Cobourg area?

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Cobourg area?

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 pm

Well, it seems that subject to house inspection we have just purchased a house a little bit north of Cobourg. Does anyone know anything about horse facilities in the area or anything else of interest about Cobourg and the area? I will leave my retired horse where he is as he is settled, happy and has several good horse buddies. It doesn't seem fair to uproot him at his age. I may be considering an addition to the family next year once we have moved and settled in.<br /><br />Now we are scrambling to declutter our existing house so that they can start showing it by Monday!! Boy, this moved unbelievably fast and I am still catching my breath. We are longing to get back to living out of town and having a dog again. We already know and like our neighbours, they are the ones that told us about the house and are encouraging us to move there. It seems that all the people around us are similar in age, lots of pot lucks and socializing and all their "kids" are around the age of our son although most aren't living at home.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's beautiful country there - Northumberland County. I had a friend who owned a greyhound operation in Baltimore, she has since passed away. I love driving through that area. And Cobourg's s a nice town, one of my usual stops on the drive to Toronto. Especially now that&nbsp;it has a Walmart,..... :) I've always seen a lot of evidence of horses on my drives through. And I bought my first horse in Campbellford from a woman involved in the Bethany Hunt. And your neighbourhood sounds terrific. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby tbbrat » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't know much about it, but it is beautiful country!&nbsp; My second horse, Levis (pony actually) came from there. Congrats on your new house!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yeah I also do not know about the horse situation other then when driving through that area I see a lot of horses...&nbsp; Gorgeous area and it sounds like the ideal neighbourhood!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Hev339 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:19 am

Congrats on the new house, Elizabeth! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'm not too far from Cobourg but also not too familiar with what's
around there in terms of horses. I know there's a lot in the
Peterborough area, but I'm sure someone else can give you more (and
better!) details. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know there are several places in the area, both large and small.&nbsp; There's HighPointe&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#A href="http://www.highpointeinn.com/"#ed_cl#http://www.highpointeinn.com/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#&nbsp;but I know there are others.&nbsp; Let me see if I can find any more.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks everyone. It is getting exciting as we are having the house inspection done on Thursday morning.

We will be just outside Baltimore and High Pointe is actually on the same road, walking distance.

Yes, it is very beautiful. The property is surrounded by trees with about an acre or so of grass round the house. It is SO peaceful up there.

I have quite a few clients around the Peterborough and Lindsay areas so moving in that direction isn't such a big upheaval. There is a Via Rail train into Toronto twice a day that my husband can take on the days that he needs to be downtown, otherwise he and I will both work pretty much from home. We hadn't wanted to move in the winter but that's the way it goes. It feels very strange packing stuff already but we have to clear so much stuff out of the way it is easier to pack it up now.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#elizabeth - congrats! it sounds lovely!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope it all works out for you. when are you actually moving? it's not quite winter eyt you know! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not familiar with the area, but a friend of mine has 2 horses in the Cobourg area at a farm belonging to a Mr. Dew. I know the care is good and the cost is reasonable. It is a racehorse/foaling oriented place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:44 pm

Well, we close on January 16th but it may change when we get an offer on this place. The real estate agent was here an hour ago and says that it is likely that the purchaser will want to move before Christmas. Yikes. I have so much on the next two months. The seller of the house in Cobourg is open to an earlier closing, in fact he would prefer it. I am staring at this huge list of things to do before they start to show it on Monday and trying not to panic. Thank goodness my husband is being wonderful.

I have no idea what to do about the fact that my mum is sending me the money to go to England to visit her for a week sometime in November. Too much to do and not enough days to do it all!! BREATHE. lol
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes breathe - lol....you'll have to see how things go with the closings before you can planon when you're moving.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as for this weekend....get the hard stuff done first, split the list with hubby.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and yes - take a week &amp; go to england, you'll probably need it by then!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Moving

Postby fusspot » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Elizabeth, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats on the upcoming move, this is a beautiful part of&nbsp;the country to live. &nbsp;Cobourg is the centre of commerce with the Mall, Walmart, lots of restaurants and nice boutiques downtown (Home Depot and Loblaws coming soon). Next to Cobourg is Port Hope, which is a mecca for antique hunters. PH has a ton of quaint little specialty shops (think expensive), lovely B &amp; B's and a great atmospheric theatre. The whole area is known for it's spas. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I&nbsp;am just east of Baltimore, so we will almost be neighbours (lol, well at least in the same neck of the woods, I'm a good 10 minute drive from you)! I know all the horse facilities in the area, the good, the bad and the ugly. Feel free to email me with any questions. atomizer 'at' eagle 'dot' ca #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
fusspot

Postby shytech74 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You'll like it here in the Northumberland Hills :)&nbsp; I live 40 minutes east of Cobourg on the edge of Campbellford. I have clients in the Cobourg/Baltimore area.&nbsp; On Centreton Rd there are a few horse places, take a drive and pop in :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio - did you buy your horse off of Alex and Suzanne Dow?&nbsp; If so they are my neighbours to the north. Their farm adjoins mine, nice folks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shytech74
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Elizabeth, I don't know that area at all but I just wanted to offer my "congratulations".&nbsp; This is GREAT news!!&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the a lot of us horsey city-dwellers share the dream of being able to live in the country with our horses in our back yard.&nbsp; Is your new place going to be able to accommodate horses??&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just take one day at a time right now.&nbsp; Get to Monday, then worry about closing dates, THEN worry about whether you will have time or not to visit your mother.&nbsp; Could you not go in the New Year if things get too hectic before Christmas??&nbsp; I'm sure that your mom would understand (they usually do).&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:39 pm

Shytech, what do you do? You mention clients so I am curious :) I think I should know but my mind is preoccupied and I can't remember.

Well, we are progressing. The house inspection was done yesterday, nothing we weren't aware of, just waiting for the report.

This place is starting to look reasonable. We were supposed to have the windows cleaned today but the guy didn't show :( Not good. They are taking inside movies on Monday and it will be available for showing then. Lots of people driving by and stopping and the real estate agent had a request to show today which we politely declined as well as several emails from interested people. There is still cleaning to finish up and a few more boxes to move.

I figured out the reason for all my stress - last time I moved was when my husband and I separated (we are back together again now) and our last Golden had to be put down days before. No wonder I am going into overwhelm. Hubby figured it out about the same time that I did. Boy, has he changed, in the past he wouldn't have even given it a thought!!!

I won't be keeping horses at the house but with an equestrian centre a short walk through the woods if I get a youngster next year I can potentially board him there. My retired guy is staying put in Mount Albert. He is happy and has good buddies so I really don't want to move him again at almost 25 years old. I have clients over that way so I can combine business with visiting him once a week or so.

Fusspot, I am going to email you when I get a bit more time, maybe later today. I'd like to get an idea about the places in the area just in case the youngster works out or if I decide to move my retired horse after all. It would have to be somewhere very special for him though as he is well pampered and loved where he is.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:22 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Congrats on your new home Elizabeth.&nbsp; I used to go to Coburg many times years ago, I had an Aunt and Uncle there that I would visit regulary.&nbsp; Coburg was such a quaint little town then...I went trough it this past summer while I was up in that area and my gosh I would not have recognized the town&nbsp; I also went throug Baltimore, remembered it from many years ago as well...nothing stays the same does it.&nbsp; And yes I remember many places that had horses in fact my cousin had a horse and her best friend who lived on a farm right behind them had her horses,&nbsp; I think that you will really enjoy living in the area Elizabeth...good luck with it.&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge