According to you, is it cruel to...

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

According to you, is it cruel to...

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#leave a cat outdoors?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Never really thought about it.  But now that we may have a cat, and that I'm looking into cat well-being, pretty well every source tells you it's wrong to leave a cat outside.  The cat can get hit by a car, lick-up antifreeze, get picked up by someone else, be stuck in bad weather, get a dozen diseases for which vaccinations can't protect them from, etc.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They also say that they will kill the wildlife around your house.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All these factors, they say can make an outdoor cat's life expectancy 5 years rather than over 10 like a house cat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have yet to find plus sides to leaving a cat outdoors, other than "they like it".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't handle a cat in the house.  We already have 2 rambunctious Boxers and 1 Golden Retriever.  It wouldn't work.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We were thinking of leaving her in the garage with a cat door to go outside as she pleases.  Now I'm wondering if that is just cruel and if she will just be hit by a car faster than I nurse her back to health.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What's your stance on this issue?  Is it cruel to leave cats outdoors?  For those of you who do, what is your experience?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm..my girls are all indoor cats right now, but we're in an apt.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#growing up at my mums, we always ahad cats that were indoor/outdoor cats. they were always fixed/spayed & UTD with their shots....food was inside the landry room, and they came in the back door by bugging us to let them in.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as for a total outdoor cat....i dunno - spotz has her two in the barn all year round. they have a heated tck room to hang out in with blankets & baskets to sleep in, and of course, food & water provided. they seem quite content, and not ill in anyways, oh, and they are both over 10 yrs old i do believe.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i don't think it's cruel per se provided that you provide them with somewhere warm & comfy to sleep, and food & water obviously, and vet care if/when they need it. you can always collar & ID your cat, even if it does stay outdoors, or get it microchipped.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what couldn't you handle about having her inside the house? just out of curiosity.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are tons of barn kitties around and they seem happy and not mistreated. So my view is that as long as they have shelter, then whats the harm??? She's much better off living in your garage and going outdoors to play then she is completly homeless. Give her lots of food and water and she will be a happy kitty!! Also, if you want keep kitty, you should have her spayed or you will end up with lots of kitties!!! Plus spaying her will(usually) increase her weight and make her stay closer to home. They aren't out wandering around looking for a BF!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Hev339 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:05 am

