Help!! A strange question..school assignment.

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Help!! A strange question..school assignment.

Postby Hev339 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:01 am

For one of my classes I have to research a publicly traded sports organization. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Problem is, every time I email the professor with my topic, it's already been taken. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So, I was thinking, I guarantee no one would have taken an organization in the horse industry. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
SECOND problem: I can't think of any publicly traded organizations related to the horse industry. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If anyone has any suggestions, you're saving me! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm....i dunno....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#possibly a major feed distributor might be? purina for example.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#or a major insurance company? what about HEP? or whoever provide that coverage....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#possibly some of the major comoanies that own racehorses (stronach's company...what is it called? magna?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby draftdriver » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:12 pm

What about drug companies? Some that make rabies vaccines must be big enough to be publicly traded.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BarnBratCSA » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gonna agreew ith everyone else... I know that a lot of racehorses here in the US are syndicated and probably publicly traded, and I'm sure a grug co would be - i'd bet that Pfizer is, for sure....  good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Emerald » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Hev, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try picking up a Horse Sports Mag or something, contact the advertiser's , Vet's could tell you their Supplier's #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ian Millars horse , PROMISE ME,  horse's name, I distinctively remember, on the "Spruce Meadows" TV, Spots, he talks about making phone calls to get the funds together to purchase this lad. If I think about it I can come up with a couple  more. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Waterford Crystal, (I think).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And a Lot of Dressage Horses are owned by a "Group" as they are Soo Expensive. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And not only Thrb's but Standard Breds as well. There was Grey "Admiral something or other". When there was not much on the Satelite I used to watch the Racing channel to satisfy my Equine obsession. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ps. I may soon have a REALLY AWESOME Picture of Q & Preston, taken by Property Owner's sister, a professional photographer on Monday. (saw it on the Digital).#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Syndicates that own an expensive horse will not necessarily be publicly traded - they are usually a group of individuals who form a syndicate to purchase the horse as an investment. It is worth looking into, but I would explore the racehorse angle first. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would look along the lines of drug companies such as Fort Dodge/Wyeth Animal Health, or as someone else mentioned Pfizer. However I don't know that those companies would qualify as publicly traded sports organizations. If they are even publicly traded.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what about.........a company that makes "supports" such as ankle brances, back supports, etc...professionals choice - they do all sorts of boots for horses & supports for people.....maybe them?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#or a firm that makes performance supplements?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Emerald » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you know anyone keen on Stocks and Trading?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know some one I can ask for you .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby Hev339 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'm on the case! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I've been looking on the New York Stock Exchange website, and I'm hoping to find something there. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'll let you know how it turns out. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
EMERALD: I hope you realize I am going to HAVE to view these pictures! Let me know when you get them. #ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Littlegreymare » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Something like Millars or Shedrow etc. should be publicly traded!  Or even check into Cavalier in Stratford, I know a couple people who work in the office there and they'd be more than helpful.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Miller's went bankrupt a few years ago...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Littlegreymare » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Ruth - shows how brand name oriented I am :p#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm very saddened that Millers is gone...:(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A lot of their stuff got picked up by other companies. I only knew because the only thing that keeps my horse from getting girth sores are the girth socks Miller's used to market. Someone did pick those up, I heard a rumor that Baker's is carrying them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So did you come up with anything yet?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Hev339 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Right now I'm researching Shedrow, to see if I can come up with anything. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Everyone else in the class is looking at hockey teams and equipment and
things like that, so I was hoping to be different on this one. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Thanks again everyone, for your suggestions! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let us know how it goes.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie