My New Home

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

My New Home

Postby geldinggirlie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just thought I'd Share :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Our House as a Hole in the ground:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=245 src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/amybear1981/IMG_0851.jpg" width=498#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=301 src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/amybear1981/IMG_0845.jpg" width=533#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And the Current Status of our Home!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/amybear1981/IMG_0903.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
geldinggirlie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol, cool!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember when my old house was being built I always liked going back to see the updates...and even when it just had a wood frame I would always picture how I would arrange my furniture in my room and such...it was fun...lol...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#cool.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#at least you know they're doing something! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby geldinggirlie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:19 pm

LOL I Drive by it everyday on my way to & From work, so I can always see what's going on :)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
We actually are thinking about how we're going to arrange the furniture
so we can figure out where we're going to put the Phone/Cable outlets.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I never realized how MUCH there is to think about and things to
decide.  We signed off on our Oak Staircase today along with the
Gas Rough in for the Kitchen & a microwave shelf.   Our
"Free" Upgrades have suddenly dissappeared LOL#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
geldinggirlie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, you want to talk to my co-worker about "free" upgrades. I don't think she would ever buy a new home again, and certainly not from the builder they dealt with this time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#congrats GG glad to see there is progress going on#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby BBelleTB » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#congratulations on the new house!!!  That is exciting~#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Make sure you check in on the site as often as possible....  I have heard horror stories of houses being built... My bf's parents house was built a few years ago and his dad supervised the whole thing after he found out the workers were throwing garbage/recycling etc in the site where the house was going up, and just building over it, as well as taking shortcuts with wiring etc... Supervise(Sp?) as much as possible!!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lets see pics as it keeps developing#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#:)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BBelleTB
Groupie
Groupie

Postby geldinggirlie » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:28 pm

For all the reasons above, we thoroughly researched Marz -- our Builder
--  and examined several of their other building sites before we
decided to purchase. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
This Builder has a very good reputation and the owner is actually the
President (?) or something of the Ontario Home Builder's Association at
the moment.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I also work with someone who is related to 1 of the sales people who
are responsible for this particular site and has met the owner on
several occasions.  This company seems to take great pride in
their work, and Chris and I are quite confident we have made an
excellent decision.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
geldinggirlie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby moongirl » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats to you both.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have to say that I hated every second in the house we had built.  It was a cold sterile home with no feeling and it never felt like home no matter what we did to it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We would never in a million years buy another brand new again.  Come to think of it, now that we live in the country, I would never live in the city again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The best thing about the brand new house though is that we made a lot of $ on it at resale 3 years later  :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Enjoy your new place!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
They're magically delicious!
moongirl
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thats sooo cool GG!!! Is it very expensive to build your own house? I know for new houses already built they most likely charge more because of market value. Ive always been interested in building and stuff though. And the cost differences. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would love to be building a home right now, but I'm happy where we are renting for the moment. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby geldinggirlie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena -- For US it was more cost efficient.  The already-built houses we were looking at in the area we needed to buy all needed about 30 - 50,000 worth of work which added up to being what we bought our house for! And it will have everything (or mostly everything) We want in it with us just needing to paint, no major reconstruction!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We're not overly handy people, so this definitely turned out the way for us to go.  That and we love the neighbourhood & the area, and resale wise we're looking at a 50,000 increase in our market value with what we paid.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's definitely a situation by situation decision, but buying new was definitely the way to go for us.,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
geldinggirlie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I might have missed this but did you make us the plans by yourselves or did you get already made plans for the layout of your house?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember when my parents built their house.  My dad is an eleectrician, my grandfather operated heavy equipment and built HIS house years ago, my dad's best friend was a plumber, and he had a slew of other quite handy friends.  They bought their land for super cheap from my aunt and uncle, and since they literaly did everything themselves, they built a house that's appraised at $140,000 for less than half that.... all it cost was materials, pizza, and beer.  I remember my grandfather laying the concrete blocks for the foundation and putting dollar bills and some coins in the layers....he said that way we'd never be poor.  In every way, that house is ALWAYS home... so many great memories.  Even though I've moved out now, and my brother will be off to cllege in a couple years, I can never ever see my parents selling that house.   I think you'll have many great memories there :) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby geldinggirlie » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We plan on never moving :) Chris and i HATE Moving.  I want this to be our home, with none of the stresses of having to uproot ourselves and move again.  Barnbrat I love houses that hold that many memories.  I would like to do a timecapsule for the day we move in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We did not design this (or are building this) Ourselves.  We walked into the sales office in the subdivision and we picked our lot.  We have purchased the End unit of a row of 4 Freehold townhomes.  We DO Get to pick all the little details -- countertops, cupboards, paint colours, etc....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
geldinggirlie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ah ok gottchya now.  That is really cool and at least this way everything will be how you wanted it and as you said not have to change anything.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge