UPDATED!!! - Need serious cat help! Please!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby Lix » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#MB - There's a strong possibility you may be right here.  I've done some reading on cat sites and this URI aka 'cat flu' is extremely common and she has pretty well every symptom - specially the eyes.. :(  And they say they get URI from not eating enough and being out in the cold.  Well - she was cold and she's the skinniest thing ever. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Darn. :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks to everyone else who responded.  I so very very very much appreciate it.  I've been checking the post all day.  I swear - I'm completely clueless when it comes to felines.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes - a kittly litter.  Will have to get one of those!  There weren't any at the store I was at today and everything was closing!  We did get her some food though - and some flea shampoo if we are ever brave enough to attempt that.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She's doing okay though.  We are feeding her 'little and often'.  And she has a big appetite so that's great.  You can tell she's getting some strength from it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lola - yes, she has the extra toes! ;)  so cute.   It's great to hear you've been through something similar with you cat!  Well it's not great in terms of the cat's state, but of how it all worked out in the end for you.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We'll take her to the vet for sure on Monday.  Gosh I hope this doesn't cost 300$ right now.  We are so darn broke.  I hope like you said Chisholm and Elizabeth, that the vet clinic will give us some kind of rebate for being a good samaritan for a stray cat. *sigh*  If that doesn't work, we'll call a place in Ottawa see if they would help us out just to nurse her back to health.  Poor little sweetie.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been consumed with this all day.  I feel so terrible for her.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's some updated pics.  We have taken you suggestion and we are wiping regularly but it comes back almost right away.  She hadn't been wiped before these pics (she was taking her first nap ;)) but here she is in her box:  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just noticed her little eyes are closed in the second pic, lol.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lixandmeeka/Catpics039.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lixandmeeka/Catpics041.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby rubberman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:13 pm

Hi Lix you seem to be doing everything right for the cat.  I think
Megan is right about the URD because of the cats eye infection. 
Hopefully you picked up the cat on time and the food will help the cat
fight the infection.  Mrs. R and I picked up a stray on
Thanksgiving but it was in slightly better shape than your foundling
but it did have a bad case of mange which has been treated (had to keep
TeeDee in isolation for a week while the medication took care of the
mange) and it was very skinny but over the past week and a half it has
gained a bit of weight.  I guess this is the time of year for
abandoned cats.  But kudos to you for taking it in.
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aww, that cat is adorable!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Other than the eyes, I think she looks alright- she's not horribly skinny (although she is furry so that could be hiding it).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, regular milk is not good for cats- cats are lactose intolerant to that stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd give her water (or the chicken broth- although I never knew that)- and warm it a little because it's cold, I'm sure the warm would make her feel nice. You can pick her up some dry cat food, or give her tuna if you have nothing else.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You could try just calling the emergency clinic and seeing if they'll just give you some over the phone advice- my parents did this once when we found a baby bird all by itself in our backyard.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that's very nice of you to try and help her. She is very cute. I think I would be torn to do the same. Although, I'm personally really not a fan of SPCA places (just because alot of the time they must euthanize), so if you have to get rid of her, try sending her to a rescue instead. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

re

Postby lola s » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#One thing you can look forward to, if you decide to keep her, is her being very greatful to you.  As soon as my guy got his strength back, he rewarded me with many dead creatures.  Unfortunately, he would bring them in through the window and lay them out on the kitchen table for me (headless birds, mice, etc.).  The worst was when he stuffed a dead mouse in the pocket of one of my jackets that was hanging on the back of the chair.  I went to work with it and it went `off'.  I doubt I've ever been more creeped out by an animal in my life.  He's scaled back on `feeding' me though.  I think seeing me scream and run away so many times finally drove it home to him that he doesn't owe me anything.  I had to shave the poor guy though. He was in rough shape. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG style="WIDTH: 256px; HEIGHT: 145px" height=28 src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/starstarredux/me013.jpg" width=154#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG lola - that's hilarious!  But #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#yuck#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#!  I would have reacted the same way!!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, your little one did seem in really bad shape.  I'm so glad you were able to bring him back to health.  What a cutie.  And adorable with the dog.  Thanks for posting that pic.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's right RM - I remember you saying now you recently picked up a stray also!  I'm glad TeeDee is doing better.  Mange is a pain.  My dogs had it when we got first got them.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU- yeah, I think the photo may be a bit deceiving.  She is really boney.  I almost cried when I first picked her up.  You can't feel anything between her skin and her bones.  Her hips feel so gross.  And she walks kind of funny.  A bit crouched down but I think that's cause she was weak.  She's a bit straighter now.  Thanks for the other little tips! ;)  I agree, I would be afraid of the SPCA putting down this cat because she is in really bad shape.  I'm sure they have waaaay too many cats as it is.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm really hoping we can bring the little girl back to health.  Here's a really cute pic I got this morning of her sleeping.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lixandmeeka/Catpics067.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby zooka » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is adorable.  does she seem stronger today?  Hopefully the vets will be nice and not charge too much since all you are trying to do is help this cat out.  Good luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby maddys_girl » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:57 am

Hi Lix!
Good for you picking up the kitty...she seems very cute!

