Holy Freaky Sunday!!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Holy Freaky Sunday!!

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I went to work tonight to do the overnight (oh yay) and my friend and I usually get subs. So I went to Mr. Sub to pick us up something to eat. There's a new, younger looking kid working behind the counter so he was a little slow. I was standing there for about 5 minutes while he made this other guy's subs. I remember looking at the guy standing there and thought he looked a little weird, like in a trance or something. Then he walked over to the cash to pay. As soon as the kid turns around to get some drinks for him, I glance over at the man again. All of a sudden his eyes rolled back and he dropped like a stone, The only way to describe it is like a domino falling, stiff and straight the same way, bashing his head off the counter  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl#  So the poor kid just stands there with his mouth hanging open and I just told him to call 911 right away. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I honestly thought he was dead...he wasn't moving an inch, his eyes were wide open and unblinking, he wasn't breathing, I couldn't find a pulse i was so scared #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/6.gif"#ed_cl#  As soon as the kid hung up the phone to 911, the man blinked, sat up, and then got up and walked over to a chair #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl#  I think he may have been embarassed because he was a little rude about it all (or maybe i was just pestering him but holy CRAP i was terrified!) when I asked him if we could call anyone for him, if this had ever happened before, if this was a reoccurance was there any medication for it that we could give him? He was a little upset we called 911 and even though we tried to stop him he got up and left, saying it was just a hot flush #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl# That was some hot flush man! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I think what freaked me out the most was all I could think of was Sandy when he fell, it looked the same way, and that i honestly thought he was dead and then he just sat up #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl# Just like someone turned the power off on him and his heart and everything stopped then suddenly started again.  Its really scary that got in his car to leave afterward despite our best intentions to stop him. Whoever he is I hope he is ok, but man it has really freaked me right out...I wonder what really happened, if there's a medical reason for it?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Rio Roulette » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds like he fainted. That's a lot like a switch going off, happened to me once in a bank. I was over hungry (it was lunch and the line up was long) and it was winter and I was overheating. I dropped like a stone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chisholm » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds like a mild seizer or something, that fact that he had a blank weird look before hand.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow that would be freaky. I dont think I would have let him leave or drive like that. Thats dangerous. It does sound like a seizure, or fainting because of lack of food. My friend fainted after a horse show before. She hadn't had anything to eat all day, she was drinking though. She fainted a few other times and they had to do some testing on her and she wasnt allowed to drive for awhile. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#totally weird!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope he's ok#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#kudos to you for trying to help him#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby rubberman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I believe it could be an epileptic seizure and it is known as a petit mal (not the grand mal which resembles a convulsions).  The milder seizures are like a blanking out where the whole system simply shuts down momentarily and there are no convulsions.  Most epileptics will feel the attack coming on  and will sit down but I think the petit mal has less of a warning and is harder for them to detect.  I have found that most epileptics are embarassed by their seizures and some of them do tend to be a little defensive.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby draftdriver » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:34 am

I agree with R'man. I saw a woman have a seizure with convulsions on a city bus. Afterward, she got up and left the bus, just like nothing had ever happened. Instructors in First Aid courses will tell you that epileptic persons are often embarassed after these episodes. I think if I were that man, I would be wearing a Medic Alert bracelet. I hope he doesn't drive a car!
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby rubberman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soda, I just wanted to add that the fact that it was a guy does not help.  Being male I can sympathize because even if I am slightly injured in a fall while riding I will get back on and continue as though nothing happened even if I am in pain (trust me it is a male thing we are hard wired not to show too much pain because it is a sign of weakness) especially around women.  The funny thing is that most women have a much greater tolerance to pain (ie. higher pain threshold) than men. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow Sp that must have been scary.  You did all you could from the sounds of it.  What happened with 911 did you call them back or did they arrive?  Did they seem at all worried that the guy drove off?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It could have been either a fainting spell or an epileptic attack. If he has been diagnosed with Epilepsy, then he wouldn't have a driver's licence as they are a danger to society behind the wheel(imagine having a seizure at 100km/hr!!!) My mom has Epilepsy and she does not have a licence, and never will. As for trying to get the man to stay, that's all you can do, you can't force him to stay. As for calling 911 that was the right thing to do, but the operator should have suggested opening his wallet for ID. Not your fault, but I hope that you fell better that you did do the right thing, and there really is no way that you could have stopped him from leaving.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Emerald » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would tend to agree with the theory of Eplilectic attack, I had a friend who would just go blank for a couple of minutes, it was funny, I was teaching him something, and I thought he was ignoring me, or didn't understand what I asked him to do. then he explained to me the mild eplilepsy. and He did not have a drivers license. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP, was this person Drinking? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have also seen people fall asleep in a standing position, high blood pressure, or really low blood pressure can cause fainting. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But , all in all, no one should be driving if they are feeling Dizzy and the 911 Call a definate must. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby goldendryad » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, thank goodness he didn't die! That must have been scary....maybe it was a seizure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My little bro's best bud has epilepsy...the first time it happened they were out 4-wheeling/quading. Suddenly Nathan stopped and fell over (they weren't going fast) and they thought he was kidding around until he started convulsing and then they rushed for help. Poor kid. He can still drive..I dunno if it's cuz of the meds he is on?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think if an epileptic goes a certain number of years seizure-free they can have their license. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yup Ruth you are right, they can apply for their licence if they haven't had a seizure in (I THINK) 7 years. But if they have even 1 during that time then they are back to square 1.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Arcadia » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My niece went through a period of having seizures, they suddenly stopped.  She got her license back after one year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to The Lounge