Tom, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/14.gif"#ed_cl# Put the other little beasts in line. !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kind of like, if she could do it , Why can't I.  !!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're not sleeping already so what difference would it make?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby babytigger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:02 am

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Today, it seems, horsemad! and Chenders share a brain! #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it's a three way split!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1. stop mr GS feeding cats on the counter. my 3 cats aren't allowed up there at all, the get major crap if i catch them up there. same rule applies to any tables. couch fine, tables/countertop - not fine. they get sprayed with a water bottle or pushed off rather rudely. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2. as for the cat food situation & where to put it......cats are tough, tougher than dogs...put it on the floor, and if the dog tries to eat it, give her crap. my cats food & water is right beside the dogs food & water. he may look, but he doesn't touch. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3. cut their claws, get a scatching post, or a cardboard box ( my older cat loves those!) for them to scratch....put it somewhere else in the house, and if you catch them "destroying" what they shouldn't, spray'em with the water bottle & take them to the scratching post/cardboard. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#4. toys, lots of toys, cat nip pouches...all keep cats busy, as do other cats. my younger two constantly play all the time, but they settle down when they see we are sleeping, in fact they routinely go to bed with the kids, and will get up about 11pm, but go back to bed by midnight.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#5. who says you can't train a cat? that is false. cat's can be trained, but they are far more independant than those goofy canines, so while the dog says "what can I do for you? lemme help you! lemme do it!" the cat says "so what? you want me to do what? get real!". they just tke more patience to train, but it's worth it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#6. don't tell mrGS he has to get rid of the cats, as much as you hate them.....everytime hubby tells me the cats have to go, i show him the door. i'll pick my cats over him anyday. you shouldn't have to give something up for someone you love (unless it's killing them!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#7. cat urine is fine - it's cat poop that contains dangerous bacteria to pregnant woman & unborn babies. so anyone thinking of having a baby - get your guy in the habit of doing the cat litter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby chenders01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:19 am

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#7. cat urine is fine - it's cat poop that contains dangerous bacteria to pregnant woman & unborn babies. so anyone thinking of having a baby - get your guy in the habit of doing the cat litter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is only for outdoor cats, who pick up this bacteria when they go outside (from other cats).  Indoor cats are not a problem.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But...you don't have to tell the hubby that.  Who wants to be stooping down to clean out a litterbox when your belly is out to THERE anyways #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/14.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:22 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#One thought....have you ever toyed with the idea of taking the cats back to the X?#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#If this not an option, I vote for outdoors, there has to be a garage, barn other out buildings on your farm...I am sure that there is room for a couple of cats in one of those buildings.  If they are out side...then all the other problems are solved...no cutting of claws, not feeding on counter top, no waking you up at all hours and getting in your face. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The barn would be an excellent place to keep the kitties, look at the mouse and rat population that would decrease#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you can't see putting the little darllings outside...what about a permenant sleeping and eating area downstairs in the basement?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No Basement ? well then the laundry room or back entrance, den what ever room can be closed up and cat proof .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is a solution to this little problem, the two adults in the house have to come to some sort of agreement is all.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have a meeting and talk it over...what is acceptable and what cannot be done....good luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd better jump in here. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I myself (thats me!) trim the cats nails on a regular basis..they have toys, are well played with and I do keep my armoir shut, along with everything else. I don't want to ruin my landlords cabinets with screws for the baby locks just so they can't get in there. They are free fed, and have tons of room, companionship, etc etc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I keep telling Mr.GS that he should call his ex. She's moving into a new apartment with no dogs (that was why she couldn't take them before, her mother had a dog that was violent towards cats) and I think she's able to take them. I think deep down they annoy him too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have my spray bottle, I have spent hours with them trying to re-educate them. Its just so frustrating I feel like crying sometimes. I hate to see my nice things put away in closets and my house completely changed just for the cats. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feel like I've been accomadating, I've tried to like them, but I honestly can't afford to replace furniture and outfit my house just for two cats that Mr.GS didn't want in the first place. I just feel like I'm at a standstill. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And for the record, the dog is his. He wanted her, and chose the breed, and I enjoy her and love her. He enjoys the horse and loves him. When money has been tight, I've offered to sell him and part-board, and he won't entertain the idea. So I've gone down that avenue. He wants to get a parrot next year, an African Grey. Its supposed to be our pet. But I honestly can't trust the cats, and don't want to lock another pet up. Its bad enough between the dog and the cats. The dog is friendly with them, and ignores them, but the cats torment the dog and she's always covered in scratches on her nose and legs because they ambush her. She's just too placid to say enoughs enough. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I'm again at a standstill. I've sat down and talked, and to no avail. He gets frustrated, and he won't contact his ex, so I don't know what to do. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As mentioned, one of them would be a good outdoor cat. The second one, I am convinced would hide somewhere and never come out. The barn isn't set up yet to have them in a stall. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll probably bring it up again tonight, but I'm so frazzled from work today, it might come out wrong. I think maybe if I wrote him a letter he would see the importance of it? What do you think? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Eileen » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:25 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I'm sorry, I just don't get it...."your barn is not set up yet to have them in a stall"   A cat does not need a stall....one little corner of the barn or garage would do nicely....they will find their own nest or make one...let them do their thing...they will proabably ignore the corner that you give them anyway.  A cat is pretty flexible...the one that would probably hide...will eventually come out of hiding...I have seen it done many times here....it will work...let them out...start out for a few hours a day if they  have not yet been outdoors at this particular place...it does not take them long to familiarize themselves with their surroundings.  The two of them will be a plus for the scardy cat one....#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I once was told by the owner of a cat that she did not like and was going to have it shot...that there is no way that her cat would survive at my place because she once let her cousin next door keep it..and the cat stayed up in the rafters for days and she had to go and get it down....helllooooo if she didnt like the cat why bother. and why question whether it would survive at my place...any way I brought the cat home with me...a house cat by the way...and put it in the tack room in the barn....then let it out into the barn for the day then left the tack door open for another few days...the locked her out of the tack room...that was like 10 years ago or so....and she is still here...and rules the barn with an iron claw.  So....really, the cats will survive outside winter and summer...try it...#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby MacnRio » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eileen, was that the orange cat that sucked up to me, hoping for some of my dinner?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I came to say pretty much exactly what Eileen said.. KICK EM OUT!  If he won't call his ex then kick them outside.  Don't let them inside when you open doors and they will eventually "get it". As for the hiding cat, I bet it will do better outside. And, I can bet, that when it gets hungry, it will come out of hiding.  But the temptation to explore will probably be too much.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heck, I got 5 cats with the barn when I moved. One of them is an absolute suck, one lets you pet her and will sit near you, but is still weary, another one will run, but not out of sight and the other two you only see at a far far distance.  All were friendly with the previous owner.  I feed them in the tack room in the barn.  I have NO idea where the 3 that won't come near me spend their time,b ut I do know the cat food disappears and they look healthy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Many cats survive in the wild, they will adapt.  I had 2 city cats and they both were out in the barn within hours of moving.. Catch them out there all the time. The ex-barn cat was the last one to venture outside! lol But now I catch her in the barn all the time...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As everyone says, cats are independent, they will adapt, and very quickly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, just to make some things clear, I did say to put kitties in the barn. They will do good there! And as for the cat pee coment-you're right it's the cat poo!! Sorry, my bad!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl# I knew it was something about the kittie litter!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley29.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But yeah, I've put a kittie in the barn before after she started to pee on people's clothes! Gross!! She did fine out in the barn. But I would definatly talk with hubby about this first!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Next

Return to The Lounge