I would also suspect a URI, so taking her to a vet would probably be beneficial. When I worked for a vet, we often gave out advice on animals...I'm sure if you called your clinic and asked them for some advice and a quote, since it is a rescue, they could be able to help you a little more.

Yes, chicken broth and warm water is very good for them. Even if you drizzle the dry food with some warm chicken broth....if she's not eating at all.

There is also a really good product for cats called Rebound Feline, its electrolytes, and meal replacement. Its not that expensive and an help them get up their strength.

Let us know what happens if you take her to a vet...she sure is a cutie! :)
maddys_girl
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *rickie* » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:07 pm

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
Lix wrote:We did get her some food though - and some flea shampoo if we are ever brave enough to attempt that. 
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Lix, just to let you know the flea shampoo is useless!! All it does it kill the adult fleas that are ON her, If she does have fleas, they will lay eggs, in the garage & the blankets you've put down for her, and those will not be killed, so then you still have a flea problem, as those hatch, the cycle will start again. Also be VERY careful, as you could bring a flea into your house, while visiting with her!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#The best product for fleas, is a product called Advantage (not the same stuff that WalMart sells!!) You can only get in a vets office, and it's a tub that you place in between their shoulder blades, once a month, and it kills all the fleas that are on her, within 12hrs, and then, when the eggs hatch, they fleas jump on her and don't even have to bit. They just come in contact with the Advantage and it kills them. Best stull for animals, but it can only be bought from a vets office.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#As for taking kitty to a vet.....is there not a pound in your area?? I know that the vet that I work for, works directly with the pound, and if somone finds a cat (such as you have done) they call the pound and the pound picks the kitty up, takes it to us, we treat it, (the county in which the pet was found pays the bills) and if you want the kitty when it's all healed up, you just pay a small fee and adopt it from the pound (fee always less than the vet bills). If they know that you want it when you give it over to them, they will let you know when it's ready to leave.....at least this is how it works in my area.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Also, we have a kitty VERY MUCH like the kitty you have, at our clinic right now, and she is 9-10 years old, so it is quite possible that she's just a very little kitty. Do check her ears for a tatto....cause if she has one, then they will be able to track her owners down. (The kitty we have at our office has 2 tattoos, and she was found about a 20min drive from where she lived!!)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Oh, and as for food, the best stuff that you can buy at a grocery store would be Iams.....and I believe that Zellers sells it for the cheapest I've seen, about $11.99 a bag.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#But congrats to you for picky up kitty! She really is adorable...I'd keep her if the hubby would let me!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby bay mare » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aww poor girl, hopefully shes feeling better soon.  Kudos to you Lix for taking her in.   Yes, I would say she is a she, a dilute calico and a polydactyl (extra toes).     She looks in advance stages of URI and needs meds asap.    Once she gets some good food and antibiotics into her, she will be good as new in no time.   She should also be scanned for a microchip incase she has been lost.   The shelters are flooded with cats right now and because of that most have this virus.  We use sacs of oats and warm them up in the mircowave for 2 minutes and put them under their towels to keep them comfy.    They stay warm for a hours and it really helps when they feeling under the weather, so to speak.   As for the fleas, revolution is great.    It is a similar application as advantage, but it protects against more.  She is looking better in your pics since the first ones.   Good luck with her! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
bay mare
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby GoDDeSSofWiNgS » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#u know u want to keep her!!!!!!!!!!!!  she is so fluffy and cute!  awe I want a kitty now...stupid apartment with no pet rule. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Woodbine = Heaven

Barbaro: We will never know and that will always pain us most
GoDDeSSofWiNgS
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Hev339 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:30 pm

She is a very pretty kitty...kinda reminds me of my own (I found her 4 years ago now, and she's my best animal buddy!). #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Just wanted to say that she is a very lucky kitty to have someone like
you pick her up and try your best to bring her back to health. Always
makes me smile when I hear stories like this. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I hope all goes well! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
(P.S. If she still has bad diarrhea, boil a piece of chicken and give
it to her a little bit at a time...this will make her *ahem* a little
more comfortable and "normal." This works when they're not using their
litterboxes, or are using them a little too often...I've tried it,
works like a charm!). #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Guys - I appreciate the tips so much (the electrolytes, the chicken, the chicken broth, etc.)!  ;)  Thanks again! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We got through another night last night.  Her spirits seem good, she meows at us alot and is craving attention more than food right now I think.  Though I'm glad she still has a good appetite and I've seen her drink some of her water too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing that was kind of sad is all day Sunday, she seemed even more confused, i.e. when we walk out into the garage, she hears us but doesn't know where to look for us.  She's always frantic trying to find out where we are.  I really don't think she can see much, if at all.  She's going to the vet tonight for sure.  Well, I don't have an appointment but I won't take no for an answer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for Advantage - I know what you are talking about rickie.  As bay mare said, I've heard of "revolution" which works the same way.  We use it on our dogs.  Good little product. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the pound, lol, as GOW said, I think we want to keep the little girl. ;)  She's weaved her way into our hearts already.  She's almost annoying, lol!  When you go into the garage, she's right on your heels (after she's figured out where you are).  She's getting more gutsy now too and she climbs on you to be picked up and cuddled. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mr. Lix is going to the vet with her by himself tonight.  (I have a Dr. appointment).  Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well for her!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll definitely update!  Oh, and thanks for all the words of encouragement.  Horse people rock for that.  When I tell 'non animal people' about this cat, they just look disgusted that I would have picked up a diseased creature.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well lix - kudos to you for taking her in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sounds like you've done the best you can for her up util now....hopw the vet has some good things to say & that she'll be all better in no time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:57 am

