UPDATED!!! - Need serious cat help! Please!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

UPDATED!!! - Need serious cat help! Please!

Postby Lix » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HELP!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, self proclaimed non cat person here... But this is just too sad and I really need your help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I go to the barn this morning to meet the farrier.  There was a cat on the side of the road not moving around much and looking terrible.  He was there when I came back about 30-35 minutes later.  Anyway, I tell my bf about it when I get home and he says we should go check him out.  We picked him up.  It's a young cat - albeit very friendly considering he looks wild.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's clearly not well.  (I say "he" but I have no idea what gender it is).  His face is full of gunk.  He's shaking.  He seems blind, at least in one eye.  And he's #ed_op#U#ed_cl#skinny#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#!  I know, I know, we probably shouldn't be touching him, but wow, it's so heartbreaking.  If he was a healthy cat, he'd be gorgeous!  It's funny too cause he's got those funny front feet.  ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We just picked him up about an hour ago and put him in the garage.  I gave him some milk and he seemed to energize a bit.  He's still shaking though and I feel bad cause it's freeeeezing in the garage.  I did put an old horse blanket on the floor for him though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know what to do!!!!  Help!  I don't even know what I should be giving him or what the do's and don'ts are in these cases!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know he's probably full of problems, but I'm not going to just leave him there!  If he can get semi healthy again, we'll keep him as an outdoor cat and make a home for him in the barn.  It's just sooooooooo sad. :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, I really need your help!  What should I be doing with this cat to make him feel better?  What should I be doing to protect myself and my dogs against disease?  He so darn friendly though.  He loves the human attention which is surprising. I can't bring him to the vet right now so it will have to wait until next week if he makes it until then.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's some pics:  (see what I mean about the eye? it's the right one #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/8.gif"#ed_cl#)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lixandmeeka/Catpics017.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lixandmeeka/Catpics011.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lixandmeeka/Catpics012.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Lix on Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lix

Postby TequillaJack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as wierd as this sounds give him pure chicken broth, it will rehydrate him/her quick and also help fight off some of the ickiness.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where are you located?  I have a good Vet friend that takes in cats like this to make them better then find them loving homes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as far as protecting yourself and dogs, treat the cat like a person in isolation, have one change of clothes you wear to see the cat then change out of them before you go back into your house, and wash down like crazy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby TequillaJack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and if you have baby wips clean his eyes with those, if not an old face cloth with just water, that alone can help get whatever infection is in them out#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know you are probably not looking to spend a lot of money on a foundling cat, but take him to the vet - today would be good, most small animal vets are open on Saturday. Chicken broth is much better than milk, if it is still young enough to be needing milk then cow's milk won't be the best thing anyway. It may need antibiotics for the eyes, and if it's friendly it's probably not wild, it's more likely lost or has been dumped - entirely possible if it got sick. Which makes me sick, even though I'm not a cat person either. Good luck and kudos for picking it up!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lix, it is a nice looking cat. I'm going to guess its a SHE, if only beause it looks to be calico and 99.9% of calicos are female (just like 99.9$ of orange cats are male). I think there was a thread on that a while ago.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you have a Humane Society near you? They would probably take the kitty.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ditto on the milk, not good for cats. I like the chicken broth idea... No one said warm or not, but I know with people, drinking warm (like tea warm/hot) water is better for you - your body absorbs more of it then if the water is cold. Wonder if it is the same for animals?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thumbs up for going back for the poor guy. Good job!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is great of you to take this cat in and try to help it.  I agree with the advice that has been given and really do not have much that I could add just good luck and i hope this kitty gets better!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Awww- you guys are the best!  Thanks!  ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok - so I got it - no milk for cats!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I brought him some warm chicken broth just now.  He was too interested in me to look at it but I'm sure must have taken a lick when I left.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also made him a box with blankets warmed up in the dryer.  Looks real cozy in there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh - and yes.  Good idea about the wipes!  We wiped his little face down and he looks more decent now. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's got diarreah...  yuck.  I guess it's probably from not eating and then finally having something in his stomach.  I think I'm going to have to throw the blankets in the wash shortly!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The vet is closed right now.  I can go to the city but it's only an emergency clinic which as you figured, charges an arm and a leg.  I could take him on Monday to my vet.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How about a bath?  Do you think I should attempt that?  He's a little stinky. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for cat illnesses and diseases... are they normally transferable to dogs?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can tell I know nothing about cats eh... ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll take some updated pics shortly in his cozy box with his 'new' face. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Lix on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lix

Postby Lix » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh Tequilla jack - I'm located 35 mins East of Ottawa.  Small village/town called Casselman.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where is your vet friend from?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the Humane Society - it's a possibility.  If I don't feel I can care for it properly, or if the vet diagnoses 10 diseases on him when I go that I just can't afford to treat, I'll bring him there.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I really want to try and make him more comfortable and healthy and see if he wouldn't mind being a garage or barn cat.  We have run into another cat living in our barn.  THis one is so wild we've never even been close to it.  He was chasing mice in our field the other day and we tried to lure him with food but it wasn't happening.  We can get closer to the deer than we can to the cat.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh - Thanks MnR for the tip on it probably being a 'she'!  lol.  It figures, I already have a female horse, and 3 female dogs.  Why would the cat be a male! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby TequillaJack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She's in Toronto so that doesn't do you much good, unless your coming this way for the royal or something.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cats are most likely to drink anything if it is just a room temperature.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Did you buy the cat any kind of food?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Lix » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nope - no food yet other than a bit of milk, chicken broth, water and a teaspoon of tuna (is that bad?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- we haven't gone out yet but will shortly before the stores close.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any advice on food or anything else I should pick up while I'm out?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby TequillaJack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pick up anything for a young cat, I would just get dry food, I'm not big on the moist food.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like Iams for my cats but really anything works.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Chisholm » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lix call the local vet clinics in your area and see if they know anyone who rescues cats.  There are a lot of people that do this that work along side vet clinics.  That's how I got my cat Jeffery when someone found him and his sister only 2 days old in a ditch nearly drowned.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And Lix so far you are doing everything right.  What does her nose feel like.  Is it dry and warm or moist and cool.  Warm means fever.  If so I would get her to the vet ASAP.  And don't worry when it's a rescue they don't usualy charge.  They may decide to put her to sleep if she is really sick.   She doesn't look good in the pics.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep us up to date on what you decide.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#That kitty is so cute.  She even looks like she has extra toes.  I kinda got my cat the same way and I'm not a cat person either.  That was almost four years ago and he was so greatful, he's never left.  I don't know a lot about cats, but it sounds like you're doing everything right.  I just curse the people who dump these cats.  I think mine was dumped too as he was very tame and a bit unique looking, yet NOBODY was ever looking for him.  I hope your cat gets well.  Its amazing how loyal a `rescue' can be.  I'm still not a cat person, but I'd do anything for the one I have. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the cat looks alright.  It is hard to say by the pics but its coat looks decent, when cats are really sick their coats look very mangy.  I think the cat will most likely just need some proper TLC and something to help its eyes clear up.  Definitely take it to a vet on Monday to make sure it is OK though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lix, your kitty is a girl, and she does need to go to a vet. Quick! Kitty has an Upper Respitory problem which can be death for them. I don't think it can spread to dogs(but I'm not sure) I know it does spread to other cats quite quickly. Kitty will have 2 options(if it is an Upper Respitory thing) either she will be put down, or she will go on antibiotics for a while. Keep her fluids up ( the chicken broth is a good idea, but water works good too) and give her a nice meal and nice blankets to sleep in and good luck to the both of you!! She is a very pretty kitty! I have an affinity for calico's.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby TequillaJack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#megan why do you think the cat has a upper respitory problem#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:04 pm

I can't add to all the great advice that everyone has given you, but I agree that she is very pretty. Can you call the emergency clinic, tell them that you found a stray that is ill and ask them what they can do for her? I think most vets will treat a stray without charging or at least advise you on who to contact in your area about rescued cats. Fingers crossed that she is ok.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:35 pm

Don't forget a litter box and kitty litter!  The clumping kind
iseasier to deal with, especially if the cat has diarrhea, but don't
geta scented one.  There is a Cat Milk product from Whiskas that
isdigestible and good for them.  Warm a little bit.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#If she is smelly, she may have an abcess.  Still needs a vet.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tequilla Jack-I think it's an URI(Upper Respitory Infection) because of the colour/amount of the eye discharge. It's the #1 sign of that condition and it is VERY common with kitties in poor conditions. Like animal hoarders for example, their kitties usually have URI's, also a lot of homeless kitties will get it this time of year(the wetness and cold). It passes quite quickly from kitty to kitty. Some kitties will get eyedischarge that is not a URI(for example I had a 1 week old kitten that opened his eyes too early and got conjunctivitis(pink eye) and a little polysporin cleared it right up, but conjunc looks different then the pic of the kitty that Lix posted. I'm not a vet, but I've seen URI"s in kitties before and this is what it looks like and results are usually not great. I hope that I answered your question! And good luck Lix!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby TequillaJack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One of my cats eyes look like that all the time, has nothing to do with anything, just crud that comes out of his eyes#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to The Lounge