I also think it depends on the situation. My kitties at home all live
indoors...but it's because there's nowhere else for them to go but onto
a busy street. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If they are warm and fed, then I don't really think it matters where
they live. Cats are pretty independent animals most of the time,
anyway. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it can work giving your cat a snuggly place in the garage to sleep with food and water/litter box.  Providing a cat door he can come and go as he pleases.  Cats are very resourceful--they love living in the wild.  My barn cat is fixed and our 2 kitties soon will be...LOL!) and vaccinated yearly and don't get ill.  They are the picture of health.   I have lost a couple to only old age.  I am set way back from the road so they don't get hit and once neutered they stay close to home.  We have a forest directly behind the barn/house and they tend to roam out there and keep the mice population down.  Our barn is insolated and they come in from the weather and sleep in the hay.  Then in winter I set up a snuggly box with an old fleecy horse blanket.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kaleena » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are 3 barn kittys where I board. 2 males and 1 female. One male came with the place and the other 2 are strays that found their way to us. All are fixed and vaccinated, and HAVE their claws. I don't think that its cruel as someone said if they have shelter, a warm bed and food. I would just make sure that your new found kitty has her claws still and get her fixed if you are going to leave her outside. If she's been de-clawed that *might* mean that she's is used to being a house cat wouldn't do well defending herself. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, I'd never leave a declawed cat outdoors.  Their claws are their main form of defence.  But if your kitty has its claws and has been fixed, and has adequate shelter, water and food, there's no reason why it can't live outside.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I live in the city so my two cats are indoor cats.  There are just too many hazards for them to be outdoors, plus, cats tend to wander and poop in the neighbour's yards, as well as kill birds and chipmunks.  But if you're in the country and your house is set back from the road somewhat, your kitty will likely do fine living outdoors.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have you named her yet, Lix??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby AWSgurl » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have four cats and they are indoors cats, everytime I see one killed on the side of the road I thank god mine are tucked away safely, I also have two dogs and never had a problem with them all living together. I think that cats that live in a barn at least get a chance to cuddle in the warmth during the winter months, but to have a cat stay in the garage during minus 20 degrees, I don't find very appealing, all my pets are house pets and I wouldn't have it anyother way. Just my opinion....:)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Postby Positively4thStreet » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, as long as you put a cat-door in your garage, and leave her claws on, I can't see it being cruel.. I almost think it's cruel to leave a cat indoors all the time, since they seem to love it outdoors so much. Plus, they're natural hunters, and no matter how many toys you give 'em, you can't beat the real thing, I guess.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Although, don't take my opinion to heart, I don't have cats and I'm not particularly fond of them.. more of a dog person.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby MacnRio » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think it is cruel at all, and I don't believe it shortens their life!  I've had cats all my life and they were indoor/outdoor cats. One cat, Toby, was born the year before I was (by a cat my parents had), he died when I was 21!  He lived to be 22!  Another cat at my parents I got for my 13th birthday - I turned 31 yesterday, he's 18. So, I have a hard time believing it shortens their life.  Personally I think it makes it longer...... They started out as feral animals, living in the wild.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The farm came with 4 barn cats, I live on a fairly busy highway (80kph). All the barn cats are still here and are around 6 years of age.  I feed and water them and they are very happy. They find warm places to sleep and have blankets in the barn.  Just last night, I went out to give hay at 11:30 and was scared half to death, one of the tarps on approx. 200 bales of hay started to move, then one of the planks under the hay (to keep it off the ground) started to bounce. I watched as one of the barn cats came out, yawned and stretched.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, as I type this one of my indoor/outdoor cats came and lept on my lap. She is an ex-barn cat and she is 8, lived outside until last January..... my other two indoor/outdoor cats are also 8.  I was a bit leary about letting them out near a highway, but, my cats want out - they will scratch through screens.  I figure it is not fair to keep a feral by nature animal inside.  Now, I'l lbe very upset if one does get killed, but I figure its mean to keep them in if they want out so badly.  They tend to stay away from the road anyways - too much other good stuff going on in the other direction!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for killing wildlife..... I'm ok if they keep the mouse population down!! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, I also leave my dogs out 24/7 since I moved to the farm.  They have 2 doghouses, one insulated in the garage, one outside and they have access into the garage 24/7. They also ahve their "city" beds out in the garage and a large fenced area to roam around in. At first I was iffy about doing that, but, they don't even WANT to come in the house!  They look like you've given them a death sentence when you ask them to come in - ears down, tail tucked....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lix, if she's already a "wild" cat, and lived this long, I'm sure she will know how to take care of herself.  My one guy I got from our local animal control place.  He was 6 months old and picked up as a stray.  They end up being the friendliest cats, but also have the "smarts" to survive.  Give her a nice warm bed, attention, food and water and she won't go very far ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think it is necessarily cruel, my only concern would be that they get "people time", with snuggling and playing and whatever.  I think if you have a single cat in a garage, they will naturally try to find companionship.  I'm not sure how long it may stay around if it is an only cat.  But a nice warm place to sleep in the winter is essential.  One of our barn cats got herself locked out on one of the cold nights, and got frostbite on her ears and tail.  I think she holed up in one of the drive sheds out of the wind, but it was still too cold.  She now has these little tiny ears that look pretty strange. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//alien.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm glad to hear *most* don't think it's cruel and that others have outdoor cats as well.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess the difference with me and a barn is that there wouldn't be any other animals with her to cuddle in the garage.&nbsp; Unless I got another cat. ;)&nbsp; I looked in the classifieds at work and found ads for 5 free cats, lol.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not sure if she's fixed.&nbsp; Hopefully the vet will be able to help us figure that out tonight.&nbsp; She does have her claws though (and boy are they sharp - ouch!).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just don't want to make a selfish decision just for my own&nbsp;pleasure.&nbsp; :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh - and as for why I couldn't let her in the house -&nbsp;our&nbsp;dogs could never handle it.&nbsp; It's a hurricane in the house just when someone brings their dog over.&nbsp;&nbsp;Two of them are young boxer sisters that are totally not mature yet.&nbsp; They don't mean any harm at all but they pounce on anything that is new to them.&nbsp; The worst part is that there is 2 of them so the poor&nbsp;'new' animal&nbsp;has double the terror.&nbsp; &nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for your opinions.&nbsp; I will make sure to get Mr. Lix to ask the vet her thoughts on cats and the cold, etc.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Dee22 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have mixed feelings about this... on one hand, our barn cats are healthy and stay pretty warm during the winter but they also have access to the hay shed and eachother to keep themselves warm. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#On the other hand, my two cats are strictly indoor and I would never let them outdoors, I feel that, as a pet owner it would be irrisponsible for me to just let them wander around outdoors. I once hit a cat when I was driving home from the barn, it was dark and he just jumped out of the ditch onto the road, I was on top of him before I even saw him... I felt TERRIBLE about this cat, I pulled over to make sure he wasn't suffering (he was dead), I cried and cried I was SO upset... soon my sadness and guilt turned into anger and frustration, if someone cared about their animal WHY would they let them just wander around outside? Here *I* am feeling terrible for killing an animal but if the owner had been responsible and kept the pet indoors he would be safe and I would not be feeling terrible for what I'd done.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Dog owners don't let their dogs roam all over the neighborhood, running all over the road and into people's yards (and marking their territory),&nbsp;why should cats be any different?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Lix - I know your not an irrisponsible pet owner, this is just my own personal reason for not letting my own cats outdoors. If you decide to keep your cat outdoors, as Jax said, make sure he gets 'people time', is not declawed,&nbsp;has a warm / dry place to curl up and it would be great if he could have a collar with a bell on it (so he can't catch birds). :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:04 pm

Dee22 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dog owners don't let their dogs roam all over the neighborhood, running all over the road and into people's yards (and marking their territory),&nbsp;why should cats be any different?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#dee - you'd be surprised. for a few years hubby &amp; i lived in a very portuguese area of T.O. we found loose dogs all the time. but they had collars etc on...turns out the owners would let the dogs out in the a.m to "do their business", and if/when the dog came back in the house they went. now, we had issues with this (esp as one of the dogs was a pitbull!), as our guy would always got nutty seeing these dogs wandering around, or they would come up to him....and with no owners around, we don't know if the dog is friendly, sick or whatever......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lix - as for not having kitty in the house....as long as she's got her claws, she'll be fine. we've had our dog 4.5 yrs now, and i've had my cat....well she's 14-15 yrs old now. my cat lived with my sister as we'd moved somewhere she wasn't allowed to go (before i foubnd out about the law under the TPA!), so she went to stay with my sister...we moved, and we got a dog....now fastforward to october last year.....my sister is prego with twins &amp; no longer wants any of the cats in her house. i say OK, i'll take my mog &amp; the dog will have to get over it. hubby thinks the dog will tear her apart. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#cat comes home..leave her in the cat box for a bit for the dog to adjust to her smell..he sticks his nose very clsoe to the cat box &amp; she hisses &amp; spits so hard at him, he's now scared of the cat box. let her out of the cat box...she's looking around, hubby is holding the dog by the collar as the dog really, really wants to see the cat. i said let him go, they have to get used to each other. he runs over, sticks his nose in her face...she clamps onto his nose &amp; scratches him....he yelps &amp; runs away. the 100 lb rottie./dobe is scared of the 10lb cat!!!! even to this day, if she walks past him, he will cower away a bit......makes me laugh.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#bottom line....cats &amp; dogs will get along, &amp; kitty can defend herself. if you think you should try her inside first, why not? believe me, she'll look after herself. oh, and the kitty we got my daughter for christmas, who was tiddly widdly at 10 wks old, she just loves the dog!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it is fine as long as the cat has somewhere to go to get out of the elements and food and water readily available.&nbsp; The cat&nbsp;has obviously been outside for awhile so with your help I think it would be fine.&nbsp; You could get another cat but you never know some cats despise other cats...&nbsp; it is a hit and miss situation.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:00 pm

Lix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unless I got another cat. ;)&nbsp; I looked in the classifieds at work and found ads for 5 free cats, lol.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh, and lix - i'm surprised you'd even need to....leave it a bit, i'm sure more will be dumped on your doorstep, being out in nowheresville, on a "farm"...happens to a lady i work with all the time. she's in mt albert, ON, on a large property, &amp; is always getting animals dumped on her door....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cadence » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mom and dad had a farm and they had a little kitty door for the cats.&nbsp; My dad designed a little cover for the opening that could be slid off to open the door and then slid back down to seal the door so the cats wouldn't get out.&nbsp; Their litter box and food/water were inside the garage and at night, they called the cats, fed them and then slid on the cover.&nbsp; This way, they were protected from marauding dogs, coyotes and other dangers.&nbsp; After a little bit, the cats actually liked the routine and would come in at "dinnertime" and be quite contented to sleep inside for the night. Having a cover to the door also kept the skunks from coming into the garage to steal kitty food too! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have cats in our house but because they are declawed they have to stay inside.&nbsp; We lock them in their room at night with their litter box.&nbsp; It is actually my home office and Simba sleeps on an old numnah in the hutch of my desk and cinnamon sleeps on her kitty post situated right beside the window.&nbsp; 9x out of 10, I walk down the hall at 10 p.m. and they are both in bed already.&nbsp; It's a routine they're comfortable and quite happy with.&nbsp; And, it also means I don't get kitty paws across my face at 4 in the morning! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you can buy cat doors that have some way of locking to prevent animals from going in and out when you do not want them to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks all!&nbsp; I appreciate your opinions... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm posting an update on the kitty on my other thread right now! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think its perfectly fine to leave cats outside.&nbsp; My cat (who lives at my mom's still) HATES being inside all the time, although she's happy to come in for a bit.&nbsp; At the barn where I used to teach, one of the boarders fell in love with the barn cats and started spoiling them rotten.... in the winter, he got these pet bed warmers....they were disks that you placed in the microwave for like 7 minutes, and they stayed heated for 12 hrs.&nbsp; He'd put them in the cat's bed under a blanket and the cats would sleep there all night.&nbsp; I think they were like $30, but I guess if you were worried about the cat staying warm enough, it might not be a bad idea.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Next

Return to The Lounge