GoDDeSSofWiNgS wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#awe I want a kitty now...stupid apartment with no pet rule. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#GoW - FYI - that rule isn't legal. look up the tenant protection act for ontario (i've been through this with a former landlord). they can stipulate all they want about nopets in the lease, or whatever, but it has no legal standing.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#according to the tenant protection act, your ;andlord cannot prevent you from owning a pet. i belive it's section 15....but not exactly sure. look it up! everytime i hear of people getting rid of pets becasue their landlord says they can't have it, i tell them about this rule.....the only way they can say no, if if they can prove the pet is destroying their house/apt/whatever.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck with the vet visit tonight and keep us posted! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby GoDDeSSofWiNgS » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehehe thanks BT - uh oh now I want a kitty lol and I can have one!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Woodbine = Heaven

Barbaro: We will never know and that will always pain us most
GoDDeSSofWiNgS
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GoW - tee hee...those landlords like to have all sorts of clauses etc in their agreements & leases, so they hate people like me, who pay attention to the TPA & understand the rules & guidelines it sets out. don't be afraid to call them - they are there to help you!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and yes, now you can get a kitty (oh, and fyi...landlord can't ask for a damage deposit upfront either, only first & last). damages are only paid after kitty destroys the place, lol!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lix, let us know how it goes!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#So here's the update guys!  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I can't believe this - SHE IS 10 YEARS old!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/4.gif"#ed_cl#  The vet wasn't sure at first (she's tiny) but she said most of her front teeth are missing and the ones that are still there in the back, are kind of rotting.  So she's not a kitten!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#She has lice, fleas and an eye infection (the whole thing is severe enough that she may remain blind in one eye or not - we'll have to see).  She may have a URI which she said not to worry about too much - it should clear up with the meds for the other things and as she gains weight.  She also said she was severly under weight - which we knew.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#She had to get a shot for the lice (Advantage or Revolution doesn't work for lice).  We have to give her some antibiotic pills and some eye drops and the vet said she should be fine.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#About being outside - she said she's going to be absolutely fine.  She said with her condition, that she's likely been fending for herself for some time now.  I don't want her to get to that point ever again though, so we are thinking of where we are going to keep her (probably mostly in the garage, some outdoor in summer, and some time in the basement in the winter)  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#She is not microchiped or tattoo'd.  So I guess she is now 'ours'.  I'm not sure what her story is.  Maybe she was a loved house cat that got lost, maybe she was abandoned, I don't know.  All we know is she was about to die so good thing we found the little stinky!  ;)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Poor little thing.  I can't believe she is that condition and a#ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl# senior!#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#  I never want her to have to suffer like that again.  :(  Man, I am a softie.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Sooooooo - we found her a name. #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#bf005f size=4#ed_cl# Jumu#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#!  It means "chance" in swahili.  Close second was "nuka" which means stink, lol. ;)  Oh, and rest assured, she will be loved and cuddled.  I'm already having to fend off my Dad and Mr. Lix who claim they have formed a bond with her already, lol.  My Dad even bought her fishy treats tonight. ;)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Judy F » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:21 pm

I have a trick for pilling my cats now.  My big old cat 'Bandit'
was hyperthyroid due to a growth on his thyroid glands and got very
upset about the pills I was giving him (poor guy, they were causing him
pain).  He got EXTREMELY violent to avoid them before I realized
they were causing a problem and got him to a vet for the radioactive
iodine treatment (worked like a charm).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
But, he and the rest of my guys just HATE pills.  So now I just
reduce to pill to a powder and mix it with about a teaspoon (half a
tsp?) of the gravy from a Whiskas pate pouch dinner, slurp it up in a
baby syringe (P-D-Dose) and squirt it into their mouths.  Now they
get most of med all of the time.  You wouldn't believe how many
half-dissolved pills I found behind the big chair!  Bandit got
really good and pretending to swallow, then spitting them out later.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:47 pm

Oh Lix, what a lucky kitty she is to have found you and your family. Good news that the vet thinks she will be ok. I love her name, very unique and very fitting. She is such a pretty lady, I am not surprised that she has taken a place in all your hearts. Good for you for taking her in and caring.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge